Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Lamb Bonanza Jackrabbits vs Leathernecks @ Frost Arena 4:15

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    This team seems to be really playing well together. Both of these games were fun to watch. Arians has done a good job of taking care of the ball in Keys absence although Key would definitely help us on transition. It is so good to see the Jacks working hard on the defensive end. That will win us a lot of games and makes them so much harder to beat. The passing on the team is really good. They all move it well and Dentlinger in particular. What a jump he has taken since last year.

They are really young but they have a chance to be a better team at the end of the year than last year. I think we can all agree that we were worried about how this season was going to go. New coach, losing 4 key players including the GOAT Jack, and a lot of new faces. That is gone for me. This is going to be a really good team with athleticism we've never seen before.

Get to Frost and watch these guys.

SUPERBUNNY
    Maybe its just me watching at home but I thought it was the athleticism that was what this team still needed. Being so young they needed to learn and figure out their roles. I wasn't overly worried about the shooting since they were all pretty good scorers in the past. seemed like some need time to adjust to the game speed maybe. Its hard to tell on TV. Like Scheirman, I know its a little to soon to compare him too but to me he is a poor mans Tellinghuisen, once he gets to speed of the college game I think his career could take a similar jump. Overall as certain players like Wilson is athletic like we haven't see in the post maybe ever, but others I felt are still needing to grow in that regard. but that's just me and I haven't seen any games in person. putting up points and playing defense like crazy this looks like a fun conference season. Just hope we can see some growth and wins on the road.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      This team seems to be really playing well together. Both of these games were fun to watch. Arians has done a good job of taking care of the ball in Keys absence although Key would definitely help us on transition. It is so good to see the Jacks working hard on the defensive end. That will win us a lot of games and makes them so much harder to beat. The passing on the team is really good. They all move it well and Dentlinger in particular. What a jump he has taken since last year.

They are really young but they have a chance to be a better team at the end of the year than last year. I think we can all agree that we were worried about how this season was going to go. New coach, losing 4 key players including the GOAT Jack, and a lot of new faces. That is gone for me. This is going to be a really good team with athleticism we've never seen before.

Get to Frost and watch these guys.

SUPERBUNNY
      Good post, I agree with all of it.

It will be interesting once Key is healthy again how his playing time is handled. It felt like Hendo thought he needed Key in there for almost the whole game, and I think this stretch has shown him that this team can definitely function without Key in the game. I think ultimately it will mean less minutes overall for Key, but it will allow him to be more effective. He was putting in 30 min/game, highest on the team. If you look at efficiency, he's on the lower end. I don't think it's a coincidence that turnovers/gm have gone from 14 in the 15 games he was involved in, and have been 10.67 in the last 3. If he gets less minutes like I suspect he will, I hope he handles it well, because that can be tough when he was averaging 30 before.

If you ask me, our best lineup and time distribution should look like this:

Starting (25-30 mpg):
      Wilson
      Dentlinger
      Wingett
      Freidel
      Arians

Bench contributors (15-20 mpg):
      Buchanan
      Key
      Scheierman

Deep bench contributors (5-10 mpg):
      Alou Dillon
      Matt Mims

Comment

The offense actually seems to be running more efficiently with Key out.

He's a dribbler that can get in trouble sometimes trying to do too much. It seems the ball has been moving like crazy since he's been out, and the inside/out game has been very tough to defend.

Where it will hurt is when we face teams that pressure the ball and have quick guards, because Key is the only pure point guard on the team and can generally get the ball up the court pretty well, even against pressure.

I like how the team is growing. Been really fun to watch the last few games.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          Good post, I agree with all of it.

It will be interesting once Key is healthy again how his playing time is handled. It felt like Hendo thought he needed Key in there for almost the whole game, and I think this stretch has shown him that this team can definitely function without Key in the game. I think ultimately it will mean less minutes overall for Key, but it will allow him to be more effective. He was putting in 30 min/game, highest on the team. If you look at efficiency, he's on the lower end. I don't think it's a coincidence that turnovers/gm have gone from 14 in the 15 games he was involved in, and have been 10.67 in the last 3. If he gets less minutes like I suspect he will, I hope he handles it well, because that can be tough when he was averaging 30 before.

If you ask me, our best lineup and time distribution should look like this:

Starting (25-30 mpg):
          Wilson
          Dentlinger
          Wingett
          Freidel
          Arians

Bench contributors (15-20 mpg):
          Buchanan
          Key
          Scheierman

Deep bench contributors (5-10 mpg):
          Alou Dillon
          Matt Mims
          I agree that Arians has handled the point guard duties very well in the last three games. But when you compare the turnovers from playing three mid-to- lower level Summit League teams with the first 15 games of the schedule, it's somewhat like comparing apples to oranges. Key's highest turnover games were against Arizona, USC, Indiana and the better mid-major teams the Jacks played. It is safe to say that Arians playing the point against those type of teams would have resulted in more turnovers than what we have seen in the last three games. Key was a difference maker in the late season run the Jacks made two years ago, and I expect he will play major minutes when healthy. It's only a plus to have Arians as a viable option at the point, and have Mims showing some promise as he gets some minutes.

Comment

Buchanan probably will be out quite a bit longer because of his broken foot. That will put more pressure on Mims to contribute. Key's value will become more evident against good teams that put more pressure on the Jacks' ball handlers.
            This space for lease.

Comment

I actually don’t mind key coming off the bench. A high energy guy like that can be a huge boost off the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                I actually don’t mind key coming off the bench. A high energy guy like that can be a huge boost off the bench.
                If he wanted to come off the bench he would of played last year. I just don't see it happening.

Comment

Key is a good asset and it will be good to get him back in the lineup. Early in the year he was being asked to do a lot as the young guys became acclimated. When he is under control he is really effective. Looking forward to seeing how he plays when he is healthy and in a lineup where he doesn't have to force things. It could add another level to our offense. He can really be good defensively as well.

While he start or come off the bench? Hard to say. Tough call for the coaches.

This is going to be a fun ride!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                    If he wanted to come off the bench he would of played last year. I just don't see it happening.
                    I am speculating here, somewhat. I think Key sat out because of the coach we used to have. Maybe I'm wrong but I would assume he was sitting on a scholarship, using it, and weighing his options.

Comment

Whatever is the situation with Key, it is a better scenario than the yotes where Simpson is forced into extended minutes and the play is a bit dismal. Key will be able to work into his minutes differently with a successful substitute at his job. He may or may not return to 30+ minutes as the season wears on. The rotation will vary differently with Arians being the backup that has shown his value at point. Mims would be the shrink on the playing time as it appears on the surface unless Hendo can develop longer rotations yet. The idea this is a problem with Key getting healthy may change the outlook to greater opportunity to mix it up during games with different opponents. As stated earlier, there were many that were ready to accept a 5th place in the Summit as a high expectation. Once again, the cupboard is not bare...it is just a different menu.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                        I am speculating here, somewhat. I think Key sat out because of the coach we used to have. Maybe I'm wrong but I would assume he was sitting on a scholarship, using it, and weighing his options.
                        That would not be unusual for a red shirt player to have a scholarship. I do not see him going into a funk at this time with this staff and team.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                          Whatever is the situation with Key, it is a better scenario than the yotes where Simpson is forced into extended minutes and the play is a bit dismal. Key will be able to work into his minutes differently with a successful substitute at his job. He may or may not return to 30+ minutes as the season wears on. The rotation will vary differently with Arians being the backup that has shown his value at point. Mims would be the shrink on the playing time as it appears on the surface unless Hendo can develop longer rotations yet. The idea this is a problem with Key getting healthy may change the outlook to greater opportunity to mix it up during games with different opponents. As stated earlier, there were many that were ready to accept a 5th place in the Summit as a high expectation. Once again, the cupboard is not bare...it is just a different menu.
                          Thumbs up!

Comment

Working...
                          X