GDT: SDSU VS MINNESOTA CROOKSTON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: SDSU VS MINNESOTA CROOKSTON

The second home game that matches the Jackrabbits against D2 Golden Eagles. UMC is preseason pick to finish last in the Northern Sun. Wayne State, our last D2 opponent at Frost, is picked to finish one up from there. This will be an exhibition game for the Golden Eagles. The win on Sunday ought to propel more energy into the Jackrabbits tonight. I would expect this game to be less of a nailbiter than the Wayne State game as we see improvement continue for the Jackrabbits. I would suspect that we could try out a new defense or two tonight.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: GDT: SDSU VS MINNESOTA CROOKSTON

I normally despise these mid-OOC DII games, but this year I'm glad to see another one. It's much better than going back on the road and getting stomped in a payday game (see NDSU last night). A few things appeared to be looking up as the team left Sioux Falls and tonight should give them a chance to get some more work. Learning to play an usual defense will take time as will breaking in a couple of freshmen point guards. Anything that allows our shooters to get a little more confident right now is a good thing. So is coming back to Frost, and we have four of the next five at home.

Comment

Jacks lead Crookston 48-38. The 1-3-1 struggling to stop this D2 powerhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Jacks lead 48-38 at halftime.

Crookston is still in this game because they are shooting 10-21 from 3 point land, with a redshirt freshman off the bench, Connor Gamble, going 6-6 with a couple 30 footers.

The 1-3-1 is looking good at times, but its weaknesses can be pronounced when a team gets in rhythm from deep. We're even contesting the deep shoots decently, but when good shooters don't have to exert themselves to get open and can set their feet early, sometimes it doesn't matter. I'm not a huge 1-3-1 fan, but right now it's probably the best defense for this team at this particular time.

El-Darwich is looking good, btw. There is little doubt in my mind that he is the best point guard on this team.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post

They've got one guy who goes 6-6 from three and they are still down 10. Certainly better than our last DII game.....

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post

D still looked ok, just a few deep 3s. Doubt that kind of shooting will continue in the second half.

Comment

58-45, 12 minutes to play Jacks having their way on offense, but not liking our defensive effort.

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Pretty typical DII game thus far. I can't remember the last time one of these was "pretty", in spite of the score (and we have a healthy 24 point lead now). Some good (67% shooting for the Jacks) and some bad (12 3's for UMC).

Comment

Nothing wrong with a couple of d2 games. I hit several MAAC games a year at Lindenwood. Crookston belongs in the Northstar, however. Certainly we can do better than this.

Comment

90-58 Jacks. Final.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

No Orris? Dog house?

Comment

El-Darwich really looks comfortable out there - doesn't look like it's only his third college game. 7 points, 7 boards and 8 assists, and his length really causes problems on top of the 1-3-1. Have to like him paired up with King at the guards.

Comment

Edit: looks like BigTicket beat me to my Sergio point....

Sergio has 8 assists, 7 rebounds and 7 points in his second career start. Being 6'4 makes him pretty effective at the top of that 1-3-1 too. There's hope at the PG position, anyway.

It was nice to see King make a few 3's also. He's going to get plenty of open looks this season and could help make teams pay for collapsing in on Daum.

TJ noted that UMC used a slightly different offensive wrinkle against the 1-3-1, leading to all those open 3's in the first half. He mentioned being glad that they got a look at this new attack so that they can prepare for it down the road. You have to give the UMC shooters credit for making the most of those shots.

Comment

Great minds think alike !

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrabbit'14 View Post
                              No Orris? Dog house?
                              Somethings up. Never sees the floor at the end of games either.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                              X