All Time players and teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Time players and teams

As i said in the other thread where i brought this up, maybe this has been done before??? i am guessing in some form it has, and there are so many ways to go with this topic it is hard to go in one direction. maybe somebody will want to break this down into separate threads, but i am curious what people thoughts about all time players and teams??? i will take an opening shot at this but i reserve the right to make changes upon further review. i have not given this lots of thought at this point. i will say that i remember watching the jacks as early as 1972, but i really did not identify with any individual player until Steve Brown arrived, i believe that was the 74-75 season. pretty sure he won the 1974 state championship with his charger teammates and arrived at SDSU the next year. ANYWAY......

Best team:
    does it need to be the 63 National champs?
    maybe the 85 runner ups with tournament MVP Tetzlaff?
    i do think some players we had at the D2 level could have been successful at the D! level so i do not AUTOMATICALLY discount all D2 teams and players, but i have to say the best and MOST talented team was Daum RS Freshman year. i believe there are many teams we could argue as best team, both the Nate teams that made the tournament, and i would say the best D2 team was Hansen and Stoebner junior year with Matt Jones as freshman, also had Moeller, Cerveny, Schantz, and Cone. AND if we are defining a TEAM as a group that is more than the sum of the parts and that acheives more by working together than individual talent suggests that they should, then i would even say last year team could be considered one of the great TEAMS!!

I TRULY believe that team with the only healthy year of matt jones, hansen, stoebner, and company would have been as good or better than every D1 team we had until Nate arrived. They absolutely should have been Nat. Champs. lost to Metro State on a prayer with 2 defenders in his face could not even see the basket shot. in bounded quickly to schantz who rushed up the floor only to have his potential winner role around and off after the horn. i think they would have beaten that team 7 out of 10 times and that Metro team went on to steam roll all 3 games at the elite 8 and be champs. following year had everyone back except Andy Cone and everyone thought they win it all no problem. ONE PROBLEM every player gets hurt, except Austin. spent most of year with Moeller, Schantz, Cerveny, and Jones in street clothes. Jones never approached his freshman year ability or production again. Stoebner a 6 ft 3 high school point guard played power forward and averaged over 8 boards a game in the hard nosed, physical NCC. him and Austin carried the team to region semi in Kearney, but Stoebs turns his ankle in region quarter and cannot play agains home team Kearney in semi. Austin goes for about 35 and almost beats them by himself but come up just short

anyway best and MOST talented, i do not think there is any trio on any team as talented as seniors George Marshall and DeAndre Parks and Freshman Daum, also throw in keaton moffit and Tellinghuesen. they took maryland to the wire and had a chance to score for the win in the final seconds to go to second round.

The game is constantly changing. I don’t think it fair to make any comparisons. Would the 1963 team be able to compete in today’s SL? Probably not. Those who are still living are nearly 80 years old if not older. It is fun to recall the past and we have have had a ton of stars, who had to be reminded by long time Equipment Manager Johnny Johnson, that if you where a high school star, it did not mean much at SDSU! He often told them, “they were nothing kid”. You had to earn the respect of Johnny. I used sip beer with Johnny at Ray’s Corner and listen to 1920’s football stories. His bark was much worse than his bite.

Comment

so many great jackrabbits over the years and i think so many could be argued top 5 or top 10 but i give it a shot:
      First team all rabbits-
      Nate is clearly the point guard, but wow we have been blessed with some great PG who have been so fun to watch
      George Marshall
      Austin Hansen. all these first 3 little bit of combo guard, especially bc nate and austin were also the first scoring option, haha i guess all the players i think of here except Nordberg really fit that mold. we also had Sempsrott and matt caldwell had an amazing freshman year. i think that is still the #2 scoring freshman year.too bad he lost his shooting touch and could not EVER find it after that first year because he was incredible as a freshman, hit a bunch of big time and game winning shots. against either NDSU or IUPUI i think he hit a 3 to send it to OT and another one to win it at the OT buzzer to win. thought he was going to be an all timer!!
      they are not equal to othes on this list but B Carlson and T King were also really really good PG for their teams. carlson did it most of his career and tevon really grew into the position as he got older
      probably missing some others, i think it was a McDonald at point for the 85 team and he was very good, but PG- Nate, i think not any real discussion

shooting guard-
      i am going to say for me it is Chris White, he is still my all time fav jackrabbit to watch! not that it is part of this list and i think almost any one i name, as far as i know is a GREAT person, and many of them i know at least to some degree. but he is such such a good guy)!!
      so many possible!!! i think i would also consider Austin for this list, also D Parks, and i think Steve Brown. no 3pt line for him or he is significantly higher on the all time scoring list. his FG% was much higher than later of our great shooters. some other great 2 guards, jeff booher, in a different way, randy suarez and craig jenkins, i think jenkins played some point after kyle adams graduated. and i think some all time older players go here too, but not sure??? the thomases? jacobsen? i think others. i think john thomas was more a forward but the youngest thomas was a off guard i think

small forward-
      this is the position i feel is weakest and i think maybe where an old timer could get the nod. maybe John Thomas. i know he was one of last guys cut by celtics, would have been his rookie year. those were the great Russell celtics and i believe he was called back later and decided not to go. so i think he might be the guy. but i could be forgetting someone. i guess most will say Telly or Kai Williams, but i think they are not at the level of the others i am thinking of here. if i was drafting a team, i would take an additional of our great power forwards or another of the great 2 guards.
      i know this will not be the common thought but i will say Chris Stoebner he could play the point and i think the ability to handle the ball well is an important part of being a good all around small forward. neither Kai or Telly were nearly the ball handler or passer that Stoebs was and he could guard every guy on the floor except the most elite posts. he could guard good posts, just you would not put him on say an elite low post guy for extended minutes. another guy here could be AA but he does not score enough but he can play the point effectively and guard every position on the floor, he can handle, pass, and board. if you just pick all time top 5, i think you go one of parks, dykstra, tetzlaff in this spot, but if you try to stay somewhat true to position i choose Stoebner

power forward
      clearly Daum. what can you say. he was so much fun to have!! sucks sucks SUCKS that his shoulder was hurt his senior year. that kept that team from really flying like we all hoped they would. career over 40% from the 3 but under 30 his senior year and that was the difference, in my opinion, between that team being all time all time amazing and what they were.
      others??? again lots tetzlaff, m jones, dykstra, D wilson, maybe meester and i think that is the list. C Larson had an excellent senior year

center
      i put tetzlaff here but i think really really hard about M Jones. his one year of good health was so incredible. i think if he duplicates his freshman year 3 more years he is DEFINITELY all time top 3-5 player. sucks a lot the way it went down. seemed like he was going to carry us to multiple natl, championships. the other player here is Lingenfelter

summary
      1st team
      Walters
      White
      Stoebner
      Daum
      Tetzlaff

2nd team
      G Marshall
      A Hanson
      D Parks
      Dykstra
      M Jones

and if i am just drafting a team i go Marshall, Nate, Parks, Daum, Tetzlaff

Comment

Best single individual year
        i go with
        M Jones freshman year with Daum junior year very very close!
        others on the list BOTH of Chris White year were incredible but senior year was more incredible so for one year i say C White senior year and M Caldwell freshman year. that is my list. kind of crazy we had 2 freshman have such amazing years

Comment

LGR....take a breath. Not every post needs to be a novel.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

"Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

well if we are making observations the post above yours was quite concise. but you are TOTALLY welcome to read or NOT read anything you choose. i do not think there is anyone forcing you to read my posts. somebody said recently that they wished that there was more conversation here and were disappointed about the lack of conversation. i thought this might be a fun topic to have some debate about and more positive than which of our coaches or players is the biggest disappointment. just to be TOTALLY clear, you are welcome to ask me whatever you want including asking me to not write such long posts. i respect your right to your opinion and to ask me politely whatever you want. i am not even MILDLY upset about your post. this is my simple honest response. i wish you a great week. Go Rabbits!!

Comment

i do apologize. that seems probably little bit combative. NOT intended that way. i am sorry. i have met myself before, so i am aware that i try to express a lot of thought at once. i will try to do better but i probably will not try extremely hard. i wont feel bad if you choose not to read what i write. and it does seem pretty dead around here so i guess at the very least i give you and others plenty to respond to. Go Rabbits!!

Comment

Don't listen to these guys. LGR you are fine. I won't attempt to list the greatest starting five. But, when I think of Jackrabbit basketball I think of Brown, Tetzlaff, Wolters, and Daum. I think these are the players that have impacted SDSU the most. And I know I am forgetting some others. JMO

Comment

i like your list!! if i hear you, i think you are kind of saying the names people think of when they think SDSU bball. if that is, i think your list is really good. i would say probably add Don Jacobsen. i am kinda guessing we are about similar age, so did not get to see him but i think he is kinda the first superstar, dont know how many people know it but he also went from playing at SDSU to coaching in orange city, IA and he is really the person most singularly responsible for the tradition of great basketball for the Northwestern RedRaiders. LOTS of the best coaches who have succeeded and continued the tradition there played for him or were connected to him in some way. Earl Woudstra who is current AD, i think or recently stepped down, and won a bunch of natl championships as girls coach played for don and still used many of the plays that he learned from don when he finished his coaching career. Earl coached the all time leading scorer in NAIA D2 womens history and his son brandon is the all time leading scorer in NAIA D2 men history. Don influenced many many coaches in northwestern IA, which is a GREAT basketball area!!

Comment

Working...
                  X