Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    I believe that was one person's opinion that we need to be prepared to go to $350,000. I would be surprised if it get's to that level - if it would, AJ and Stig would rightfully be knocking at Sell's door asking to be treated similiarly. To me, a starting salary of what Nagy was currently making, or maybe slightly higher is where things are likely to fall.
    Allred Kurtenbach is often yelling: "Defense" "Defense" through a rolled up game program. Its up to guys like him who love SDSU basketball to step up to get a coach equal to or better than Coach Nagy. That's going to require extra $$$$, so as some one suggested we may also see an increase in tickets and why?? Higher salaries. It will be interesting to find out what the beginning salary requirements will be in order to hire a qualified coach.

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
      I think the speculation here was that SDSU was not able to go that high. More like $275 at this point. One would think that if we were able to eclipse the $375 K mark that money would have gone to Nagy, or at least given us a shot at keeping him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      Exactly. If we can afford to offer $375k to a new coach, how about we throw 400k at the highly successful coach we already have in place.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        Exactly. If we can afford to offer $375k to a new coach, how about we throw 400k at the highly successful coach we already have in place.
        Agree as well. Would be surprised if salary of new coach is higher than $250k.

Comment

Obviously, I'm naïve to the process but I'd like to think we can get a pretty darn good coach for $250K. Last I checked salary and ability to coach do not necessarily correlate in a linear fashion.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            Agree as well. Would be surprised if salary of new coach is higher than $250k.
            I suspect you are right, but for 250k can we expect another Nagy miracle? This does bother me.

Comment

I also have to admit that I know very little about Klinkefus. I don't mean to discount him, but I don't know what would make him that attractive as a head coaching candidate, except if they wanted to attempt to just keep the current program running.

I would strongly suspect that despite the success of the program, Sell has a vision for his ideal candidate and will go in a different direction.
              Contrary to popular belief on this board, Klink has been our best recruiter over the years. He may not have been the lead guy on Wolters but his list is deep (Williams, Callahan Bros, White, Fiegen, Dykstra, Heemstra, Larson, Bittle, Telly, Daum & Parks). He also has the love and respect of the current players to move forward in the next phase of Jackrabbit Basketball if he's tabbed.

He may not be the sexy pick going forward but he's been a huge force in what Jackrabbit Hoops has become.

If it's not him I like the idea of Billeter or Miller he's that rumor has any substance to it. Met Ryan a few times, great guy and easy to strike up a conversation with!

Comment

I would love to see that happen for Klink. I do not think he is our next head coach however.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                If he doesn't get the job here, I would bet that he is on the next plane to Dayton.

Comment

If he doesn't get the job here, I would bet that he is on the next plane to Dayton.
                  I think you are correct, I just wouldn't mind seeing him stay with the new head man. I suspect others are right as well, that if he does not get the head job, Nagy would have a spot for him in Dayton.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I suspect you are right, but for 250k can we expect another Nagy miracle? This does bother me.
                    With SDSU being a excellent program,new facilities on the horizon, I think for 250-275k, we could expect a P5 assistant who wants a shot at running his own program.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      I agree that Austin Hansen is not a candidate. He burnt way too many bridges when he left here two years ago. I can say with near certainty that won't be happening.

Klink would have to be our closest and most local candidate. And a strong one at that.

Aside from that Sell will consider all options and make a good hire. His MO in the past is to bring in someone that has Power 5 conference experience either as a head or assistant coach. I can't say if that will be the case here but if you look at his past hires most of them are of this mold, namely wrestling and baseball.
                      What bridges were burned? I must have missed what happened when he left.

Comment

I don't thInk so. One reason is there's no way of knowing how long the coaching search will last. Nagy needs to hit the ground running so I bet he has his staff in place.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                          I am not in on this either. Probably not important.

Comment

Just saw a tweet stating Nagy's new salary will be North of $500k. WOW!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                              He simply quit on the team and other coaches by not doing his job. Why he did this is unknown to me. The players sensed it and they passed their sentiment onto the other coaches that they wanted him gone.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                                Just saw a tweet stating Nagy's new salary will be North of $500k. WOW!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
                                This is why I posted what I posted upthread.

Jackrabbit Nation needs to get comfortable with coaches' salaries that start with the number 3 at least. If not now, then very, very, very soon.

It is coming--unless you want to become a basketball bottom-feeder.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X