2024-2025 Lineup/Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by discoDancinRabbit View Post

Is he even that good? Take away the dunk and I'm not sure there's a lot of value there for a high major team. Might want to abort the process and return to State.
    I disagree ... he will have a narrower role. Teams like Nebraska have players similar to him ... strong, defend the post, rebound, score 8 to 12 points ... he will be fine.

Comment

Besides not all these schools can be wrong ... can they?
      • Wisconsin
      • Nebraska
      • Kansas
      • Florida
      • Kansas State
      • Butler
      • Wake Forest
      • Boise State
      • Iowa St.
      • LSU
      • Oklahoma
      • Arizona St
      • Virginia Tech
      • Nevada
      • San Francisco
      • California
      • Oregon
      • Iowa
      • Arkansas
      • Clemson
      • South Florida

Comment

Potentially monkey see monkey do. And I would not agree that he is a strong inside presence; he’s pretty thin especially at that level. However a team like Nebraska or Minnesota could work out. I’m not saying he won’t be fine. But all the prior Sl players had a lot of skill

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Not sure I will stay as connected to the program in this kind of environment where we essentially are a farm club for the Power 5 Conferences. We need to get into a multi-bid league like the Mountain West in order to stay relevant.
          JackguyII mentions a good point that I think is on the mind of many fans but so far hasn't been discussed much: Is the combination of the transfer system and NIL going to lead to a shrinking fan base? If the fan base changes, where does the revenue come from? Gate receipts will be down. TV? That depends on fans in sufficient numbers to convince advertisers to pay big dollars to sell beer and chips to ESPN viewers.

I think there are signs fan support is already weakening in many places. SDSU may not be one of those placess right now but how can SDSU flourish if the athletic teams we regularly compete against fall behind? I haven't been real interested in considering a change to a different league such as the Mountain West but it may be the case that we'll be forced into making such a change. Will SDSU fans remain stongly connected? Right now, without system-wide changes which may cause some stability to athletic teams, we don't control our mid- or long-term destiny. Few school do. Schools with huge bank accounts may not agree there are any problems but those schools are few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

JackguyII mentions a good point that I think is on the mind of many fans but so far hasn't been discussed much: Is the combination of the transfer system and NIL going to lead to a shrinking fan base? If the fan base changes, where does the revenue come from? Gate receipts will be down. TV? That depends on fans in sufficient numbers to convince advertisers to pay big dollars to sell beer and chips to ESPN viewers.

I think there are signs fan support is already weakening in many places. SDSU may not be one of those placess right now but how can SDSU flourish if the athletic teams we regularly compete against fall behind? I haven't been real interested in considering a change to a different league such as the Mountain West but it may be the case that we'll be forced into making such a change. Will SDSU fans remain stongly connected? Right now, without system-wide changes which may cause some stability to athletic teams, we don't control our mid- or long-term destiny. Few school do. Schools with huge bank accounts may not agree there are any problems but those schools are few and far between.
            Well there absolutely will not be more fans after 4 or 5 years more of watching our best player or 2 leave. I think the opposite is inevitable.

It's not like the Mountain West is impervious to this either. Even if we were to move there, where would we get the $500,000 annual NIL funds that it would take to barely keep up in MBB?
            Just last week Gophers fans were complaining that they are now "just a farm team for the big boys". They had 5 guys leave! It's going to be really interesting to watch this play out over the next decade.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

I disagree ... he will have a narrower role. Teams like Nebraska have players similar to him ... strong, defend the post, rebound, score 8 to 12 points ... he will be fine.
              The big difference is that those Nebraska players put up their numbers in a P5 conference where almost every team has 6'10 plus posts and in most cases 4's that are Kyle's size. William put his up in a conference where NDSU basically was the only team that had legit post size. He is is a post player whose offensive game is back to the basket with 8-10 foot (at best) range. I love Will as a Jack, but he needs work on his offensive game, which one more year here would have given him a better chance of doing.

Comment

Against Iowa State, William Kyle II played 30 minutes, scored 14 points 6 of 10 from the field, and had 7 rebounds.
                He held his own just fine. Good grief. Nickpick a kid who played his ass off for us the past 2 years.

Here's who I think will start
                1. Jaden Jackson
                2. Joe Sayler
                3. Kaylen Garry
                4. Matt Mors
                5. Nate Barnhardt

Key subs:
                Guards: Bubz, TeSlaa, and Hadnot

ALL of our bigs will be able to shoot it a bit... but won't have anyone will WKIII's size/strength/presence in the paint.

I would say we'll see a lot of up and down ball with a lot of 3's taken, and the rotation is going to take a while to round out.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  Against Iowa State, William Kyle II played 30 minutes, scored 14 points 6 of 10 from the field, and had 7 rebounds.
                  He held his own just fine. Good grief. Nickpick a kid who played his ass off for us the past 2 years.

1. Jaden Jackson
                  2. Joe Sayler
                  3. Kaylen Garry
                  4. Matt Mors
                  5. Nate Barnhardt

Key subs:

ALL of our bigs will be able to shoot it a bit... but won't have anyone will WKIII's size/strength/presence in the paint.

I would say we'll see a lot of up and down ball with a lot of 3's taken, and the rotation is going to take a while to round out.
                  I suggested he was ineffectual against the Clones. I never looked at a box score. Objectively he had a decent stat line. Subjectively it was a quiet 14/7. And it's hardly nitpicking
                  . I also noted that he's a Summit League beast and never suggested that he gave less than full effort. But it isn't wrong to suggest his impact in P6 will be diminished where his athleticism won't be unmatched as it was in the Summit.

Comment

I guess like most of the people on this forum, I’m a little upset, a little perplexed at this whole transfer thing and what goes with it and what the future holds. Also, what are the rosters even going to look like at all from year to year.

What are coaches actually telling recruits… That they might not have a scholarship available even if players transfer? The recruits probably hear this from other colleges and so they end up going where they are most comfortable just like years ago?

I’ve had a business for many decades, and because of the economy, you sometimes lose business, and then you gain… It’s a roller coaster, and I guess for mid major college basketball, the future will indicate if we get adjusted to it and have better success.

Hendo indicated, we need to get players from the area and the men should have a really good future I would guess, with the talent they have.

AJ, I think, has a really good chance of going to the sweet 16 next year. And it appears to me that if you look at every five years or so, the talent level keeps increasing with the women.

I would guess like others have said, we should have a transfer that plays in the middle, and also a guard transfer because of the severe lack of experience we have at these two positions for the men. But, of course, that would make 16 players again on the men’s roster. I guess only the future tells us whether the men can have great success with area recruits like AJ has!!

Comment

A modest proposal:

It's time to revamp the scholarship system to be a firm contractual system--college athletes, in order to receive athletic scholarships, will be required to contract with schools to play for up to 5 years in exchange for compensation in the form of room, board and stipend (i.e. NIL). (All of that will now be taxable income, but athletes wanted to be fairly compensated for their effort, right?). Contracts could then be traded among schools, so that for instance if Zeke Mayo wanted to transfer from SDSU to KU, SDSU could say okay, Kansas, we'll sell you Zeke's contract, but it'll cost you $100,000 (or whatever), and in exchange KU will move Joe Disgruntled from KU to SDSU. This compensates schools for essentially being developmental minor league teams for "bigger" schools. (There are devils in the details here, like if a player such as WK3 suddenly blossoms from being a project into a solid high-level player, but let's let that slide for the moment.)

This will, most unfortunately, require Congressional action to make it legal, but it would at least put some kind of fair structure around what is currently a completely chaotic process.

Now, I continue to believe that intercollegiate athletics should be completely separated from the administrative structure of educational institutions and be reformed into a European-style club structure, but that's another (if not closely related) can of worms.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        A modest proposal:

It's time to revamp the scholarship system to be a firm contractual system--college athletes, in order to receive athletic scholarships, will be required to contract with schools to play for up to 5 years in exchange for compensation in the form of room, board and stipend (i.e. NIL). (All of that will now be taxable income, but athletes wanted to be fairly compensated for their effort, right?). Contracts could then be traded among schools, so that for instance if Zeke Mayo wanted to transfer from SDSU to KU, SDSU could say okay, Kansas, we'll sell you Zeke's contract, but it'll cost you $100,000 (or whatever), and in exchange KU will move Joe Disgruntled from KU to SDSU. This compensates schools for essentially being developmental minor league teams for "bigger" schools. (There are devils in the details here, like if a player such as WK3 suddenly blossoms from being a project into a solid high-level player, but let's let that slide for the moment.)

This will, most unfortunately, require Congressional action to make it legal, but it would at least put some kind of fair structure around what is currently a completely chaotic process.

Now, I continue to believe that intercollegiate athletics should be completely separated from the administrative structure of educational institutions and be reformed into a European-style club structure, but that's another (if not closely related) can of worms.
                        I like this, essentially. Didn’t the Supreme Court say the compensation for college players is warranted and the colleges need to figure out how to do it. It will come to this or something like it I presume!!!

Comment

A modest proposal:

It'll be like the Premiere League buying up talented players from the smaller clubs. Honestly, it's the fair way to do things, but filbert is right... it will/would take congressional action.

I honestly think... the power 3 conferences (Big 10. Big 12, SEC)...and Maybe the ACC? so it could be 4?
                          -WILL break away from the rest of the NCAA due to football... and then what will happen with the rest of us?

Will teams be allowed to "purchase" the contracts of smaller schools? Will the NCAA at that time, change some of their rules?

IDK. I don't know the right answer. But considering ourselves in the "minor leagues" isn't fun, but honestly, that's where we are now, and aren't compensated for it.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

1. Jaden Jackson
                            2. Joe Sayler
                            3. Kaylen Garry
                            4. Matt Mors
                            5. Nate Barnhardt

Key subs:

That's not a bad starting point for rebuilding the team. I suspect Wilkinson will contribute at the post even more than Kraft. And maybe an experienced portal or juco player will join the team and become a starter. I'm hoping so.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

A modest proposal:

I like this general idea. It essentially would make college basketball a professional league that could be governed. That kind of structure seems to be the solution to the anarchy that increasingly prevails. The other option would be to let 10 or 20 schools with the wealthiest donors completely take over.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post

I like this general idea. It essentially would make college basketball a professional league that could be governed. That kind of structure seems to be the solution to the anarchy that increasingly prevails. The other option would be to let 10 or 20 schools with the wealthiest donors completely take over.

I am no lawyer but I don’t see how a system like that can exist as NIL deals cannot be connected to the school. As I understand it, there is no governing body over NIL cooperatives other than they can’t be directly connected to an institution or their staff. They are essentially operating in a loophole created by lawsuits that the NCAA has lost and every time they add rules, they get challenged in court and lose. NCAA has lost all control over it and I wonder just how long will the rules like athletes having only 4 years of eligibility be allowed to stay in place.

The big donors have been in control for a while. Now they just have no limits. Read on ORU board where Kansas offered a guard 750,000. He turned it down. Demanded a million. That’s probably an indication of what Mayo received. With those kinds of numbers out there, can’t blame the kids but let’s be real, college athletics especially men’s bb as we know is over. Not saying we cant enjoy watching the next Baylor Schierman or Zeke Mayo come here and grow their game and achieve their dreams.

Comment

Working...
                                X