Augie Game Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie Game Part II

I wonder if the Augie fans are resigned to the fact they will loose and thats why the dead rabbits are thrown. They absolutely destroy their team's chances (however slight) with those antics. and it doesnt bother the STATE fans. I just don't understand these actions!! Why would "fans" do that to their own team.

Comment

For those of you not listening to the webcast, SCSU leads MSU 41-29 at the half.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

With 11:00 to play, SDSU 69 - Augie 38!  

Go State!

Comment

I was on the phone when Moeller had that reverse layup just now-The crowd went crazy !!! Jacks Rolling...

Comment

Another dead rabbit during the time out, another T to the Vikings.  Moeller at the line, 1-2. SDSU 68 - Augie 38.

Comment

I want to see a 50 pt. win. Pour it on JACKS !!!

Comment

With 9:22 to go, some of the Augie "faithful" are heading for the door.  I can hear "Lets Go Rabbits" as the State fans take over the Elmen Center.  Jackrabbits 72 - Vikings 38!  Nice job Guys!   ;D

Go State!

Comment

Our rabbits have returned-Just in time to go to ND next weekend!!!

Comment

Whew, I'm finally back home at last.

Sounds like the starters are mostly done for the day...Hearing Hokenson, Giever, and Melaney quite a bit.

83-51, under 3 minutes left...
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Final Score SDSU 87 - Augie 60! Could have been a bigger margin but we played a lot of Res. towards the end.

Go State!

Comment

Not a 50 point win but a great game against a terrible team.  I hope it speaks to a better performance for the rest of the year.  This also marks the end of the "rivalry" with Augie (they won't make the NCC tournament).  I for one say good riddance.

NDSU will put up a much better fight than Augie.  Lets get Jones back, of the bench, and continue the winning streak (now at 4)!  We really need to sweep the N.D. schools on the road next week.  Gotta cheer for the Sioux tonight.  I'll be listening via the web between this game and the UNK vs. Regis game (go Regis, fat chance).

SCSU beat MSU 72-56 in Mankato, sweeping the Mavs. I still won't cheer for USD tonight.

Ft. Lewis, #5 in the region, lost again last night.  Might be 5 teams from the NCC, 2 from the RMAC, and 1 from the NSIC in the regional.  I guess we have to wait and see what happens in the conference tourneys.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here is part of Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayfeature.shtml

Jack men easily defeat Augustana
                          Chris Solari
                          Argus Leader

published: 2/8/2004

Rabbits can't fly. But when one was chucked through the air Saturday, it allowed South Dakota State to soar.

An Augustana fan lobbed a beige-and-white hare onto the Elmen Center floor midway through the first half, sending the blue-and-yellow clad Jackrabbit men on a game-breaking 17-3 run. SDSU coasted from there to an 87-60 victory.

A second dead rabbit was tossed on the court during a timeout at the 11-minute mark of the final half, eliciting a second technical foul on the Vikings. It didn't matter - SDSU was leading by 30 points.

"It's too bad their students do that to them," SDSU coach Scott Nagy said. "If I was Augustana and that happened to me, mentally, it would be a downer. It's like, 'We want to beat this team, and it's tough enough to win games in the (North Central Conference). We don't want to give them points.'

"It's like their students just don't even care."

The final score isn't indicative of just how thoroughly the Jacks dominated. Ninth-ranked SDSU's lead swelled to as many as 40 points in the final period as they improved to 21-3, having won five straight league games since opening NCC play with three losses.

*(correction, not from the story, SDSU won it's NCC opener against USD, and have now won 4 straight in league play)

The Vikings (5-16, 1-7), losers of six in a row, compounded their woes by shooting just 29.6 percent in the first half.

"I think (SDSU) played better defense, but we were so tight and wanting to win so bad," Vikings coach Tom Billeter said. "We missed so many easy shots and got in a hole that we could never dig out of."

The sad aspect for Augustana's players is that the game was close until their classmates' antics.

With the score 22-14 through the first 11 minutes, the Vikings had every chance to duplicate or top last week's 10-point loss to SDSU in Brookings. They were playing with the same scrappiness and intensity as the first meeting.

"We were battling them for a while," said Jackrabbit guard Andy Moeller, who scored a game-high 20 points.

That's when the students helped take the game out of the players' hands.

With 8:51 left in the half and Moeller about to shoot the second of two free throws, a hare helplessly hurtled head-over-feet to the floor from the Viking student section. The carcass landed on the free throw line inches from Moeller, causing him to hop backward.

The students began chanting "Augie! Augie!" as officials discussed the situation. After the rabbit was disposed of and the floor cleaned, the Vikings were assessed a technical foul.

Moeller made the two freebies, beginning the Jackrabbits' long and thunderous knockout punch. SDSU finished the final 10 minutes of the half with a 27-10 burst.

"It caught me off guard, that's for sure," Moeller said of his hare scare. "I don't know if it sparked us, but the technical shots definitely helped. That probably got us going I think."

That big run also left those same Augustana fans standing silently - many wearing "Just Throw It" T-shirts with "Augie" on the front, coupled with an illustration of a crowd watching a bunny being thrown toward a basketball player on the back.

Even some of the Augustana women's team sported the shirts, which also had a Nike swoosh logo spoofing the old "Just Do It" ad campaign. The Vikings men's team wears Nike shoes.

"In a game like this, you know it (a rabbit being thrown) is going to happen," said senior forward Justin VanMeeteren, who led the Vikings with 12 points. "We planned it ahead in the week that we were probably going to come in four points down, with maybe two technicals."

When the second rabbit-toss occurred, a student ran out of the stands and picked it up , twirling it around like a rally rag or some type of trophy. Again, SDSU was awarded free throws for the technical. . . .

. . .Washington alum Dave Medema had 11 points for the Vikings, while Nick Olson and Jon Wagner added 10 each.

For SDSU, Marquise Richardson had eight points, nine rebounds and seven assists.  

You know its one thing for the Augie Students to wear T-Shirts promoting the throwing of dead rabbits, its another for the Women's team to be wearing them.  The College should have more control and class then that.  Oh well, a huge butt kicking is always a nice form of revenge (and boy did the Women get some revenge SDSU Women 107 - Augie Women 64 what a laugher).  Nice way to end the D-II rivalry! ;D

Go State!

Comment

I was at the game. Great win for the jacks.. Dissapointing that all the Argus wanted to focus on was the Rabbits thrown rather than the jacks domininance. Jones looks much more alert and I wonder if he might see some spot time next week in Fargo. Nice to see the remergence of Cervaney. We have the best 1-2 guard combo in the league with Moeller and Richardson. They played with a lot of energy.

Comment

I'm glad Augie does what it does (thrownig rabbits) because it has cost them wins over the years (not yesterday)however. But why would a coach allow his players to wear that shirt? can you imaging Coach Nagy/Johnston allowing players to wear something like that. And what do you think would happen if the STATE fans actions constantly cost thy Jacks points/wins by their behavior.-It would be stopped by administration/coaches/common sense??
                              Augie is so classless... How embarrasing for them.

Comment

Long time reader, first time writer...I have to make a couple of comments about yesterdays games. First of all, what a great performance by both teams. We are just much more talented than Augustana. I have been attending Jacks games for more than 25 years. As a Sioux Falls resident, I have been to the Augie/State game each year. I too was disappointed that the Argus Leader focused on something that had very little to do with the game. Perhaps it was a new writer, someone who was unaware that this has been going on longer than all of us have been alive. My father has some great stories about the rivalry and the antics of fans several decades ago. It actually used to be much worse than it is now. I have to admit, although I am a State fan I, like many of my fellow Jack fans, look forward to the State/Augie game to see if a Rabbit will be thrown. Whether we like it or not, whether it disgusts us or not, it is a tradition. No one was hurt, every one in the arena stood up and cheered (some for the techinical foul, some for the rabbit) and most people had a smile. I have been at Frost when Coyote head have been tossed. It is not that big of a deal. Rivalries are about tradition.. and the jackrabbit tossing is a tradition that this Jacks fan will miss. There are my two cents...take them for what they are worth.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X