GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Murray State Racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Murray State Racers

Tyler reported during radio coverage of the game that Cole Gentry was sick, and Skyler Flatten was injured (back). Neither guy was available for the Murray game. Neither one has been able to play much this season. I hope that changes.
    This space for lease.

Comment

And it was more impressive considering that Flatten and Gentry were not available. Orris needs credit for coming in and providing meaningful minutes after not playing since the first week of the season. And TJ has learned to maximize Daum's minutes by pulling him right before media timeouts so he gets some extra rest without missing more game time.

Comment

One thing SDSU fans need to accept (me included) is that we are not, nor going to be, a Nagy-style team. At least not with the current roster.

With the 1-3-1, we are no longer going to be winning the rebounding battle on a regular basis and we are going to give up more uncontested 3 pointers.

How do we win then with these deficiencies? We emphasize other statistical areas like turnover and foul differential. Two areas were we weren't as good at with Nagy's style.

I would prefer our base defense to be a hard-nosed, man-to-man type with minimal switching on screens, but I realize this iteration of Jackrabbit Basketball can still be a good team if we refine the rough edges of the 1-3-1 (even though I will still probably pull my hair out watching the opponents take wide open corner 3s). Offense has improved immensely from the beginning of the year and hopefully that trend continues as the players get more comfortable in their roles.

I'm starting to believe more in the "process" than I was after the first 7 games because I'm starting to see "progress." Even if it's in a different direction than I would prefer.
        Last edited by Kemo; 12-18-2016, 11:00 PM.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

disclaimer- I haven't watched a game this year.

I'm not a big fan of a 1-3-1 as your core/main defense. I feel it works well as a trap defense from time to time or as a change of pace defense but even the teams that recruit for a 1-3-1 generally don't have success with it long term.

As for offense? IDK the pace they are making FT's they just need to isolate it to get to the line. But the key is defense, if you look at the box score they should have won the game by 20.

Comment

I kind of like the 1-3-1 because most teams will have to prep for it on short notice. Meanwhile, the Jacks seem to be getting better at it.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              But we're not winning by 20....

A month ago I honestly worried that we might not qualify for the Summit tourney. Now we have won four out of five (D1) and the one loss was to UNI on their home court. Perfect? Certainly not but it could be a lot worse. We are not going to win the regular season title but it is looking like we could indeed be a very dangerous team by March.
              I'm not so sure ... things are getting better.

Team had a lot of learn to start the season - new coach, new defense, new guards ...

Comment

Team is looking better, no doubt.

That's good.

There will be further bumps in the road. How the team responds to them will be the key. But, color me impressed with how they've bounced back after the poor start. Even if there has been a some disappointing performances in there. They are getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

Team had a lot of learn to start the season - new coach, new defense, new guards ...
                  we have yet to win a road game, or for the most part even compete in a road game. We won't be regular season champs if you can't win on the road and the zone on the road won't do many favors.

tonight against a terrible drake team will be a good measuring stick to see where we are at.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

I like your optimism. Anything is possible and there will be surprises over the next 3 months. The fortunes of our WBB team is a good example. One cold Friday night Macy takes the ball at one end of the court with the Jacks having realistic sweet-16 aspirations. By the time she dribbles to the other end of the court the team is suddenly in a position where just getting out of the Summit may be tougher than ever. Just like that....

I've watched a fair amount of Summit teams play so far. For now, it looks like Fort Wayne is standing head-and-shoulders above what will probably be a tangled mess of teams that scratch out 8 to 10 league wins. SDSU/USD/NDSU/Omaha and possibly IUPUI are all in that bunch. None of them have stood out so far and all of them look fairly similar to the classes of teams we've been playing (and beating) lately.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
                      we have yet to win a road game, or for the most part even compete in a road game. We won't be regular season champs if you can't win on the road and the zone on the road won't do many favors.

tonight against a terrible drake team will be a good measuring stick to see where we are at.
                      That monkey is off this team's back. Now comes probably their stiffest test yet. WSU will be a good gauge for this team

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post

This isn't really a fair assessment. The team has competed well in nearly the same number of road games as they haven't. Yes, they got blown out at Cal, UC Irving and UNI. But they were within 6 under a minute left at Wyoming and loss at Idaho in overtime. I'd consider that competing in nearly half of the true road games we've played.

Now, at Wichita St on Thursday may be a whole different story.
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                          This isn't really a fair assessment. The team has competed well in nearly the same number of road games as they haven't. Yes, they got blown out at Cal, UC Irving and UNI. But they were within 6 under a minute left at Wyoming and loss at Idaho in overtime. I'd consider that competing in nearly half of the true road games we've played.

Now, at Wichita St on Thursday may be a whole different story.
                          I wonder how many people thought we'd be .500 at this point in the season after the first 7 games?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            I wonder how many people thought we'd be .500 at this point in the season after the first 7 games?
                            I didn't. I still don't necessarily think this is a top half of the league team, but they are better than I thought they would be after that start.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              I didn't. I still don't necessarily think this is a top half of the league team, but they are better than I thought they would be after that start.
                              I agree. We haven't been winning pretty even at home. I'm most worried about the defense. Not convinced the 1-3-1 is a great base defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X