No announcement yet.

Noah Freidel Transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

student fees cover the salaries (free appointments) of the counselors in Counseling Services located in the Wellness Center who are available to help out with the following:
    • Adjustment/Transition Issues
    • Relationship Issues
    • Issues Resulting from Alcohol and/or Drug Use
    • Stress Management
    • Anxiety and/or Depression
    • Trauma
    The directory of counselors including titles, education, etc can be found here. The BIT has a different focus.

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post
      student fees cover the salaries (free appointments) of the counselors in Counseling Services located in the Wellness Center who are available to help out with the following:
      • Adjustment/Transition Issues
      • Relationship Issues
      • Issues Resulting from Alcohol and/or Drug Use
      • Stress Management
      • Anxiety and/or Depression
      • Trauma
      The directory of counselors including titles, education, etc can be found here. The BIT has a different focus.
      The prior post referenced mental health, which is a focus of BIT.

Comment

I have heard that counseling through the wellness center is schedule out up to a month sometimes. Definitely an area the university can improve in with the increased acknowledgment and understanding of mental health.

Comment

This sucks, but it was obviously coming since they sat him half the year. Five of us, all alumni from the 80’s, scratching our heads at BWW last Thursday wondering why. I hope he helps his next team.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

The prior post referenced mental health, which is a focus of BIT.
            That's my fault then. I read the BIT page and interpreted it a different way.

Res Life has specialized individuals (from the Wellness Center) brought in, and they devote a considerable amount of time to discuss mental health when training RAs; with athletes having to live in the halls for a year or two, Mrs. Heylens also serves on that committee. She also serves on the Undergraduate Experience Committee, and one of their concerns is retention; they discuss mental health to some extent, too. The first year advising bit was partly created so advisors are able to create more personal connections with incoming freshmen and I assume to catch some of things that may be associated with mental health like poor attendance. I mention these to say that the University as a whole tries to help address the issue and actively teach both faculty and staff about mental health.

The resources are available for the students, but several years ago, it was as salemjack said, with initial appointments sometimes taking place 2 or 3 weeks later and then additional appointments occurring once every 2 weeks. I assumed both were flexible depending on the severity of the situation/case. At general activity fee meetings, the Welness Center people would come in and say that the professional side of the Student Health Clinic & Counseling Services was understaffed relative to the demands of the students and ask for extra funding to add a position. The extra money would have to come from either the students in the form of a fee increase or taking $ from other student org budgets, and nobody likes higher fees, so the extra allocated money would sometimes amount to 1/2 a position or so, letting them just squeak by. With the enrollment numbers trending downward since 2016 (this year it increased by 50 students compared to last) and an assumed higher demand for both sides of the Wellness Center's professional services given the past two years, availability has probably worsened, as salemjack mentioned.

Consider the demanding schedule that the athletes have with class, workouts, practice, travel, etc, and limited free time available, and it's not out of the realm of possibilities that one's needs are not being met.

*- links are to images of PG rated tweets with personal information removed - minus the timestamped podcast & UM punter tweet - and a good example of why social media is terrible for everyone -*

Surely the University would not intentionally put out false information since they didn't really say much to begin with other than it being a basketball decision, "we love Noah, and Noah loves us," and that one bit from one of the Coaches Shows where they said it was not mental health related. Unfortunately, it's hard to believe that he would not be reading social media and the things people were saying about him because who would be able to ignore messages like these when you go from the status he entered the year at to where he finished. LetsGoRabbits said that the athletes could be reading the message board, and with Noah mentioning false information in his tweets, I acknowledge and admit to contributing to some of the negative speculation. A message board may be 5th on the ranking below twitter, facebook, podcasts and reddit in The Athlete's Social Media Perusal Guide, but it is still the best source of genuine discussion considering multiple viewpoints and potentially prone to being viewed by an athlete, recruit, or family member as LGR said.

Good luck to Noah, and I'm sure he'll treat every single game next season like a revenge game. I just hope he lands somewhere where they give him the minutes he deserves, and I don't envy his opponents.

The Montana freshman who won FCS punter of the year and then entered the portal later that day was immediately scrubbed from the GoGriz 2021 roster page and had his punter of the year article removed following a deleted tweet that said UM didn't develop him and treated him poorly. He basically signed with Nebraska later that day, so it was a very interesting 24 hours for him. I can't imagine our athletics department will be that petty, but then again, I wasn't the only one browsing old tweets.

one last relevant tweet posted yesterday by a USWNT player regarding athletes, fans, and social media
            Last edited by peavy; 03-20-2022, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Two stories I heard why Freidel got benched.

He missed a practice from partying.

He got in an argument with coaches and they told him to stop or they were going to suspend him games. Supposedly Freidel kept coming at them and they started counting games he would miss.

I think him being on the team after his issues was great for him, his teammates, coaches and us fans. That should be a lesson for everyone. I thought his write up was overall good but thought maybe the last sentence of the 1st paragraph could have been worded differently.
              It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

That's my fault then. I read the BIT page and interpreted it a different way.

Res Life has specialized individuals (from the Wellness Center) brought in, and they devote a considerable amount of time to discuss mental health when training RAs; with athletes having to live in the halls for a year or two, Mrs. Heylens also serves on that committee. She also serves on the Undergraduate Experience Committee, and one of their concerns is retention; they discuss mental health to some extent, too. The first year advising bit was partly created so advisors are able to create more personal connections with incoming freshmen and I assume to catch some of things that may be associated with mental health like poor attendance. I mention these to say that the University as a whole tries to help address the issue and actively teach both faculty and staff about mental health.

The resources are available for the students, but several years ago, it was as salemjack said, with initial appointments sometimes taking place 2 or 3 weeks later and then additional appointments occurring once every 2 weeks. I assumed both were flexible depending on the severity of the situation/case. At general activity fee meetings, the Welness Center people would come in and say that the professional side of the Student Health Clinic & Counseling Services was understaffed relative to the demands of the students and ask for extra funding to add a position. The extra money would have to come from either the students in the form of a fee increase or taking $ from other student org budgets, and nobody likes higher fees, so the extra allocated money would sometimes amount to 1/2 a position or so, letting them just squeak by. With the enrollment numbers trending downward since 2016 (this year it increased by 50 students compared to last) and an assumed higher demand for both sides of the Wellness Center's professional services given the past two years, availability has probably worsened, as salemjack mentioned.

Consider the demanding schedule that the athletes have with class, workouts, practice, travel, etc, and limited free time available, and it's not out of the realm of possibilities that one's needs are not being met.

*- links are to images of PG rated tweets with personal information removed - minus the timestamped podcast & UM punter tweet - and a good example of why social media is terrible for everyone -*

Surely the University would not intentionally put out false information since they didn't really say much to begin with other than it being a basketball decision, "we love Noah, and Noah loves us," and that one bit from one of the Coaches Shows where they said it was not mental health related. Unfortunately, it's hard to believe that he would not be reading social media and the things people were saying about him because who would be able to ignore messages like these when you go from the status he entered the year at to where he finished. LetsGoRabbits said that the athletes could be reading the message board, and with Noah mentioning false information in his tweets, I acknowledge and admit to contributing to some of the negative speculation. A message board may be 5th on the ranking below twitter, facebook, podcasts and reddit in The Athlete's Social Media Perusal Guide, but it is still the best source of genuine discussion considering multiple viewpoints and potentially prone to being viewed by an athlete, recruit, or family member as LGR said.

Good luck to Noah, and I'm sure he'll treat every single game next season like a revenge game. I just hope he lands somewhere where they give him the minutes he deserves, and I don't envy his opponents.

The Montana freshman who won FCS punter of the year and then entered the portal later that day was immediately scrubbed from the GoGriz 2021 roster page and had his punter of the year article removed following a deleted tweet that said UM didn't develop him and treated him poorly. He basically signed with Nebraska later that day, so it was a very interesting 24 hours for him. I can't imagine our athletics department will be that petty, but then again, I wasn't the only one browsing old tweets.

one last relevant tweet posted yesterday by a USWNT player regarding athletes, fans, and social media
                I hesitate to contribute to any speculation about Freidel's specific case, because I don't know the actual tactors that contributed to his suspension/benching (other than what's been alluded to during the Nobody's Listening Anyway podcast and rabbitfarmer's post earlier this morning).

However, if an athlete is making the argument that playing time is psychologically therapeutic and contributes to mental health stability, and benching him for "misconduct" is not sufficiently supporting him and contributes to deteriorating mental health, it's distinct from making a general argument that the university is inadequately investing in counseling resources. Freidel's statement seemed to focus on the former, as it referenced "... an athletic program who is better committed to supporting the mental health of their student athletes" rather than a "... college or university committed to supporting the mental health ..."

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

However, if an athlete is making the argument that playing time is psychologically therapeutic and contributes to mental health stability, and benching him for "misconduct" is not sufficiently supporting him and contributes to deteriorating mental health, it's distinct from making a general argument that the university is inadequately investing in counseling resources. Freidel's statement seemed to focus on the former, as it referenced "... an athletic program who is better committed to supporting the mental health of their student athletes" rather than a "... college or university committed to supporting the mental health ..."
                  Thank you for clearing that up for me. I had not considered the game playing time itself as being a contributor to one's mental wellbeing. When addressing mental health in general at SDSU, I was addressing 91jack's following comments and didn't think about it being specific to athletes.

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  Noah had to leave SDSU.

If Noah goes to a place like Duke, Kansas or Kentucky, they have athletic budgets that are 100 times SDSU's bughet. Do they have people in their athletic department that know more about mental health than SDSU? Does SDSU have anybody that specializes in mental health? I do not know these answers.
                  Digging a bit deeper, it does look like the larger athletic programs employ behavioral health professionals. Duke has Dr. Shawn Zeplin who is the Director of Behavioral Health and the Assistant Director Alex Thompson. Their roles are stated in the biographies. Nebraska has 5 people in their Sports Psychology Department according to the athletic staff directory, including Director Dr. Brett Haskell and Assistant Director Dr. Brett Woods.

South Dakota State has Kris Kracht listed as a Mental Performance Coach under football, softball, and volleyball. Here is an article about him. Edit: His background listed on sdstate.edu appears to be in communications, so I don't mean to group him with the health professionals from the other schools.

This is information that was available under the staff directories for these schools. I looked up South Dakota State, Creighton, Wright State, Nebraska, and Duke. Just because SDSU, Creighton and WSU didn't have people listed on their website doesn't mean that they don't have qualified professionals in the behavioral health field associated with their athletics departments.
                  Last edited by peavy; 03-20-2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I had not considered the game playing time itself as being a contributor to one's mental wellbeing. When addressing mental health in general at SDSU, I was addressing 91jack's following comments and didn't think about it being specific to athletes.

Digging a bit deeper, it does look like the larger athletic programs employ behavioral health professionals. Duke has Dr. Shawn Zeplin who is the Director of Behavioral Health and the Assistant Director Alex Thompson. Their roles are stated in the biographies. Nebraska has 5 people in their Sports Psychology Department according to the athletic staff directory, including Director Dr. Brett Haskell and Assistant Director Dr. Brett Woods. South Dakota State has Kris Kracht listed as a Mental Performance Coach under football, softball, and volleyball. Here is an article about him.

This is information that was available under the staff directories for these schools. I looked up South Dakota State, Creighton, Wright State, Nebraska, and Duke.
                    Excellent research; let's focus on Nebraska, which seems like a more preferred destination [given Easley's experience there (and the possibility he discussed what it was like with Freidel)] and the dearth of such resources among conference rivals -- assuming such mental health services, and not playing time, was the actual issue.

The Huskers are purportedly among the leaders in the BIG10 in terms of access and investment in mental health, and the conference and Chairman Warren made that a priority.

Maybe T. Denny Sanford can make mental health his latest investment in area Summit & Valley teams.

Comment

Wasn't Noah originally committed to Nagy? Would he go to Wright State?
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                        Wasn't Noah originally committed to Nagy? Would he go to Wright State?
                        Thats my hope. I think nagy could be good for him.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I have no idea what the coaches did or didnt do to help Noah. If you have seen what bipolar does to people, thing can be really ugly at times. Ive seen it firsthand. I support Noah whatever his next chapter is

Comment

You've said you are done with the Noah talk for over a month now, yet here you are, posting novel after novel. It's ok not to have the last word or 7000 words sometimes...

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

"Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits

i said i am done and i mean it) but specifically i am done talking about the past and who did what and what did somebody do wrong

i am not going to engage in this a lot either, but this is a different conversation and it is about going forward

YES he definitely was originally committed to wright state

and i will always love coach nagy and no matter what happens for our team i will always miss him at least a little!!! i totally believe that Noah could NOT find a better coach!!! but i also recall that a big part of that change was recognition of a need and desire to be closer to family

of course being closer to family can be more important to a true freshman than it is to a 4th year student and player. so who knows??

i would be extremely happy to noah if he goes to play for coach nagy!! but he has also proven that he can succeed at any level. he has seen players move from conference schools and start and succeed at P5 schools, so i have NO IDEA what his thoughts are but i would not be surprised if he is looking at or thinking about the biggest stages.

i can do NOTHING but guess and fully admit i could guess completely wrong!! but i would guess he looks at places closer to home at whatever level he decides he wants to compete at
                              I heard Wisconsin mentioned as a rumor during the Summit tourney. I'm guessing Nagy was already recruiting Noah before he left for Wright State, so Krabbenhoft may have been involved as well. And with Davison's twelve year college career finally over and Davis likely going pro. the Badgers will need some shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

I heard Wisconsin mentioned as a rumor during the Summit tourney. I'm guessing Nagy was already recruiting Noah before he left for Wright State, so Krabbenhoft may have been involved as well. And with Davison's twelve year college career finally over and Davis likely going pro. the Badgers will need some shooters.
                                Noah was originally committed to Nagy and Wright State…when TJ left and Grill decommitted, Noah asked to be released so he could attend SDSU.

To be honest, this is more than basketball, I hope Noah finds balance and the support. Whether it be at a summit rival, P5 team or even in the NSIC…

Comment

Working...
                                X