Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @IUPUI

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Someone last night mentioned that Otz must be good at coaching offense because he is getting others to contribute, even when Daum can't get his due to double teams. 1. I would hope that others could contribute, considering the other team is leaving a guy wide open when doubling Daum. 2. I have been less than impressed with the adjustments that have been made to teams doubling Daum. It seems like we're banging our head against a wall just trying to feed it to Daum and hoping he can either score or find the open guy (not unlike we have been banging our head against the wall on defense). I am sick of watching him get doubled, our guys standing there and watching him, waiting for him to do something, and having to throw it way out to the top and reset, giving teams plenty of time to recover. A good coach will adjust his game plan to either take advantage of the double team better, or come up with more creative ways of getting Daum involved. For example, he doesn't get the ball on the perimeter near enough. When he does happen to, he will either knock down a 3 or dominate his guy on the dribble. I understand that this is not a good defensive team, which is why Otz is trying creative ways to play defense, but I have been less than impressed with the offense in many situations as well (especially last night), and we should be a solid offensive team at least.
    Multiple times last night Daum hit a cutter going to the basket. That's the first time I remember us running multiple cutters through the lane. Sometimes they helped and cut them off but we got easy buckets a few times.

Please explain why you think we aren't a solid offensive team.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      Multiple times last night Daum hit a cutter going to the basket. That's the first time I remember us running multiple cutters through the lane. Sometimes they helped and cut them off but we got easy buckets a few times.

I guess it's more the inconsistency that concerns me with our offense, not having a consistent set of guys we can go to. Probably stems from not having a true point guard being able to run the offense. I realize we have been putting up points, but it seems so disorganized and like we are always scrambling.

Comment

I guess it's more the inconsistency that concerns me with our offense, not having a consistent set of guys we can go to. Probably stems from not having a true point guard being able to run the offense. I realize we have been putting up points, but it seems so disorganized and like we are always scrambling.
        I'll buy that. I think we are well above average on the offensive end although sometimes I think we fall in love with trying to get the ball to Daum. But, playing through Daum is also when we are at our best so it's a double edged sword.

If we could get some consistency from somewhere, we'd be borderline elite on the offensive end.

Comment

I'm in the camp that is seeing improvement in the team but we need to call a spade, a spade. IUPUI isn't very good and neither are we right now. That's been established.

CappinHard had a great post above. It seemed like we just parked Daum on left block last night for the almost the whole game until a few minutes left and they moved him to the top of the key which drew his defender out and he was able to fake a 3 and go straight to the bucket for an easy basket and a foul. Now, I'm no elite BBall mind but it would seem that moving him around creates more opportunities. Daum did do a good job of passing last night to open cutters. More of that please! All of the numbers offensively were good last night except for the turnovers which led to a lot of fast break points for IUPUI. Orris had a couple too many but played a nice game offensively. Howell just gave it away a few times. His athleticism is very strong but the turnovers negates that last night. It happens but can't continue.

Ian Theissen has become our most consistent player the last few games. He is scoring efficiently and has been strong rebounding the ball. It was surprising he didn't see more play in the second half last night because he was having his way with IUPUI.

Defensively we still have a long way to go no matter what defense was played. Too many uncontested 3's again last night. Those need to be challenged.

Give a tip of the cap to the IUPUI player for hitting a tough shot to win. Shouldn't have gotten to that point. They should have beat us by their player hitting just one of two free throws. He didn't and we caught a break but didn't capitalize.

My belief is we will be in Sioux Falls in March but last night was definitely a blow to those chances. The team will either rally and get some wins or we don't deserve to be there which would really be a shame. They still need our support. I've heard people say that as long as we play zone then I'm not going. Well, that is kind of chickens**t in my opinion. As a fan, you take the good with the bad and always support your team. Is that the way everyone looks at it in real life? Hell no. Just don't like it.

Let's show up Saturday and beat the Mastadons!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I see it both ways. We are scoring "enough" points to win. But we have a 5 minute lapse in the 2nd half that goes from a close game or a slight lead to a 6 point deficit with 3 minutes to go. The overall defensive effort seems pretty weak overall, so it seems the issues to me, are they are not playing a complete game offensively, but also effort is lacking mostly on D.

Last year we avg 76 points a game all season and avg 77 just in conference play. we gave up 68 all year but 70 during conference
            This year we avg 74 points a game all season so far and avg 80 points a game in conference play. On D we give up 78 all year so far, but during conference games, we give up 86 points a game.

To me that seems like our offensive production is just as good as last year when we had good senior guards and experience. This year seems fine scoring wise, just sometimes looks out of sorts.

Defense is clearly the issue. Seems like to me good things happen on D when King is in there but maybe that's just me.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              I'm in the camp that is seeing improvement in the team but we need to call a spade, a spade. IUPUI isn't very good and neither are we right now. That's been established.

CappinHard had a great post above. It seemed like we just parked Daum on left block last night for the almost the whole game until a few minutes left and they moved him to the top of the key which drew his defender out and he was able to fake a 3 and go straight to the bucket for an easy basket and a foul. Now, I'm no elite BBall mind but it would seem that moving him around creates more opportunities. Daum did do a good job of passing last night to open cutters. More of that please! All of the numbers offensively were good last night except for the turnovers which led to a lot of fast break points for IUPUI. Orris had a couple too many but played a nice game offensively. Howell just gave it away a few times. His athleticism is very strong but the turnovers negates that last night. It happens but can't continue.

Ian Theissen has become our most consistent player the last few games. He is scoring efficiently and has been strong rebounding the ball. It was surprising he didn't see more play in the second half last night because he was having his way with IUPUI.

Defensively we still have a long way to go no matter what defense was played. Too many uncontested 3's again last night. Those need to be challenged.

Give a tip of the cap to the IUPUI player for hitting a tough shot to win. Shouldn't have gotten to that point. They should have beat us by their player hitting just one of two free throws. He didn't and we caught a break but didn't capitalize.

My belief is we will be in Sioux Falls in March but last night was definitely a blow to those chances. The team will either rally and get some wins or we don't deserve to be there which would really be a shame. They still need our support. I've heard people say that as long as we play zone then I'm not going. Well, that is kind of chickens**t in my opinion. As a fan, you take the good with the bad and always support your team. Is that the way everyone looks at it in real life? Hell no. Just don't like it.

SUPERBUNNY

I wasn't counting, but it seemed like about half of those turnovers were on plays where we were forcing the ball to Daum. Every team knows where the ball is going and it's so easy to anticipate, and our guys just continued to make bad passes when the opportunity wasn't there. There were a lot of passes that I would be angry at a high school player making, let alone a college player.

I agree on supporting the team. I will continue to complain and point out things that need to be fixed, but I'll never give up on a team that I'm a fan of, I still show up at games and watch when I can. I'm a Vikings fan for cripes sake... if I can get through a lifetime of that, I can get through this. I just hope there's a light at the end of the tunnel with Otz, because consistent coaching is a key to long term program success. Hopefully getting his recruits in will make a huge difference. If it doesn't and we are looking at a new coach in 2-3 years, that just restarts it all over again, which would really suck.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
                Seems sort of like the offense when Wolters would have to try to do everything him self. A lot of guys just standing around watching, sometimes helping him out or cutting etc, but this offense dump it down to Daum is pretty similar in that feel. sort of like the NBA just running ISO and let best place do what they do and doesn't really get the whole team involved in the offense.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

OldHare and I traded posts yesterday concerning Theisen's ankle injury, which we agreed was probably limiting him from playing big minutes. You could really notice it last night in the second half - he was struggling a couple of times to get back quickly on defense. But I do like him and Daum in together. That allows Mike to catch the ball facing up farther away from the basket. Ian also provides more rim protection on drives to the basket, which Daum doesn't do well when he plays the post. We need Howell's athletic ability, but I like him more on a wing, where he doesn't handle the ball as much, rather than at the point.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    OldHare and I traded posts yesterday concerning Theisen's ankle injury, which we agreed was probably limiting him from playing big minutes. You could really notice it last night in the second half - he was struggling a couple of times to get back quickly on defense. But I do like him and Daum in together. That allows Mike to catch the ball facing up farther away from the basket. Ian also provides more rim protection on drives to the basket, which Daum doesn't do well when he plays the post. We need Howell's athletic ability, but I like him more on a wing, where he doesn't handle the ball as much, rather than at the point.
                    I like the thought of having Daum, Thiesen, Orris, Howell, and either Reed or Hess in at the same time. Also, I did like that we went to a small rotation for a short period of time last night to switch things up. To me, it hurts us to have both Hess and Telly in the game at the same time, and it seems like it's not necessary. They both kind of do the same thing in just hanging around the 3 point line waiting for an opportunity to shoot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they both can be a defensive liability, which is more important right now. I think the most frustrating thing is that we have a lot of good pieces, but just can't seem to find a way to use them efficiently on both offense and defense. A big reason we are scoring as much on offense is due to individual efforts, like last night with Orris and Howell driving to the basket so often, not due to the team working together.

Comment

I would like to see Lane Severan from what i have seen of him he seemed to be a spark in the defense and rebounding area and we need both of those things badly

Comment

I'd like to see Daum on the perimeter a lot more. Let him face up and draw the double team out there, much more room to hit cutters going to the basket. If we had better shooters I'd understand the inside out approach. Use a high post of perimeter look with more pick and rolls and give and goes. If the defender stays with Daum you dish or swing, if not its the Daum show.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          I'd like to see Daum on the perimeter a lot more. Let him face up and draw the double team out there, much more room to hit cutters going to the basket. If we had better shooters I'd understand the inside out approach. Use a high post of perimeter look with more pick and rolls and give and goes. If the defender stays with Daum you dish or swing, if not its the Daum show.
                          They did that late in the game yesterday. At ORU Daum scored 32 operating mostly on the block. He's really good on the left block but IUPUI was doubling hard last night. So there are some subtle adjustments that are being made in-game.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            You are right we haven't seen a lot of pick n pops like we saw daum used a lot last year.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I am lost. A multiple cutter? What is it?

Comment

Pick and pop worked when you had Marshall and Parks, who defenses had to respect their ability to hit the 3. We haven't had a guard who has been anything close to consistently hitting perimeter shots. Wallace has shown glimpses, but one game out of 3 or 4 won't do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X