No announcement yet.

Silly Season is Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Otz going to Vegas was necessary at all, and if Henderson can get the Jacks at a high enough level then he could just make the jump to a high major. The players seem to enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Sounds like the Utah State job will go to the head coach at Bowling Green.
      funny how these things work out
      Guess we'll see who's right - the Aggie and BGSU insiders or Jeff Goodman who just said the front-runner is the Toledo HC

For reference Toledo and BGSU coaches are both earning over $425k per year

Edit: For what it's worth, the person (aggies22) who originally commented on Hendo having interviewed last time and being on "the list" this year was not one of those who jumped the gun on BGSU coach Todd Simon. He has since tweeted the new USU coach will be Tod Kowalczyk from Toldeo.

Edit 2: The university play-by-play guy (who initially told people to listen to Jeff Goodman) has since been told this: "Utah State is still in the interview process and no offer has been extended. All of these rumors do not help the process." Now aggies22 has deleted his previous tweet and issued an apology
      Last edited by peavy; 03-28-2024, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
        Since SDSU became eligible we have gone to the Dance 7 times. Drake has gone 3. Just sayin'
        That kind of exposure leads for coaches to explore better options to reach their highest goals, but it's a win/win as that exposure is what keeps the program going too. It is what it is, both the institution and the coach benefits.. As long as that scenario continues, we'll be alright I've got to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

That kind of exposure leads for coaches to explore better options to reach their highest goals, but it's a win/win as that exposure is what keeps the program going too. It is what it is, both the institution and the coach benefits.. As long as that scenario continues, we'll be alright I've got to believe.
          I would expect most coaches have contracts that have many tweaks which would include taking a team to March Madness. Hendo has rung up that feat 40% of the time now.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

1FCCF902-BA70-4D43-A629-EAEFD1D336F1.png

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
              Is Southern Illinois a step up from Wright State or was this a "mutual parting of ways" at Wright State?

Edit: It looks like SIU hired Nagy away. For most coaches, I doubt this is the career trajectory that Nagy envisioned when he left here. The Horizon and MVC are better conferences than the Summit but not by much.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post

Is Southern Illinois a step up from Wright State or was this a "mutual parting of ways" at Wright State?

Edit: It looks like SIU hired Nagy away. For most coaches, I doubt this is the career trajectory that Nagy envisioned when he left here. The Horizon and MVC are better conferences than the Summit but not by much.
                This would disagree:

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-ba...rating-by-conf

The Summit League has fallen a lot. It was as high as 17 in past years.

Comment

Wright State coaches records
                  Nagy did pretty well - 2 NCAAs and 2 NITs.
                  John Ross 1970–71 to 1974–75 65–54 .546
                  Marcus Jackson 1975–76 to 1977–78 45–37 .549
                  Ralph Underhill 1978–79 to 1995–96 356–162 .687
                  Jim Brown 1996–97 7–20 .259
                  Ed Schilling 1997–98 to 2002–03 75–93 .446
                  Paul Biancardi 2003–04 to 2005–06 42–44 .488
                  Brad Brownell 2006–07 to 2009–10 84–45 .651
                  Billy Donlon 2010–11 to 2015–16 108–94 .535
                  Scott Nagy 2016–17 to Present 130–62 .677
                  NCAA DII Record (1970–1986): 321–145 .689
                  NCAA DI Record (1987–present): 571–451 .559
                  Overall Record: 892-596 .599

Comment

It is preposterous to suggest that the MVC and Summit are similar because they each only had one team in the NCAA tournament.

Drake was the runner up in the regular season, and still was awarded a 10 seed in the NCAA tournament. Indiana State was widely viewed as a bubble team in spite of their loss in MVC title game. SDSU’s NET ranking of 135 would place them in 7th of MVC standings.

The Summit had 7 of 9 teams with a NET ranking of 230 and below. 8 of 11 teams in the Horizon were better than that.

The Summit league tournament has been good for SDSU. We should never let good be the enemy of Great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post

I disagree. I think Nagy probably could have gotten better jobs around the time he went to Wright State, but I feel like he loves the challenge of turning around programs. Will always love Nagy and his eternal grumpy face!

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                        It is preposterous to suggest that the MVC and Summit are similar because they each only had one team in the NCAA tournament.

Drake was the runner up in the regular season, and still was awarded a 10 seed in the NCAA tournament. Indiana State was widely viewed as a bubble team in spite of their loss in MVC title game. SDSU’s NET ranking of 135 would place them in 7th of MVC standings.

The Summit had 7 of 9 teams with a NET ranking of 230 and below. 8 of 11 teams in the Horizon were better than that.

The Summit league tournament has been good for SDSU. We should never let good be the enemy of Great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Those are some useful facts right there. Indiana State probably should have went dancing, or at least could have, but might still win the NIT. I'd take that over a mere appearance.

Comment

Utah State AD went on local radio and said they've finished zoom interviews and are starting in-person interviews now. She said to expect an announcement around the middle of next week.

The USU board is pretty chaotic right now, so the two or three people commenting on having seen (or having a source see) Hendo in town should be taken with a grain of salt

Edit: Rothstein says Toledo coach Tod Kowalczyk is staying and no longer a candidate. I guess that's the second time he's used USU to get a raise/extension
                          Last edited by peavy; 03-29-2024, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Washington State 247 board has a thread two pages long on him that started three hours ago. That'd be a pretty nice jump.

Comment

Just saw a tweet from Pete Thamel of ESPN saying that Utah State is finalizing a deal to hire Jerrod Calhoun, who is currently head coach at Youngstown State.

Comment

non pay-wall article saying Hendo is one of the interviewees for WSU job (with the news being confirmed Sat morning). The university recently announced they won't be hiring from within. Additional names from the article include David RIley (EWU), Will Conroy (former UW asst who won't be retained under new coach Danny Sprinkle), and maybe Matt Logie (Montana State).

Their pay board now has a new thread about him that's been pretty active since 3pm.

And in maybe unrelated news (although seen on the WSU board), Hendo recently followed the Idaho Gatorade Player of the Year, Kase Wynott, who decommitted from Utah State on the 25th. Previous offers by USU, EWU, Idaho, Idaho St, ISUb, Montana, Montana St, UCSD, Weber St

Comment

Working...
                                X