NCAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA

I understand the reasoning behind it, or at least most of it i think, BUT it still feels a little bit strange that this team is getting votes in the top 25 and is in the top of a LOT of offensive categories nationally and apparently would have ZERO chance for an at large bid

and NO i am not expecting them to need an at large bid. with a healthy team i think they are more than prepared to take care of business for 3 games in SFSD!!!! i am just saying it feels at least slightly weird to think they would have absolutely no chance for an at large

it really sucks that we are probably ALWAYS going to have great GREAT difficulty getting any significant teams to come in to Frost

i do not think there is ANY way that Nagy would ever let wright state come to frost, but that conference is a good mid major conference. why couldnt we get some home and home scheduled with say Northern Kentucky. i think probably Oakland coach also will not bring his team back to frost

or some other good mid majors. home and homes with maybe like belmont or similar teams

interesting with Hendo having relationships with McDermott and Otz but NO WAY they are bringing those programs to Frost. would they ever even schedule us for a game at their place??

anyway, none of that matters for this year, but those type of games would help a lot to build an at large resume and chances are we will never get any of those games at Frost

The Idaho loss just killed where the Jacks stood in the KenPom and the RPI ratings, and their strength of schedule once the conference season starts doesn't help them out, even when the have won them all.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      The Idaho loss just killed where the Jacks stood in the KenPom and the RPI ratings, and their strength of schedule once the conference season starts doesn't help them out, even when the have won them all.
      YEAH no doubt that loss hurt(((( but assuming that you will not go undefeated where do you want to take the losses?? we do not get many chances against the teams who would be considered BIG wins so you dont WANT to lose those either

i guess with the current system playing good teams is valuable EVEN IF YOU LOSE. unfortunately those teams are not lining up to play the jacks because they know they could lose and i do not see that changing any time soon

as far as the conference, i do think the bottom of the conference is a little more dangerous and we maybe are slightly deeper with solid programs, BUT the losses of Obanor and AJP and Omude has weakened the top of the league. last year wins aginst those teams looked much better than they do this year

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

YEAH no doubt that loss hurt(((( but assuming that you will not go undefeated where do you want to take the losses?? we do not get many chances against the teams who would be considered BIG wins so you dont WANT to lose those either

i guess with the current system playing good teams is valuable EVEN IF YOU LOSE. unfortunately those teams are not lining up to play the jacks because they know they could lose and i do not see that changing any time soon

as far as the conference, i do think the bottom of the conference is a little more dangerous and we maybe are slightly deeper with solid programs, BUT the losses of Obanor and AJP and Omude has weakened the top of the league. last year wins aginst those teams looked much better than they do this year
        Too bad they couldn't compromise on the buyout language when coaches leave and say, "we'll reduce the cost of the buyout if you agree to a home-and-home set" with teams the coaches are leaving getting the first home game of the set

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

The national computer ratings are impossible to figure out. After the Jacks women beat USD two weeks ago, the Jacks jumped to 4 spots higher than the Yotes in the NET rankings. Since then they have both played and beat the same teams, and the margins of victory have been very close. And the Jacks have dropped from up 4 spots to down 2 in the rankings. And in the last RPI rankings I could find, the Jacks were ranked above the Yotes with a better SOS.

Comment

We lost to #25 ranked Alabama by 16. They play in a much tougher conference and are 16-9. We shouldn’t be receiving votes but are because of our win streak. Our conference is full of terrible teams and that is why our win streak is 16. This is why we won’t get an at large bid

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
              We lost to #25 ranked Alabama by 16. They play in a much tougher conference and are 16-9. We shouldn’t be receiving votes but are because of our win streak. Our conference is full of terrible teams and that is why our win streak is 16. This is why we won’t get an at large bid
              Well Gonzaga lost to Alabama so they should not be ranked either.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                Getting votes suggest that SDSU is the 30 to 35ish best team in the country which would suggest SDSU is a 8 or 9ish seed. Probably a bit high from reality.

Comment

I’d bet if we win the tourney we get a 12 seed. Any higher than that and we are in at-large territory and there is no real chance of us getting an at-large.

I like to watch this site: http://www.bracketmatrix.com

It has us as the 2nd 13 seed. There will be some upsets in conference tourneys so some of the teams ahead of us will fall. It’s not a perfect site but it’s been really close since I’ve followed it.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

Getting votes suggest that SDSU is the 30 to 35ish best team in the country which would suggest SDSU is a 8 or 9ish seed. Probably a bit high from reality.
                    Is it REALLY though?

Like is this team really that far off from being that good? I would say that they are that good.

I don't think there's anyone in the range of 10-25 that this team would fear, and I think they would have a great chance...maybe even be a favorite, against many of the teams ranked 25-50.

I think people underestimate how difficult it is to do what they are doing.
                    (I don't care if the league isn't good this year... look at ORU, they won 2 tournament games with 2 players. Don't tell me last year's ORU team is better than this year's SDSU squad)

Sorry, didn't mean to sound combative. I just re-read it, and it could read that way. I didn't mean it to. I was just saying I think they are that good.

(I don't think there's any way they would get an 8 or 9 seed. But I think they are good enough to be that.)

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

Is it REALLY though?

Like is this team really that far off from being that good? I would say that they are that good.

I don't think there's anyone in the range of 10-25 that this team would fear, and I think they would have a great chance...maybe even be a favorite, against many of the teams ranked 25-50.

(I don't care if the league isn't good this year... look at ORU, they won 2 tournament games with 2 players. Don't tell me last year's ORU team is better than this year's SDSU squad)

Sorry, didn't mean to sound combative. I just re-read it, and it could read that way. I didn't mean it to. I was just saying I think they are that good.

(I don't think there's any way they would get an 8 or 9 seed. But I think they are good enough to be that.)
                      Agreed that we wouldn't get seeded higher than 12th. Maybe if it had been a win over Washington or Idaho....

This team has diversity we have not seen. The defense is there this time. We have guards that can finish at the rim, post up, and shoot midrange fade-aways. Oh yeah, they also shoot 3's as a group better than anyone in the country. Then there's there's a set of posts that may not be the tallest but who will be a threat to those outside the top 3-4 seeds. That combo definitely gives the Jacks a legit chance to do something legendary.

We all know the crappy part though - one sluggish game (or one opponent playing out of their minds) in Sioux Falls and it's off to the NIT.

It's a shame the quality mid-major teams (or conferences) don't do a better job scheduling one another. Even something like the old mid-season ESPN Bracket Buster game could have pushed a team like the Jacks into the at-large conversation. I imagine we'd be close to the bubble with one top-50 win.

Comment

So, I went through the Summit League (top 5 teams) and just did a quick point differential between the top 5 schools for ALL 9 opponents. (with 2 games to go)

SDSU"s point difference is +264
                        2nd is ORU, who is at +125
                        3rd is USD who is at +108
                        4th is NDSU who is at +81
                        5th is UMKC who is at +47

To be over double the 2nd place team in point differential is basically ludicrous. A game or two can get away from you, yes.
                        But over the course of a season, tells a good story, night in and night out, who is the better teams.

NDSU just isn't that good, guys. They just either get up for the SDSU games, or they happen to match up well with us. USD lost by 2 and took them to overtime the other time.

UMKC is a bit scary...they have really gotten better as the season has gone on. But they're going to have to lock in on defense against SDSU, who can match their scoring.

Comment

Is it REALLY though?

If you want my opinion coach, i believe last years team was just as good as ORU. said it then. they beat us on a last second tip and doug was not healthy

that said, MY GOSH i hope we do not get an 8 or 9 seed. i am perfectly happy with 12 or 13. dont even think 14 is terrible. with a 12 or 13 you start with a 4 or 5 seed and if you win you play another 4 or 5, or 12 or 13, to go to sweet 16. that seems like about as doable path as one could hope.

i disagree with idea about our league being trash. yes the top is down from last year. two teams lost 3 really elite first team all conference players. but i do not think it would be wise to overlook anyone

Comment

So, I went through the Summit League (top 5 teams) and just did a quick point differential between the top 5 schools for ALL 9 opponents. (with 2 games to go)

SDSU"s point difference is +264
                            2nd is ORU, who is at +125
                            3rd is USD who is at +108
                            4th is NDSU who is at +81
                            5th is UMKC who is at +47

To be over double the 2nd place team in point differential is basically ludicrous. A game or two can get away from you, yes.
                            But over the course of a season, tells a good story, night in and night out, who is the better teams.

NDSU just isn't that good, guys. They just either get up for the SDSU games, or they happen to match up well with us. USD lost by 2 and took them to overtime the other time.

UMKC is a bit scary...they have really gotten better as the season has gone on. But they're going to have to lock in on defense against SDSU, who can match their scoring.
                            The Bison were the beneficiary of the Jacks going 1 / 12 from distance in the game in Frost. Looking back, the Jacks having that 3 game slump on threes was a good thing. They proved to themselves that they can win games without shooting hot from the perimeter, and there should be no sign of panic if that happens again. The Jack have the best inside game in the Summit by far, and I think they really take advantage of that in Sioux Falls.

Comment

summit tourney games are usually cold shooting, so any ability to score inside will be huge.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X