GDT: SDSU vs Weber State 8pm Dee Events Center ESPN+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: SDSU vs Weber State 8pm Dee Events Center ESPN+

The Wildcats are 9-4 with losses to Colgate, Gardner-Webb, Utah Valley, & Nevada. They had an early win against #23 St Mary. Jr F 6'6" Dillon Jones leads the Wildcats & BSC in points, rebounds, & assists. He is living up to the preseason BSC first team choice. Weber is also the preseason first place team. Weber is also more international flavor with 8 players from outside the USA. The starting 5 for Weber is the same from 2022-23. This game should be defensively intense as Weber St has a defensive average of 59.8 points. Go Jacks!!

P.S. The person on the ESPN+ coverage may be a former HC Joe Cravens.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    The Wildcats are 9-4 with losses to Colgate, Gardner-Webb, Utah Valley, & Nevada. They had an early win against #23 St Mary. Jr F 6'6" Dillon Jones leads the Wildcats & BSC in points, rebounds, & assists. He is living up to the preseason BSC first team choice. Weber is also the preseason first place team. Weber is also more international flavor with 8 players from outside the USA. The starting 5 for Weber is the same from 2022-23. This game should be defensively intense as Weber St has a defensive average of 59.8 points. Go Jacks!!

P.S. The person on the ESPN+ coverage may be a former HC Joe Cravens.
    Is he the one raining down gems like "he's not just a pretty face" and "he dropped that like 3rd period French"?

Comment

total hook by jones to get past Garry and then Garry called for contact to give an and one

Comment

Dang it; Wildcats win 75-73, pretty much at buzzer.

Comment

obviously hendo and staff have an incredible amount of confidence in Garry as a defender. since i came over after the WBB, Garry has guarded Webers stud one on one the entire time. i would have loved to see more of an effort to force him to give that ball up on the final possession

was at work for beginning of games, then watched the girls in OT, so have not seen all the stats or heard but great job by Appel being 5 of 5 at the FT line and hitting 2 huge ones at the end to cut it to two!! that type of improvement in FT shooting will make a huge difference. dont know what the rebound numbers ended. we did fine at the end from what i saw. did have a possession early where i know we gave them a couple extra opportunities

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Is he the one raining down gems like "he's not just a pretty face" and "he dropped that like 3rd period French"?
            yes i caught the 3rd period French comment. got a very good chuckle out of that one!!

Comment

post game radio apparently Hendo and i are on the same page. said he should have had the team better prepared to make Jones give the ball up on the final possession. again i did not see the whole game. dont know who else was hot for them. but did hear that one typically good shooter had only made one shot the whole game. i just feel like i would do everything possible to NOT have their best player get the last shot from 7 feet with only one hand in his face

that said i was very proud of the effort and determination our Jacks showed in a very tough game against an excellent team!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
                obviously hendo and staff have an incredible amount of confidence in Garry as a defender. since i came over after the WBB, Garry has guarded Webers stud one on one the entire time. i would have loved to see more of an effort to force him to give that ball up on the final possession

was at work for beginning of games, then watched the girls in OT, so have not seen all the stats or heard but great job by Appel being 5 of 5 at the FT line and hitting 2 huge ones at the end to cut it to two!! that type of improvement in FT shooting will make a huge difference. dont know what the rebound numbers ended. we did fine at the end from what i saw. did have a possession early where i know we gave them a couple extra opportunities
                Garry played that last shot about as good as he could on his own. Looked like he might have even got a piece of the ball going up. Probably should have doubled down on Jones and made somebody else make the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Garry played that last shot about as good as he could on his own. Looked like he might have even got a piece of the ball going up. Probably should have doubled down on Jones and made somebody else make the shot.
                  TOTALLY TOTALLY agree!! i cannot say Garry could have done anything more. i thought he played very well against him. thought Jones got benefit of both some non calls and calls. OBVIOUSLY a HUGE guard and VERY physical and it seems pretty tough to call contact fouls on the defender when the offensive player is initiating basically all of the contact

Comment

That was Joe.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

That was Joe.
                      I thought so. I found him entertaining and fairly complimentary of Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

yes i caught the 3rd period French comment. got a very good chuckle out of that one!!
                        Appel might've been the one he indicated wasn't just a pretty face.

I was trying to finish a work project at that point.

Comment

Appel might've been the one he indicated wasn't just a pretty face.

I was trying to finish a work project at that point.
                          He was discussing Zeke at that point. He commented on Zekes rebounding stats and said, "so he is not just a pretty face, he gets in there and gets his hands dirty too." or something near that

Comment

Cravens was hilarious.

As far as an announce squad goes... those two were great. After some of the gems the Summit League have thrown out there as announce squads, it was really nice to have guys who had done their research and knew about both teams.

Agree that Kalen couldn't have guarded that much better, and he did get a piece of it on the way up. That guy was a beast all night. He's a tough matchup. Can see why Weber is favored in the Big Sky.

The Jacks... could have won that. Something, and I'm not complaining about anyone... just seems off with these guys this season.

I kept telling myself we'd "put it together" in the Summit, and we certainly can, and had a nice win against UND on Sunday.

But IDK. Maybe it's just me. But it feels like we're missing something. Felt like we win this game the past couple years, and I predicted at half time a close but no cigar game.

I have confidence in the coaches, and the players. But just... something seems... OFF... I don't know what it is. I'm not complaining. I'll be cheering for them all year, like always.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

I have confidence in the coaches, and the players. But just... something seems... OFF... I don't know what it is. I'm not complaining. I'll be cheering for them all year, like always.
                              I completely agree. I feel like the talent is there and they are close to busting things open, but can't quite do it. We have some gig guys, we have scorers, we can play defense, we have hustlers. If they gel like I am hoping, they could be a ton of fun to watch in March.
                              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                              X