Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Not excited. Should have gotten Billeter. This one is going to blow up on us.
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
      I can't say I'm really excited either, but I'm not sure who would have tripped my trigger.

Editt: Have to trust the decision makers, they haven't given us reason to doubt their judgement.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I can't say I'm really excited either, but I'm not sure who would have tripped my trigger.

Editt: Have to trust the decision makers, they haven't given us reason to doubt their judgement.
        Geesh guys. Relax and have some optimism. We can sit on this board and judge the selection but none of us truly know anything. Justin Sell is as respected of an athletic director as you are going to find. He knows what the right fit is. It doesn't mean other candidates were not good candidates. I would assume Justin thought highly of Billeter - but he has a team, program, athletic dept, fan base and a lot more to consider the fit. I think we owe our full support (and patience) to whoever the Coach is. We are hiring a guy that has been highly pursued for mid-major jobs. He passed on all last year in hopes of getting the Iowa State job - which then went to Prohm. Prohm then turned around around and made TJ one of the most highly paid Associate HC/Assistance coach's in the region. I'm looking forward to a new era. Heck, this guy spent how many years under Hoiberg who is considered on the finest offensive basketball minds anywhere.

Comment

And if/had Sell hired Billeter and we became average he would have been ripped for hiring a D2 coach.

My hope is that this ends today. This thread has totally gone off the rails.

Comment

Not to mention you have a sitting University president who just completed a 4 year term on the NCAA Presidential Advisory Group and spent more than a decade as the NCAA Faculty Representative and Big 10 rep while at the University of Illinois. Justin and Dr. Chicoine know what they are doing. They had benefits of numerous candidates that they had to balance out and choose one.

Comment

It doesn't matter who the hire is if he wins it will be viewed as successful, if he loses it won't be viewed as successful.

Unless you were part of this committee, or were in the room for the interview, you can't say too much. You can say I would have looked at more so with X or Y, but you don't know if there was something disqualifying in their background check, how they interviewed, if there was red-flags with their references, etc. Those things will never be made public by Sell. We might hear "whispers" in the coming weeks why X or Y was not chosen and why A was chosen but again those are just whispers.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                It doesn't matter who the hire is if he wins it will be viewed as successful, if he loses it won't be viewed as successful.

Unless you were part of this committee, or were in the room for the interview, you can't say too much. You can say I would have looked at more so with X or Y, but you don't know if there was something disqualifying in their background check, how they interviewed, if there was red-flags with their references, etc. Those things will never be made public by Sell. We might hear "whispers" in the coming weeks why X or Y was not chosen and why A was chosen but again those are just whispers.
                100% agree.
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Borderboy View Post
                  So what is the correct pronunciation of our likely new coach? Aht or Oat zelberger? Excited for the decision to finally be made and have the men;s program start preparing for next season.

Great question. I've been wondering the same thing.

I received some communication that he's coming here. I think it's a good hire.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I love it how some people think they have a better idea who the new coach should be than Sell and the actual search committee.

Comment

It would be impossible to hire a coach that everybody would agree on. That's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2010 View Post
                        Geesh guys. Relax and have some optimism. We can sit on this board and judge the selection but none of us truly know anything. Justin Sell is as respected of an athletic director as you are going to find. He knows what the right fit is. It doesn't mean other candidates were not good candidates. I would assume Justin thought highly of Billeter - but he has a team, program, athletic dept, fan base and a lot more to consider the fit. I think we owe our full support (and patience) to whoever the Coach is. We are hiring a guy that has been highly pursued for mid-major jobs. He passed on all last year in hopes of getting the Iowa State job - which then went to Prohm. Prohm then turned around around and made TJ one of the most highly paid Associate HC/Assistance coach's in the region. I'm looking forward to a new era. Heck, this guy spent how many years under Hoiberg who is considered on the finest offensive basketball minds anywhere.
                        Meant my post to be realistic, not optimistic or pessimistic. IMO, the reality is nobody knows how the new coach will do no matter who it is.

How about this: WOW! LOVE THIS HIRE, EVEN THOUGH IT HASN'T BEEN FORMALLY ANNOUNCED. WE WILL PROBABLY WIN THE SUMMIT 10 YEARS IN A ROW, MAKE MULTIPLE ELITE 8'S, AND GET AN INVITE TO THE BIG 10!!!! WITH THIS HIRE, A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION. IN FACT, IT IS LIKELY. I JUST TOOK OUT A SECOND MORTGAGE TO PLACE A BET IN VEGAS!!! GO STATE!!!!
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Why didn't Billeter get a serious look at UW-Milwaukee? Why hasn't he gotten other D-I offers since they just won the D-II national championship? Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                            It would be impossible to hire a coach that everybody would agree on. That's ok.
                            Right, but there are a lot of absolutes spoken in this thread.

Sell and the committee could certainly miss, but I'm certain they have a lot more relevant information than anyone on this board.

Comment

I gotta be honest, when I first heard he was probably the guy I wasn't too happy. I couldn't believe that Sell could screw it up that bad. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I know nothing about the guy except for what I was reading on this board. I spent an hour last night reading bio's, articles and fan forums just to get a flavor for what we were getting into.

I think he is going to be a great hire. He is well known as a recruiter so that is a given. His group of recruits may not have done well initially but I think you could easily place that on McDermott as they did much better under Hoiberg when he arrived. As for the 5 run ins with the law that were mentioned with the recruits, I wonder how many he actually recruited. This was during the time frame he was with Washington for a 2 year stint. Hoiberg had made it known that his ultimate goal was to be an NBA coach and I get the feeling he sold his soul to the devil with recruits to make that happen. Hoiberg also praised him highly in regard to recruiting, game planning and X's and O's.

He went to Washington to get a better chance at being recognized as a coaching candidate. The reason he came back is that is wife who graduated from ISU had recently given birth to twins and they wanted to get back closer to the Midwest where they had family and friends. Hoiberg welcomed him back with open arms, Washington was diappointed to lose him, by all accounts he was offered the UWM position before it was rescinded by the Chancellor and now by some accounts he will be our head coach. It appears that he easily wins over others including recruits. I don't think it will be any different with our players once they meet him and get to know him. Half the battle is getting other peoples buy-in, I don't think he has that problem. Just my $.02

Comment

Story in Des Moines Register on TJ http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...arch/82961460/

Comment

Working...
                                X