Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie Game Part II

Originally posted by SDSU Alumna
    Long time reader, first time writer...I have to make a couple of comments about yesterdays games. First of all, what a great performance by both teams. We are just much more talented than Augustana. I have been attending Jacks games for more than 25 years. As a Sioux Falls resident, I have been to the Augie/State game each year. I too was disappointed that the Argus Leader focused on something that had very little to do with the game. Perhaps it was a new writer, someone who was unaware that this has been going on longer than all of us have been alive. My father has some great stories about the rivalry and the antics of fans several decades ago. It actually used to be much worse than it is now. I have to admit, although I am a State fan I, like many of my fellow Jack fans, look forward to the State/Augie game to see if a Rabbit will be thrown. Whether we like it or not, whether it disgusts us or not, it is a tradition. No one was hurt, every one in the arena stood up and cheered (some for the techinical foul, some for the rabbit) and most people had a smile. I have been at Frost when Coyote head have been tossed. It is not that big of a deal. Rivalries are about tradition.. and the jackrabbit tossing is a tradition that this Jacks fan will miss. There are my two cents...take them for what they are worth.

Jan
    While I was not at the game, some of the faithful diciples of Jacksbasketball.com did attend, and reported on the stringent, I'm being serious, security. Purses were checked, rifled through, all coats got the pat-down, etc... it was harder getting into the Augie game than getting a box of nail clippers onto a transatlantic flight.

In other words, the augie people were in cahoots with the security. Considering the size of the rabbits, which seemed to be closer in size to a rabbit-skin covered cow than a rabbit, there's absolutely no way that someone didn't turn their head as the dead rabbits walked by.

Either than, or someone pretended it was a muff or scarf or something.

Regardless, the point of this is that indeed, much like the rest of the sports staff at the Argus, they find the most foolish thing and beat it to death.

The lede should have been:
    --
    Number eight ranked Jackrabbits went 0-2 on Jackrabbit tosses from the Elmen Center in conference action Saturday Night.

Late in the game, Augie hit one 20 lb rabbit from the reserved seating, cementing their lead. SDSU was stifled for the 10th year running, as stringent zone coverage made it impossible to heave any dead Vikings on the floor.

In other action around the area, SDSU also won a basketball game. Again.

--

I've always been somewhat upset both Stu Whitney's tone on a variety of things, but mostly really disappointed by Chris Solari. He tries so hard, and it just seems too over the top. I just wish there wasn't so much fluff in the stories.

Like you mention, it's always interesting to see the level of depravity, but it was not deserving of as much play as it gets. It would be nice if the game was remembered for the quality of game play, not the stupid stunts people pull.

Comment

Working...
    X