Future Rosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

But it is nice to think about them being included for the future of scholarship limits. COVID will affect schools for years to come just because of scholarships. If everyone has an extra year, how long do schools get to go over on scholarships? What about schools that can't afford to give out more scholarships? This doesn't seem like something that blows over after a year or two. If the Jacks can get down to the limit next year it will be more beneficial down the road for the program.
    I'll disagree, if impact players can be found with the available scholarships this year, then use those scholarships to help this team.

Comment

this seems kind of a no brainer. of course you do not need to give out the scholarships "just because you can." but if there is a player who will make a difference then you utilize the extra scholarship allowance WITHOUT hesitation

Comment

Zeke Mayo is lights out good. Lien I don't know as much about, but a year of prep school is a good thing for a big man, especially.

Wish Willy Mfum a great career wherever he winds up.

That transfer from Nebraska people are mentioning looks nice... but I don't know if we have room for him? with 2 guys coming in? IDK.

Comment

So right now we have:

Doug Wilson (Does he count for limit?) SR
          Edit: Tray Buchanan is transferring

Arians JR
          Appel JR
          Dentlinger JR

Feigen SO
          Easley SO
          Freidel SO
          Scheierman SO
          Mims SO
          Wingett SO

Mayo FR
          Lien FR

I am guessing they could find a way to squeeze another player in. It will definitely be interesting to see how they deal with having 6/13 scholarships on one class for 3 more years

Last edited by DieselJacks; 03-17-2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
            So right now we have:

Tray Buchanan (Will he come back, and does his scholarship count?) SR

Arians JR
            Appel JR
            Dentlinger (Is he still under academic scholarship?) JR

Feigen SO
            Easley SO
            Freidel SO
            Scheierman SO
            Mims SO
            Wingett SO

Mayo FR
            Lien FR

I am guessing they could find a way to squeeze another player in. It will definitely be interesting to see how they deal with having 6/13 scholarships on one class for 3 more years

I am not sure how the Buchanan slot works. I am not certain if the scholarship for the extra year is there if he does not occupy that slot. Mfum would still be a freshman for his eligibility and that would be an open slot rather than an extension. Wilson is an allowed scholarship extension for next year as a senior who gets that free year. It seemed that only 2021-22 would allow extra scholarships over 13.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Buchanan enters transfer portal.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
                So right now we have:

Tray Buchanan (Will he come back, and does his scholarship count?) SR

Arians JR
                Appel JR
                Dentlinger (Is he still under academic scholarship?) JR

Feigen SO
                Easley SO
                Freidel SO
                Scheierman SO
                Mims SO
                Wingett SO

Mayo FR
                Lien FR

Once a player is on the active roster, I don't think an academic scholarship is an option. You are either on athletic scholarship, or you pay your own way as a walk-on.

Comment

Goodbye Trey Buchanan. Decent offensive game but never seemed to get traction here.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinRabbit View Post
                    Goodbye Trey Buchanan. Decent offensive game but never seemed to get traction here.
                    Hard to know what may be left in the tank here. It will be almost two years since he has played in an organized game when next season starts. And like in Mfum's case, there are number of guards ahead of him in the pecking order. Plus Mayo coming in.

Comment

Maybe d-2 or something? I don’t know where he’s originally from but maybe there’s a spot open. Or you know, just say to hell with it

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Once a player is on the active roster, I don't think an academic scholarship is an option. You are either on athletic scholarship, or you pay your own way as a walk-on.
                        There is an exception for Freshmen to be able to get a academic scholarship & have it not count toward the scholarship limit.

“NCAA Rules for Academic Scholarships
                        There is something in the NCAA, it’s called Bylaw 15.02.4.3. This rule states that any financial aid except that which is specifically exempted is going to count as athletic aid and make the student a “counter” in terms of scholarships.

Federal and state financial aid based on need is exempted. Academic scholarships for freshman may be exempted if the students meets one of the following conditions depending on the division:

Division 1

Top 10% of the high school graduating class
                        Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
                        Score 1200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105”

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

There is an exception for Freshmen to be able to get a academic scholarship & have it not count toward the scholarship limit.

“NCAA Rules for Academic Scholarships
                          There is something in the NCAA, it’s called Bylaw 15.02.4.3. This rule states that any financial aid except that which is specifically exempted is going to count as athletic aid and make the student a “counter” in terms of scholarships.

Federal and state financial aid based on need is exempted. Academic scholarships for freshman may be exempted if the students meets one of the following conditions depending on the division:

Division 1

Top 10% of the high school graduating class
                          Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
                          Score 1200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105”
                          Doesn't this only work if the freshman is red-shirting ? Similar to what they used to call a gray shirt.

Comment

Doesn't this only work if the freshman is red-shirting ? Similar to what they used to call a gray shirt.
                            Dentlinger redshirted his first year.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Dentlinger redshirted his first year.
                              That's what I meant. It wouldn't have worked if he had played.

Comment

Brayden Carlson was a gray shirt. He was similar to in that and he was likely a self pay the first year of college. He was probably in the top of the academic world as well.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X