No announcement yet.

NCAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunardi has moved SDSU up to the 12th seed in his bracketology. Has us facing Texas.

Comment

Hendo named the national Coach of the Week by ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...h-faces-top-16

ESPN also welcomes SDSU to the "Bubble Watch"

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...election-drama

Comment

I know what we did in conference was impressive, but that still begs the question about the 3rd loss of the year. That seems like an even more glaring blemish when you look at what both teams did since that game.

Seems like a pretty good breakdown on the bracket for us. not sure will be making any games again in person this year. been a few years since i have gone to the games. RL and 4 kids finally caught up to me.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          Hendo named the national Coach of the Week by ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...h-faces-top-16

ESPN also welcomes SDSU to the "Bubble Watch"

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...election-drama
          It's amazing to even see SDSU mentioned when discussing the bubble. It's a testament to the incredible season they've put together thus far.

That being said there is almost zero chance of an at-large. The deck is stacked against teams like us. You'll never convince me that this SDSU teams isn't on the same level as Michigan this year. The difference is that Michigan team gets multiple chances to beat ranked teams on their home court. I'm confident we'd knock off some ranked opponents if they came into Frost.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

It's amazing to even see SDSU mentioned when discussing the bubble. It's a testament to the incredible season they've put together thus far.

That being said there is almost zero chance of an at-large. The deck is stacked against teams like us. You'll never convince me that this SDSU teams isn't on the same level as Michigan this year. The difference is that Michigan team gets multiple chances to beat ranked teams on their home court. I'm confident we'd knock off some ranked opponents if they came into Frost.
            Unfortunately, when you look at quality wins and losses, our bad losses hurt worse then our good wins help. I think thats the difference for me. I think we would have to go 32-2 type record and lose a heart breaker in the conference tourney to get an at large.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Unfortunately, when you look at quality wins and losses, our bad losses hurt worse then our good wins help. I think that's the difference for me. I think we would have to go 32-2 type record and lose a heart breaker in the conference tourney to get an at large.
              I guess for me the Idaho loss is what might/should keep us out.

I wouldn't count losing to Alabama by 16 is a bad loss.

The other losses are to Washington and Missouri State. Those two teams are not great but losing on the road to them wouldn't kill our chances (in my mind).
              Missouri State is tied for second in the Missouri Valley conference. That is not a power conference but they are probably a top 1/3 conference.
              Washington is in the middle 1/3 of the Pac 12. If that is a bad loss about half the PAC 12 are bad and might not get in the tourney either.
              I'm not saying either is a great loss but to lose to a top Missouri valley team and a middle third PAC 12 team are OK losses.

If SDSU did not lay an egg at Idaho and they got left out, I'd say it is a shame but that loss wasn't good!
              I guess that means my opinion is not far off yours. I would say 31-3 (preconference tourney) should have got SDSU in the tourney. 30-4 could get SDSU but it isn't a no brainer in my mind.
              Last edited by 91jack; 03-01-2022, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post

I guess for me the Idaho loss is what might/should keep us out.

I wouldn't count losing to Alabama by 16 is a bad loss.

The other losses are to Washington and Missouri State. Those two teams are not great but losing on the road to them wouldn't kill our chances (in my mind).
                Missouri State is tied for second in the Missouri Valley conference. That is not a power conference but they are probably a top 1/3 conference.
                Washington is in the middle 1/3 of the Pac 12. If that is a bad loss about half the PAC 12 are bad and might not get in the tourney either.
                I'm not saying either is a great loss but to lose to a top Missouri valley team and a middle third PAC 12 team are OK losses.

If SDSU did not lay an egg at Idaho and they got left out, I'd say it is a shame but that loss wasn't good!
                I guess that means my opinion is not far off yours. I would say 31-3 should have got SDSU in the tourney.
                Totally agree, 3 losses, are totally respectable, the Idaho, cant really explain that away. A bubble team shouldn't have a loss to one of the worst teams in college basketball. That really hurts, and we dont have any marque wins that we can have our hat on. A win over Alabama could have been that win. I dont think you can show any bad losses, and we have 1 really bad loss, but not really great wins.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Totally agree, 3 losses, are totally respectable, the Idaho, cant really explain that away. A bubble team shouldn't have a loss to one of the worst teams in college basketball. That really hurts, and we dont have any marque wins that we can have our hat on. A win over Alabama could have been that win. I dont think you can show any bad losses, and we have 1 really bad loss, but not really great wins.
                  its called college basketball. Those games happen. Another pretty good mid major, New Mexico St was 23-4 and leading the WAC going into Saturdays game vs 11th place Chicago St and got beat. The power conference teams have those WTF games. But they have a chance to redeem themselves with their schedule. We dont. Take away that Idaho game and we are talking at large. But thats my opinion. We shouldnt be talking like this. We are going to win the damn tourney

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post

its called college basketball. Those games happen. Another pretty good mid major, New Mexico St was 23-4 and leading the WAC going into Saturdays game vs 11th place Chicago St and got beat. The power conference teams have those WTF games. But they have a chance to redeem themselves with their schedule. We dont. Take away that Idaho game and we are talking at large. But thats my opinion. We shouldnt be talking like this. We are going to win the damn tourney
                    Agreed, we will win it,

this discussion was mostly academic in that sense anyway.

Comment

I’m really not sure where the idea of having a tournament at the end of the season determine who gets to go to the postseason came in to play. And I’m sure I’m in the minority when I say this but I think it’s ridiculous. The body of work that you put together for the year should be what gets you into the tournaments. If you’re one and done in the big dance then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak View Post
                        I’m really not sure where the idea of having a tournament at the end of the season determine who gets to go to the postseason came in to play. And I’m sure I’m in the minority when I say this but I think it’s ridiculous. The body of work that you put together for the year should be what gets you into the tournaments. If you’re one and done in the big dance then so be it.
                        its called march madness. ‍♂️

Comment

I see it both ways. The conference part of the schedule could be used basically as a seeding and qualifying for the tourney format. Similar to playoffs in major sports. And I see it as a revenue maker. Plus its fun and exciting for a lot of fans and programs. Yes it will be crushing if we would lose. But also some of the years we won those tourney games were crazy exciting to watch. Its up to the conference to decide who gets its auto bid.

Comment

I have always felt that the regular season champs are more deserving than tournament champs. I imagine that most tournaments go to one of the top two seeds, but you always have those outliers.
                            Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                            -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post

I have always felt that the regular season champs are more deserving than tournament champs.
                              Maybe true, maybe not. The whole goal is to get the "best" team into the tournament.

If a team has an injury to a key player that could lead to a couple losses that takes them out of the conference race. With that key player they may be hands down the best team. We've seen that on the flip side with Myah's injury last year.

Another example is the year with Orris' shot. That SDSU team was abysmal the 1st half of the conference season. But, they really put things together late and were arguably the best team at the end of the year. If the award the conference champ the autobid that SDSU team would have been out of the running in January.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Maybe true, maybe not. The whole goal is to get the "best" team into the tournament.
                                Best over multiple months or best over 3 weeks in February and March?

It is my feeling (key word) that regular season champions are more deserving. I am not stating it as a fact, and acknowledge that it is a minority view. A tournament champion (i.e. a hot team) might perform better in the NCAA tournament.

In reality, all of this is subjective, and Summit has decided to send the tournament champion to the NCAA tournament. Some years, that will harm the Jackrabbits. Some years, the Jacks will take advantage of that.
                                Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                                -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Working...
                                X