Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by GETJACKED View Post
    Why do you think Miller is always available? He sounds like a snake in the grass to me!!!
    For your first post in 13 months (and second overall) that's a pretty strong allegation. On what do you base that contention? Miller has an impressive resume and doesn't seem to have trouble finding work.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by GETJACKED View Post
      Why do you think Miller is always available? He sounds like a snake in the grass to me!!!
      One way to build a resume is stay one place and build a program and have long term sucsess. Others do it buy moving on every few years. his reputation as a recruiter is well known, never really heard issues that would be cause for concern. But most jobs that would probably be a red flag. coaching i dont think its that much of an issue.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        I think most people are saying that it could be a potential upgrade. Just because we have had recent success, doesn't mean we had the best coach and can't upgrade. There are many other factors that go into the MBB recent success. To name a few: Nate Wolters (2 of the 3 tournament appearances), strong home crowds (nearly undefeated at home), and a little bit of luck (the 1st and 2nd round SLT games this year). As I have said before, nothing against Nagy, but a strong P5 assistant will most likely be an upgrade over a mid major coach like Nagy.
        The two points in bold above are not the same thing. It's one thing to see the potential for a coaching upgrade - it is quite another to automatically assume it will be. With over 300 D1 programs looking for the best coach they can get, we have been blessed to have one that by nearly any measure is a desired commodity in the coaching ranks. I can't agree that just because someone was a p5 assistant that it automatically means they have what it takes to lead a program. Sometimes good assistants are just that - good assistants.

Comment

One issue that I think Justin Sell will have to resolve with Ryan Miller is that he has some experience with a few coaches (Calipari, Haith, etc.) who don't exactly have stellar reputations in regards to academic achievements by their players. I have no idea what Miller's experience is in that area.

I know I don't really care that much if all of the players are church 'choir boys' per say, and would actually prefer to have some with a bit of swagger to them. That said I'm pretty sure that the donors that will write a check for the new facility will be pretty adamant that academics have a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            I think most people are saying that it could be a potential upgrade. Just because we have had recent success, doesn't mean we had the best coach and can't upgrade. There are many other factors that go into the MBB recent success. To name a few: Nate Wolters (2 of the 3 tournament appearances), strong home crowds (nearly undefeated at home), and a little bit of luck (the 1st and 2nd round SLT games this year). As I have said before, nothing against Nagy, but a strong P5 assistant will most likely be an upgrade over a mid major coach like Nagy.
            One thing is for sure, it will easier to claim the new guy is an upgrade if you continue to discredit/discount Nagy's successes. He owns his great years and his turds.

Comment

As an "old guy" I find all this conversation about Ryan Miller to be very interesting. If you would have told the Jackrabbit faithful that the high-scoring, somewhat cocky kid from Northern State who killed us in the regional final in March 1998, was a favorite to become the Jack's head coach, you would have been laughed at all the way to Bruce. He was enemy #1. Time heals ...

Comment

If your going assistants I'd say tj and Ryan are a notch above darian if you look at resumes and recruiting. With that being said I'd have to give the edge to Ryan as he is from South Dakota. If you don't go Ryan I think I would understand billeter as he has South Dakota ties and head coaching experience. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

i am a klink fan as well Just not sure if he's got a strong shot or not. I think he should and would be happy if he was named head coach too.
                Last edited by Jacksin; 04-08-2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  For your first post in 13 months (and second overall) that's a pretty strong allegation. On what do you base that contention? Miller has an impressive resume and doesn't seem to have trouble finding work.
                  Pitino does not have any trouble finding work either. Miller may be judged by the graduation rate of the recruits he has been involved. I do not have that information, but I do not accept finding work as a qualifier in the debate. Miller is a popular choice right now that should be evaluated on his talent and results of that talent rather than how many jobs he has obtained. I am not endorsing the snake in the grass viewpoint on this post either. The research is Sell's job. I understand and endorse the SD connection for this candidate as a plus. We need to trust that Sell will perform his due diligence on this hire to continue the success of the program with a different set of criteria than the posters on this venue may entertain.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I don't much about Sell, but I do know that AD's that don't hire the coach that boosters prefer tend to not stay an AD for very long. I agree that the boosters will (or at least realistically should have major influence) in only because athletic departments depend so much on donations.
                    If Sell wants to be "his own man" it could be the beginning of the end of his time at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by CasualJacksFan View Post
                      I don't much about Sell, but I do know that AD's that don't hire the coach that boosters prefer tend to not stay an AD for very long. I agree that the boosters will (or at least realistically should have major influence) in only because athletic departments depend so much on donations.
                      If Sell wants to be "his own man" it could be the beginning of the end of his time at SDSU.
                      If we review what has been done facility wise, it would appear that Sell and the boosters may have a compatible relation.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The Skyforce honored Augies men's team tonight during halftime. Coach Billiter wasn't there but all the players were.

Also Gentry, Telly, Theisen, and Flatten were at the game.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                          The Skyforce honored Augies men's team tonight during halftime. Coach Billiter wasn't there but all the players were.

Also Gentry, Telly, Theisen, and Flatten were at the game.
                          I thought it was a titch odd that Billeter wasn't there...
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

The daily Ryan Miller twitter update. He now follows Jackrabbit Wrestling.

Edit: Jackrabbit Baseball also...
                            Last edited by jacks1; 04-09-2016, 12:47 PM.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Matt Zimmer ‏@argusmattz 19h19 hours ago South Dakota, USA SDSU's coaching search should get into full swing this weekend and into Monday. Justin Sell has been out of town at NCAA meetings this week.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                                The daily Ryan Miller twitter update. He now follows Jackrabbit Wrestling.

Edit: Jackrabbit Baseball also...
                                Itd be hilarious if he was just catfishing everyone.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X