No announcement yet.

GDT: SDSU vs Weber State 8pm Dee Events Center ESPN+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTB and DC i feel like i probably agree with what you are feeling. that said, i think it feels like it took this group longer than we probably expected to get things figured out, but i think they are getting it figured out as we speak

my main theories are Mims out slowed things down. if i am honest, i am not sure i always agree with everyone about Mims as a player, but he does seem to bring some intangibles and he makes the team better even if it is not always simple to say exactly how he does it.

my other theory and i feel like this one seems bigger to me- i feel like Hendo is most comfortable with basically a 4 guard lineup. i feel like the team was best last night with Charlie, Zeke, Mims, Kalen, and one of the bigs. that is causing a couple problems this year that i feel like we are having some trouble figuring out. first in the past we had Baylor at 6'7 and we had Alex who even at 6'4 proved time and again that he could guard most power forwards

well we dont have Alex and we dont have any 6'7 guards who can just as easily play power forward and guard all 5 guys on the floor. so it probably works on the offensive end but not so much on the other end and while i dont think size is an excuse for getting beaten up on the boards, it does make good technique more important and require constant attention and focus on the boards

also i just think there is a struggle with figuring out the rotation. if we are gonna play a lot of 4 guards, how do we best utilize WK, Luke, Barnhart, and Mohrs who all have the ability to contribute. ZERO criticism of the other 3!!! they are all good and have done good things and kudos to Luke for a good game last night and hitting all his FTs inclucing two huge ones at the end, but WK is clearly the most talented

i guess my point is, i agree with you that the team is talented but seems a bit off. i would say seem to be having trouble putting everything together. and that to me feels like a rotation challenge. again just getting Mims back did nothing at all to help figure out the rotation. but i think just some trouble figuring out how to make the pieces fit and what roles needed to be. i feel like they are and can get it figured out. in the mean time i will keep beating the drum that while they get things figured out focus on winning the boards and not giving points away at FT line and they can probably win even while they figure things out

Comment

Mims for sure adds something. Last night he ran down a long rebound on the defensive end and like flipped it over himself in an unusual manner, but started a break going the other way.

I thought to myself, we don't have anyone else who does that kind of thing.

I was hoping Mors would be our "little big" like Baylor...(NOT the same player I know... but just guard bigs on one end, play outside on the other end), but he hasn't been that. But I think he's been playing really hard when he gets minutes.

I'm sure there is more adjustments to the rotation to come. I think Garry got the start, because of the size of that Guard...but I think we'll see MIms and Easely starting with Zeke soon.
      (No offense to Kalen, he's a RS freshman...they are both Super Seniors)

Appel is starting to play a bit better and that is helping.

Would like to see WKIII start, but the announcers mentioned during the broadcast that they had talked to Hendo about that, and he said the staff feels like he plays better off the bench. Which... whatever, he has been getting starters minutes the last few games. (but he wasn't when he was first moved to the bench).

And, me being me, I'd like to see a deeper rotation. I want Mors, and TeSlaa, to see the floor more. They are capable. I'm not sure how TeSlaa was the "true freshman" who got to play last year, and now... Garry is a redshirt freshmen playing ahead of him...and he barely sees the floor. Something weird there. Again... I'm not on staff, I'm not that close to the program, and I don't know anything. I will trust the coaches.

That's just the stuff I think of. Go Jacks!

Comment

Garry would have seen the floor last year had he not incurred an injury about the same time as Easley. The red shirt would have been pulled.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

i definitely agree Mims is a plus. he does add to the team. when i said i dont always agree with everyone about him as a player. i feel like he is a bit of a roller coaster on the offensive end. his D and his effort are ALWAYS unquestionable!! i would disagree with you about him being the only one who makes those plays. i think Charlie makes those plays very regularly. Charlie and Mims are almost the identical player. excellent defenders great leaders unquestioned intangibles and hustle / effort!! offense can be streaky but i think Charlie is the more consistent player on the offensive end. hopefully Mims gets his feet on the ground and BOTH of them shoot over 40% on 3s this year. Charlie currently leading the team in that category. Mims first game back understandable 0 of 3 but i thought he showed good patience and shot selection!!! last night he hit two HUGE 3s in the late comeback. two games in he looks good!!

i thought last night in the amount i was able to watch, was the best by far that Appel has played this year. very happy to see it. no reason for a senior who plays the physical inside game he does to not be a good FT shooter. if he goes from shooting in the 50s to the mid- high 70s he increases his value in a huge way!! if he shoots FT in the 50s he becomes hard to play meaningful minutes, especially late

you could definitely be right about a change to the starters but i dont think who starts matters as much as minutes and who finishes. it seems the have a LOT of confidence in Garry as a defender and i am gonna guess they probably see more from him as an offensive player. i bet he looks better shooting in practice than he has in games so far. i feel like he was obviously THE THE THE GUY for at least 4 years maybe more in desmet. it is not automatically a simple adjustment to go from having a flashing neon green light to joining a team with a Zeke and 2 other guards who have been there done that for a lot of years. just think there is a natural figuring out the role and maybe not just letting it go, although i feel like Hendo does as much to give them confidence and a green light as anyone could

feel like very possible TeSlaa and Mohrs have the same issue with going from the unquestioned guy to what role do they play and being a good teammate. cannot say why Garry RS last year and TeSlaa was active, but Garry is obviously significantly bigger / stronger. i definitely would not assume it means there was a big gap between them last year that somehow Garry overcame or Tanner fell back this year. i dont see anything weird. simply we have a lot of talented guards and we have 3 established older guards and there are only so many minutes. if we start playing a lot more 4 guards at a time then maybe it opens more minutes for our 5th and 6th guards to get on the floor at the expense of one or two of the bigs. otherwise i would guess that we play 4 guards in most games other than foul trouble or mop up time and if Tanner or bubs are gonna get more time they have to take it from one of the other 4

completely agree that i LOVE the effort that Mohrs is giving!! i feel like he adds to the team when he is on the floor. i am amazed how much he has struggled with shooting. really really hoping he gets it figured out. nothing but good thoughts about him!! love his effort and attitude

one other thing, did you mean Mims and Charlie are both super seniors? i am nearly positive that Charlie has another year if he wants it, but i recognize that i am wrong on my fair share of occasions

Comment

2 things about earlier comments. 2 years ago before the injury year for Luke is that he shot just under 70% FT. This year an interesting fact is Kalen Garry is shooting the second most 3s after Zeke. He is also averaging 38% in that effort. Also, it is easy to see that the 4 guard lineup has been the preferred method and this may be part of what Hendo refers to the coaches doing some learning too. If the men get running smoothly with the talent on this team, it should lead to SLT success.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
              i definitely agree Mims is a plus. he does add to the team. when i said i dont always agree with everyone about him as a player. i feel like he is a bit of a roller coaster on the offensive end. his D and his effort are ALWAYS unquestionable!! i would disagree with you about him being the only one who makes those plays. i think Charlie makes those plays very regularly. Charlie and Mims are almost the identical player. excellent defenders great leaders unquestioned intangibles and hustle / effort!! offense can be streaky but i think Charlie is the more consistent player on the offensive end. hopefully Mims gets his feet on the ground and BOTH of them shoot over 40% on 3s this year. Charlie currently leading the team in that category. Mims first game back understandable 0 of 3 but i thought he showed good patience and shot selection!!! last night he hit two HUGE 3s in the late comeback. two games in he looks good!!

i thought last night in the amount i was able to watch, was the best by far that Appel has played this year. very happy to see it. no reason for a senior who plays the physical inside game he does to not be a good FT shooter. if he goes from shooting in the 50s to the mid- high 70s he increases his value in a huge way!! if he shoots FT in the 50s he becomes hard to play meaningful minutes, especially late

you could definitely be right about a change to the starters but i dont think who starts matters as much as minutes and who finishes. it seems the have a LOT of confidence in Garry as a defender and i am gonna guess they probably see more from him as an offensive player. i bet he looks better shooting in practice than he has in games so far. i feel like he was obviously THE THE THE GUY for at least 4 years maybe more in desmet. it is not automatically a simple adjustment to go from having a flashing neon green light to joining a team with a Zeke and 2 other guards who have been there done that for a lot of years. just think there is a natural figuring out the role and maybe not just letting it go, although i feel like Hendo does as much to give them confidence and a green light as anyone could

feel like very possible TeSlaa and Mohrs have the same issue with going from the unquestioned guy to what role do they play and being a good teammate. cannot say why Garry RS last year and TeSlaa was active, but Garry is obviously significantly bigger / stronger. i definitely would not assume it means there was a big gap between them last year that somehow Garry overcame or Tanner fell back this year. i dont see anything weird. simply we have a lot of talented guards and we have 3 established older guards and there are only so many minutes. if we start playing a lot more 4 guards at a time then maybe it opens more minutes for our 5th and 6th guards to get on the floor at the expense of one or two of the bigs. otherwise i would guess that we play 4 guards in most games other than foul trouble or mop up time and if Tanner or bubs are gonna get more time they have to take it from one of the other 4

completely agree that i LOVE the effort that Mohrs is giving!! i feel like he adds to the team when he is on the floor. i am amazed how much he has struggled with shooting. really really hoping he gets it figured out. nothing but good thoughts about him!! love his effort and attitude

one other thing, did you mean Mims and Charlie are both super seniors? i am nearly positive that Charlie has another year if he wants it, but i recognize that i am wrong on my fair share of occasions
              Easley will be done. This is his fourth season with the Jacks after one at Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                Garry would have seen the floor last year had he not incurred an injury about the same time as Easley. The red shirt would have been pulled.
                I forgot about Kalen's injury in the early season last year! I do remember that now.

Good solid points all around.

Charlie and Mims are similar but they play differently, if that makes any sense. Love em both.

I'm also thinking Garry will start knocking some more shots down too. He had a very difficult defensive assignment last night.

Go Jacks! (again, I'm not being negative on anyone. I think thoughts and sometimes I put them on here.)

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Easley will be done. This is his fourth season with the Jacks after one at Nebraska.
                  Holy ****! You read all of that non-sense close enough to provide an answer. Well done!
                  One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                  X