Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Did I not read on this board, that our next offer would be in the amount of 375k? Or am I dreaming? If we offer that much, that is going to rule out a bunch of locals that have been mentioned such as Coach Klink or Billiter. Some one said this is a young man's game and age 55 might be tough for a guy like Billiter, though he does not appear to be slowing down in any shape or form. Also what does Chicoine make? With raises etc seems like he might not be at 375K yet considering his starting pay was 300k

Comment

TJ Bio http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=507699

Comment

Link to GoJacks.com with the lead story on Coach Nagy leaving:
        http://gojacks.com/news/2016/4/4/nag...all-coach.aspx

Comment

I agree that Austin Hansen is not a candidate. He burnt way too many bridges when he left here two years ago. I can say with near certainty that won't be happening.

Klink would have to be our closest and most local candidate. And a strong one at that.

Aside from that Sell will consider all options and make a good hire. His MO in the past is to bring in someone that has Power 5 conference experience either as a head or assistant coach. I can't say if that will be the case here but if you look at his past hires most of them are of this mold, namely wrestling and baseball.

Comment

As a Coyote fan I'm praying SDSU doesn't hire Matt Wilber. Thankfully I don't think SDSU will be plucking an NAIA coach. Wilber is a great coach and will do great wherever he is at. I don't want SDSU to get him. It would make me a little nervous for you guys to get Ryan Miller as well, although that is a little more speculation on my part. Obviously nobody knows how Ryan will be as a head coach, but my bet is he will be a good one. I've seen him do great things in Frost Arena before, I could see him doing it again (only as a coach this time.) I'm surprised to see Billeter on this list. Obviously his stock has never been higher, but it seemed for years people were wondering how much more time Augie was going to give him, as it seemed year after year they were underachieving. My guess is the next coach has not been named yet by this board as a possible candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              That's what I'm focusing on. You know that in order for Coach Nagy to have traveled to Wright State and meet with theWright State team as has been reported by ESPN's Goodman, Justin Sell had to have been informed by Coach Nagy that Nagy was looking and wanted to interview at Wright State etc. Sell had to have approved that before it happened. I think it is customary for AD's to grant such permission but the point is, Justin wasn't surprised by anything. So, he's had time to do some thinking and perhaps make contacts. I expect a fast decision in this case. Not sure why I think this but I do not think we'll see an announcement about a national search etc. Justin has been doing that "search" for a couple of years because programs have been interested in Coach Nagy and Coach Nagy has been keeping Justin Sell advised when necessary.
              Yep. I'm sure Justin has had a short list for some time and updated it about five minutes after we won the SLT.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                I agree that Austin Hansen is not a candidate. He burnt way too many bridges when he left here two years ago. I can say with near certainty that won't be happening.

Klink would have to be our closest and most local candidate. And a strong one at that.

Aside from that Sell will consider all options and make a good hire. His MO in the past is to bring in someone that has Power 5 conference experience either as a head or assistant coach. I can't say if that will be the case here but if you look at his past hires most of them are of this mold, namely wrestling and baseball.
                Agree on Austin. I would love to see Klink get hired by the new guy but just don't see him getting the top job.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Did I not read on this board, that our next offer would be in the amount of 375k? Or am I dreaming? If we offer that much, that is going to rule out a bunch of locals that have been mentioned such as Coach Klink or Billiter. Some one said this is a young man's game and age 55 might be tough for a guy like Billiter, though he does not appear to be slowing down in any shape or form. Also what does Chicoine make? With raises etc seems like he might not be at 375K yet considering his starting pay was 300k
                  Nah,that number was filbert dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                    A final thought about Coach Nagy. His greatest achievement was guiding the basketball program through the ugly transition period from DII to DI. It's really remarkable that he survived and kept a steady hand even in the darkest days. He has earned a unique place in SDSU's athletic history.
                    Not to take too much away from Nagy, but I think we can all agree that Wolters (and a couple other big hits in that and the following recruiting class) probably saved Nagy's job. Yes, Nagy probably had something to do with recruiting Nate, so kudos for that, but if Nate doesn't come along, I don't think Nagy lasted more than a year or two more. People were starting to wonder if he could hack it at the D1 level. Again, I don't want to take too much away from Nagy, credit to him for taking that success and running with it, and ultimately having a successful D1 era at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

I don't want a DII guy. I want an DI guy.
                      100% agree.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

He has a winning smile, something Nagy did not have, but I hope he knows as much as Nagy. I like his background.

Comment

I believe that was one person's opinion that we need to be prepared to go to $350,000. I would be surprised if it get's to that level - if it would, AJ and Stig would rightfully be knocking at Sell's door asking to be treated similiarly. To me, a starting salary of what Nagy was currently making, or maybe slightly higher is where things are likely to fall.

Comment

I think the speculation here was that SDSU was not able to go that high. More like $275 at this point. One would think that if we were able to eclipse the $375 K mark that money would have gone to Nagy, or at least given us a shot at keeping him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                              Agree on Austin. I would love to see Klink get hired by the new guy but just don't see him getting the top job.
                              I would love to see that happen for Klink. I do not think he is our next head coach however.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Ryan Miller bio..http://www.unlvrebels.com/sports/m-b...er_906698.html

Comment

Working...
                                X