Silly Season is Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

Brian Peterson would be the odds on favorite internal candidate. He’s got more overall experience and received a significant pay increase to stay.
    I’ve thought the same while watching him on the sidelines the last couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
      All depends what is driving him. Money or ego? Yep, that means he leaves, even though he is making "life changing money" for someone living in Brookings SD. He doesnt seem to haventhe ego, and has virtually no pressure, has facilities, gets the best players in the region.
      again, it all depends what drives u.
      We will see.
      It would be interesting to know what's going through Hendo's mind. Is it " man, this might be my best chance to move up for awhile ", or is it " I don't feel that I can leave and put the program in a deeper hole than we're already in" ? Maybe a little of both ? I'm sure Justin Sell probably has a plan in mind if necessary.

Comment

I agree that Bryan Petersen probably would be the strongest in-house candidate to replace Hendo as head coach, if and when the day comes.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Here is a Zimmer interview with Hendo.

https://www.siouxfallslive.com/sport...ining-positive
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Not directly associated with SDSU, but just saw a report on a coaching rumors site that Scott Nagy is expected to be named the next head coach at Southern Illinois.

Comment

If they are going to hire internally, (If Hendo leaves) and that internal hire isn't Klink, then something is seriously wrong. The success of this program has his fingerprints ALL OVER it. He's a phenomenal recruiter and absolutely bleeds blue and yellow.

I hope he gets his shot.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU2011 View Post
                If they are going to hire internally, (If Hendo leaves) and that internal hire isn't Klink, then something is seriously wrong. The success of this program has his fingerprints ALL OVER it. He's a phenomenal recruiter and absolutely bleeds blue and yellow.

I hope he gets his shot.
                I do too. His loyalty to this point deserves to be rewarded.

I also think he might be the men's basketball equivalent to AJ. A guy who is engrained in the community and understands how special SDSU is.

Comment

I hope he gets his shot.
                  That is a bit silly, he’s a good guy to have but his experience is a bit incestuous … nothing but SDSU. Additionally guys have come in behind him and been promoted over him. Retained during the TJ hire to retain kids on the roster, Hendo comes in and gets promoted over him and Peterson is Hendo’s lead guy now. In today’s chaotic world how can you expect some “loyalist” to step up?

Comment

That is a bit silly, he’s a good guy to have but his experience is a bit incestuous … nothing but SDSU. Additionally guys have come in behind him and been promoted over him. Retained during the TJ hire to retain kids on the roster, Hendo comes in and gets promoted over him and Peterson is Hendo’s lead guy now. In today’s chaotic world how can you expect some “loyalist” to step up?
                    Peterson is not the lead guy now... Klink is the Associate head coach and one of, if not the highest paid assistant coaches in the SL.

Additionally, what makes Peterson's "experience" so great? He was a GA where he played, and an assistant and a HC for a JUCO.. he was successful don't get me wrong but how does that warrant a head coaching job over the assistant that has been in the program for 18!!! years?

I think either one would do a nice job, don't get me wrong, but if Klink doesn't get this job, it's a crime... IMO

Comment

Peterson is not the lead guy now... Klink is the Associate head coach and one of, if not the highest paid assistant coaches in the SL.

Additionally, what makes Peterson's "experience" so great? He was a GA where he played, and an assistant and a HC for a JUCO.. he was successful don't get me wrong but how does that warrant a head coaching job over the assistant that has been in the program for 18!!! years?

I think either one would do a nice job, don't get me wrong, but if Klink doesn't get this job, it's a crime... IMO
                      18 years! Holy crap. I knew he'd been there a long time but that's unbelievable. There aren't many head coaches anywhere with that kind of tenure let alone an assistant.

Comment

So why didn’t he get the job when Nagy left? Or when TJ left? He's been at SDSU for 18 years. His only coaching experience beyond that is D3 Buena Vista.
                        Klink is one of the highest paid coaches because he’s survived 2 coaching changes and has been retained by both guys for his connection to the community, boosters and school. A more apt question is why didn’t Nagy and TJ take him with them on their moves?

Klink is a good dude, hard worker and very connected guy … that doesn’t make him the most logical successor

Peterson’s experience is diverse including some head coaching experience. More than Klink.

Comment

This thread is living up to the moniker of "the silly season". The odds of Hendo being on someone's radar is likely equal to WK3 & Mayo in the portal. Hendo is still showing up in his Brookings office and the number of coaches who are still active in the March Madness is down to 16. Unless one of the remaining 16 teams has its sights on Hendo, we should have an indication soon of Hendo's movement. Is he itching to leave Brookings for another location? Is it unusual that he has a run like Nagy or NDSU Richman? Meanwhile we have "the silly season."
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

So why didn’t he get the job when Nagy left? Or when TJ left? He's been at SDSU for 18 years. His only coaching experience beyond that is D3 Buena Vista.
                            Klink is one of the highest paid coaches because he’s survived 2 coaching changes and has been retained by both guys for his connection to the community, boosters and school. A more apt question is why didn’t Nagy and TJ take him with them on their moves?

Klink is a good dude, hard worker and very connected guy … that doesn’t make him the most logical successor

Peterson’s experience is diverse including some head coaching experience. More than Klink.
                            This question seemingly assumes he wasn't asked. Maybe he didn't want to go to Ohio or Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                              This thread is living up to the moniker of "the silly season". The odds of Hendo being on someone's radar is likely equal to WK3 & Mayo in the portal. Hendo is still showing up in his Brookings office and the number of coaches who are still active in the March Madness is down to 16. Unless one of the remaining 16 teams has its sights on Hendo, we should have an indication soon of Hendo's movement. Is he itching to leave Brookings for another location? Is it unusual that he has a run like Nagy or NDSU Richman? Meanwhile we have "the silly season."
                              Has Drake hired their coach?
                              Are all other openings filled?

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post
                                Some additional teams with openings where Hendo's name has popped up (again just one of many names on a list)

Utah State from McFeely (Summit connection with previous Craig Smith hiring - granted the AD who made the hire has since resigned and is now at Louisiana-Monroe) and some additional talk on their message board suggesting he was interviewed last time (2023) and has supposedly been added to "the list" for this year. Zimmer mentioned on the podcast a week or two ago about Hendo taking interviews during previous years he just didn't know where

Saint Louis University - from Saint Louis Dispatch -- old coach was reportedly earning $2million a year

​​​​​​​Washington State - article on their 247sports page (subscription to read)
                                Sounds like the Utah State job will go to the head coach at Bowling Green.

Comment

Working...
                                X