Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Not the least bit surprised......I think Sell make the right choice for a variety of reasons.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      If I'm an AD and Calipari is on a reference list of a possible candidate, I'd throw the resume in the trash. Call me a dummy but I wouldn't want a guy who two had final four appearances (UMass & Memphis) "vacated" by the NCAA listed as a reference. I don't care how many national championships he's won or how big of a name he is. He's a flat out cheater.

Sell doesn't need to call Calipari back just because of who he is. Not calling him back is a sign to me that Ryan Miller was never a serious candidate. The Miller camp is going to have to accept that and get over it.

Mike is coming across as the little brother whose big brother just got beat up. Grow up.
      Why call references at all? Nobody is going to put someone down as a reference that isn't going to say something nice, right? Why even bother?

Because you might learn something, and you never know what the reference will say that could be critical information in your hiring decision.

I'm not saying that Sell needed to call references for candidates if his decision was already made. I would be disappointed if our Athletic Director viewed references through the prism of who they are instead of what could be learned from talking with them. No matter what their reputation is.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
        Also, thought it was very telling that Craig McDermott came to the introduction from Creighton. We have a lot of connections down there with Mark Burgers as their Associate Athletic Director. They run a solid program down there in many ways like ours so it was apparent that our people talked to their people. McDermott is building a very impressive coaching tree with Jacobsen at UNI, Richman at NDSU, and now Otzelberger at SDSU.

Sell talked some about the process which was good.

It's a great day to be a Jackrabbit! This program is going to continue to shine and get even stronger!

SUPERBUNNY
        FWIW - Its Greg McDermott not Craig. Just being an anal whatyamacallit.

McDermott gave TJ is first collegiate job, taking a chance on a kid who had no right being on the ISU staff at the time. The chance paid off for both of them in spades.

If you look deeper McDermott's coaching tree extends deeper into the assistant coaching ranks. You'll see guys working for these guys who worked with McDermott as well.

I suspect you will see one or two joining TJ's staff!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          Why call references at all? Nobody is going to put someone down as a reference that isn't going to say something nice, right? Why even bother?
          I think you call references to validate things ... for example ... Coach McDermott what do you think is TJ's biggest strength? If McDermott doesn't say the same thing TJ says about himself then you dig deeper. If McDermott doesn't say the same thing as Lorenzo Romar then you dig deeper.

It shouldn't be just a courtesy validation call.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
            I think you call references to validate things ... for example ... Coach McDermott what do you think is TJ's biggest strength? If McDermott doesn't say the same thing TJ says about himself then you dig deeper. If McDermott doesn't say the same thing as Lorenzo Romar then you dig deeper.

It shouldn't be just a courtesy validation call.
            We are in agreement. Each reference is an opportunity to learn something. I get not calling if your decision is made, but I have personally learned some very surprising information (good and bad) from calling references.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Speaking of Burning Bridges... seems like Coach Otz dodged a bullet in Milwaukee...

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/uw-m...gram-rant.html
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                Speaking of Burning Bridges... seems like Coach Otz dodged a bullet in Milwaukee...

Saw that, it was hilarious and very well worded.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post
                  I would think Sell could have given a courtesy call to Ryan if he had interviewed him. I know if I were him I would have appreciated one. If someone doesn't answer, there is this thing called voicemail as well. I guess I thought Sell would be a little more professional.
                  Continually relying on "if it happened"? Do you know what kind of communications came from the SDSU Athletic Administration? Speculation on message boards is permitted and expected but impugning someone's integrity ("I guess I thought Sell would be a little more professional.") without some actual facts, while allowed, probably says more about the integrity of the poster than the target of the post.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    If I'm an AD and Calipari is on a reference list of a possible candidate, I'd throw the resume in the trash. Call me a dummy but I wouldn't want a guy who two had final four appearances (UMass & Memphis) "vacated" by the NCAA listed as a reference. I don't care how many national championships he's won or how big of a name he is. He's a flat out cheater.

Sell doesn't need to call Calipari back just because of who he is. Not calling him back is a sign to me that Ryan Miller was never a serious candidate. The Miller camp is going to have to accept that and get over it.

Mike is coming across as the little brother whose big brother just got beat up. Grow up.
                    The way I read it is that he was not a reference, but that he made a courtesy call to Sell (Not unlike what was reported that Heupel did for Flynn when that job was open.).

Sell chose not to return Cal's call for whatever reason.

I may be wrong, but that is how I read and understood it. I haven't dug deeper than what I have read on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post

Can someone please post a graph so we can understand what all the fuss is about?

Comment

And Beard is officially ditching UNLV for Texas Tech. Time for Mike and Ryan to re-focus!
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                          The way I read it is that he was not a reference, but that he made a courtesy call to Sell (Not unlike what was reported that Heupel did for Flynn when that job was open.).

Sell chose not to return Cal's call for whatever reason.

I may be wrong, but that is how I read and understood it. I haven't dug deeper than what I have read on this board.
                          My argument would also extend to coaches who have also worked under Calipari, which Ryan Miller has. At Memphis from 2004-2006. But before Derrick Rose arrived at Memphis for the 2007-2008 season. Rose did verbally commit to Memphis the fall of 2006, his senior year. So take that for what it's worth. All the wrong doing by Rose and Memphis which vacated the 2007-2008 season seemed to have occurred during his senior year (bogus SAT score and high school transcripts changed) and while at Memphis (his brother got to travel along with the team for free).

Cite: Wikipedia - Derrick Rose

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            Continually relying on "if it happened"? Do you know what kind of communications came from the SDSU Athletic Administration? Speculation on message boards is permitted and expected but impugning someone's integrity ("I guess I thought Sell would be a little more professional.") without some actual facts, while allowed, probably says more about the integrity of the poster than the target of the post.
                            Get over yourself. I already said I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                              And Beard is officially ditching UNLV for Texas Tech. Time for Mike and Ryan to re-focus!
                              The Miller fanboys are flooding the UNLV message board as we speak.

Comment

Ryan Miller was a good, strong candidate who appears to have lost out to an even better candidate. That's all that really matters. Like any college sports administrator at a public university, Sell is not immune from scrutiny and criticism. It looks like he probably could have been more PR-conscious in his selection process, but the result of his search appears to be solid.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X