Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sdsurulz08 View Post
    All the reason why SDSU needs to get into the valley
    The Valley would not have prevented Baylor from going into the portal. The Valley is a shadow of its former self and will likely be a one bid league going forward. Zero interest in moving to the Valley.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      A K-State guard who was first team All-Big 12 just got an $800,000 NIL package over 2 years to transfer to Miami. I don't think Baylor gets that kind of money, but it wouldn't be surprising if he gets six-figure NIL offers, which would be more than he would get as a second round draft pick. I think many will be surprised when we see the list of interested schools.
      According to an article recently posted in The Athletic, Baylor is represented by the same agent (Austin Walton) as the above player -- Nijel Pack.
      The article (written by Kyle Tucker who covers UK basketball) mostly discusses a potential connection with Baylor and Kentucky because the agent is a huge fan. Here are some excerpts

“That moved real quick,” agent Austin Walton said. “We have a high level of interest and I think the interest is mutual. The exposure of Kentucky basketball and the tradition there is something that appeals to Baylor. Their history of development and draft picks is something that’s very enticing for Baylor. It’s a lot of what we’re looking for.”

Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, Arizona, UCLA, Florida, Baylor, Texas, Memphis, Alabama, Louisville and Michigan State have shown serious interest, Walton said. “It’s everyone. Everyone wants this kid.”

“This is going to move fast,” Walton said. More than 30 schools reached out in the first 18 hours, but Scheierman plans to cut his list to 10 or fewer by Wednesday. It is likely Kentucky will make that cut.

“He wants to play for a winner. He wants the big stage. He wants the exposure,” Walton said. “He wants someone who is going to coach him hard and develop him to become an NBA player, whether that’s this year or next year. He wants to play with other really good players, because that unlocks him. He wants to showcase his versatility, show exactly who he is and a place that is going to allow him to be Baylor.”

"... at the end of the day, it has to be the right fit for him. He needs to know how you’re going to use him, how serious you are about him, what you’re going to do when he gets there, how you’re going to develop him."

Walton also represents Nijel Pack, another elite transfer from Kansas State who picked Miami and signed a two-year, $800,000 name, image and likeness deal in the process. Kentucky should be an enticing option for Scheierman from an NIL perspective as one of college basketball’s leaders in that space. Both Washington and Sharpe earned around a half-million dollars in just a few months at UK, and Tshiebwe, after navigating the challenges of an international student visa, is expected to rake in seven figures. Even so, the Cats will have stiff competition to land Scheierman.

Comment

• Originally posted by peavy View Post

According to an article recently posted in The Athletic, Baylor is represented by the same agent (Austin Walton) as the above player -- Nijel Pack.
        The article (written by Kyle Tucker who covers UK basketball) mostly discusses a potential connection with Baylor and Kentucky because the agent is a huge fan. Here are some excerpts

“That moved real quick,” agent Austin Walton said. “We have a high level of interest and I think the interest is mutual. The exposure of Kentucky basketball and the tradition there is something that appeals to Baylor. Their history of development and draft picks is something that’s very enticing for Baylor. It’s a lot of what we’re looking for.”

Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, Arizona, UCLA, Florida, Baylor, Texas, Memphis, Alabama, Louisville and Michigan State have shown serious interest, Walton said. “It’s everyone. Everyone wants this kid.”

“This is going to move fast,” Walton said. More than 30 schools reached out in the first 18 hours, but Scheierman plans to cut his list to 10 or fewer by Wednesday. It is likely Kentucky will make that cut.

“He wants to play for a winner. He wants the big stage. He wants the exposure,” Walton said. “He wants someone who is going to coach him hard and develop him to become an NBA player, whether that’s this year or next year. He wants to play with other really good players, because that unlocks him. He wants to showcase his versatility, show exactly who he is and a place that is going to allow him to be Baylor.”

"... at the end of the day, it has to be the right fit for him. He needs to know how you’re going to use him, how serious you are about him, what you’re going to do when he gets there, how you’re going to develop him."

Walton also represents Nijel Pack, another elite transfer from Kansas State who picked Miami and signed a two-year, $800,000 name, image and likeness deal in the process. Kentucky should be an enticing option for Scheierman from an NIL perspective as one of college basketball’s leaders in that space. Both Washington and Sharpe earned around a half-million dollars in just a few months at UK, and Tshiebwe, after navigating the challenges of an international student visa, is expected to rake in seven figures. Even so, the Cats will have stiff competition to land Scheierman.
        It would be interesting to find out what the agent is going to get from the program that lands him. Do they get a cut of the NIL money ? The slime that is connected with the high-end of the whole NIL / transfer portal situation is both predictable and nauseating.

Comment

• Originally posted by peavy View Post

again, if it is about the MONEY then good for him and his family!!!! i would never deny him, OR ANY KID, the right to grab that kind of money for himself and his family!! that is life changing!!!

but that is going to be the ruin of college sports. pretty much already is, as far as i am concerned. but these kids should absolutely take advantage of that system as long as it is in place!!

everything else about this totally sucks. if baylor is good enough to play in the nba he does not need kentucky in order to get there. and there is NOTHING new that he is going to do for kentucky. just another forgettable good player, like many many before him who have come and gone and are totally irrelevant and forgotten

whereas at sdsu he would have had a chance to help the school that believed in him and invested in him to do some incredible things that they had never done before.

if this will be the new norm then college basketball will be the new cba. a bunch of teams that are almost completely new EVERY year. and a bunch of players that are just looking for the next thing that they are going to do with no real loyalty or care about their team or teammates. and it is usually a very selfish, individual, style of play. NOT the selflessness and team play that we are used to seeing at sdsu. there wont be a bunch of games each year with assists on half the made baskets any more

Comment

• Baylor is gonna make some serious cash playing ball over the next year or two, this is one hell of a list...
            “BAYLOR SCHEIERMAN: MOST COVETED IN TRANSFER PORTAL HISTORY This is who has reached out in 16 hours: Duke UK KU Baylor Zags UNC AZ UCLA Mich St Ark Louisville Maryland Creighton Wisc Florida West Va Oregon Texas BYU Memphis Texas Tech Alabama Miss St Wake Texas A&M Clemson”

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
              Baylor is gonna make some serious cash playing ball over the next year or two, this is one hell of a list...
              Not only that, but maybe...just maybe he wants to play versus the best competition in the country and for one of the most prolific teams in college basketball history. But ya know...SDSU can offer all that.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

"Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

• Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                Not only that, but maybe...just maybe he wants to play versus the best competition in the country and for one of the most prolific teams in college basketball history. But ya know...SDSU can offer all that.

I don't completely agree with this comment. You act like SDSU has nothing to offer. Why didn't Kentucky offer him out of High School then? SDSU saw something in Baylor and spend three years training him for Kentucky to reap the benefits. I know this is the world we live in but sometimes you can show loyalty to the school who got you there....that's not against the rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackrabbit2012 View Post

I don't completely agree with this comment. You act like SDSU has nothing to offer. Why didn't Kentucky offer him out of High School then? SDSU saw something in Baylor and spend three years training him for Kentucky to reap the benefits. I know this is the world we live in but sometimes you can show loyalty to the school who got you there....that's not against the rules.
                  Lmao...would you remain loyal to your current employer if another came along and offered you a six-figure raise? Not to mention the exposure that can lead to generational wealth. This isn't that hard people...

"Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                    Baylor is gonna make some serious cash playing ball over the next year or two, this is one hell of a list...

Jeff Goodman on Twitter:
                    https://twitter.com
                    “BAYLOR SCHEIERMAN: MOST COVETED IN TRANSFER PORTAL HISTORY This is who has reached out in 16 hours: Duke UK KU Baylor Zags UNC AZ UCLA Mich St Ark Louisville Maryland Creighton Wisc Florida West Va Oregon Texas BYU Memphis Texas Tech Alabama Miss St Wake Texas A&M Clemson”
                    Wow, that's quite the list. Goodbye Baylor, it's been fun.

Comment

• Maybe Dana can pay him a million dollars to do some commercials if he stays at SDSU.

Thats impressive. I hope he chooses Duke. That would be special chance that would be hard to pass up.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Lmao...would you remain loyal to your current employer if another came along and offered you a six-figure raise? Not to mention the exposure that can lead to generational wealth. This isn't that hard people...

Actually yes I could take a different job and make more money, but I have worked here since college and I enjoy the environment and flexibility. Not everything in this world is about money. My point was you said SDSU couldn't offer any of those things to Baylor, well they couldn't when he decided to come here in high school either so what has changed?

Comment

Actually yes I could take a different job and make more money, but I have worked here since college and I enjoy the environment and flexibility. Not everything in this world is about money. My point was you said SDSU couldn't offer any of those things to Baylor, well they couldn't when he decided to come here in high school either so what has changed?
                          When Baylor decided to commit to SDSU he was not on the NBA radar whatsoever. Also there was no NIL money available and transfer rules were stricter. So I'd say a few things have changed...

Comment

When Baylor decided to commit to SDSU he was not on the NBA radar whatsoever. Also there was no NIL money available and transfer rules were stricter. So I'd say a few things have changed...

And who is to say that he is going to the SEC and automatically becoming a first round draft pick? Ever think of the possibility he becomes their 7th man, gets 18 minutes a game and struggles with the increased competition. Everyone is acting like this is a sure thing just because he goes to a different school. Like I said at the beginning of this discussion I am not mad at Baylor or bashing him, but this isn't a no brainer decision.

Comment

I have to be honest. It's hard to fault Baylor. This is life changing for him even if he doesn't make it to the NBA.

It really sucks for SDSU and similar schools that lose stars in this way. This whole NIL situation is really going to hurt the mid-majors which is unfortunately what the big dogs in college basketball want.

I sure hope the NCAA can find some middle ground on this so it doesn't become a common occurrence.

Comment

And who is to say that he is going to the SEC and automatically becoming a first round draft pick? Ever think of the possibility he becomes their 7th man, gets 18 minutes a game and struggles with the increased competition. Everyone is acting like this is a sure thing just because he goes to a different school. Like I said at the beginning of this discussion I am not mad at Baylor or bashing him, but this isn't a no brainer decision.
                                I agree...there is no guarantee this pans out. But if those in the know are telling you that you need to play up to have a chance at getting drafted, and you can rake in NIL money in the meantime while playing for one of the top teams in college basketball history...how do you pass that opportunity up realistically?

Comment

Working...
                                X