X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transfers Leaving

Agreed 100%!!!
    Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    Enough of this transfer talk of the remaining players. Here's a Stuart Smalley Monday morning positive vibe for you. Our new coach is going to be so well received by the current players, fans, and alumni, that not only will the current players stay , but our new coach will bring in some big-time JUCOs to compliment Daum, Telly, and the others and will put us right back in the NCAA Tourney next year. BOOM!

Comment

Enough of this transfer talk of the remaining players. Here's a Stuart Smalley Monday morning positive vibe for you. Our new coach is going to be so well received by the current players, fans, and alumni, that not only will the current players stay , but our new coach will bring in some big-time JUCOs to compliment Daum, Telly, and the others and will put us right back in the NCAA Tourney next year. BOOM!
      It could happen,

Comment

Folks I would relax a little on all the transfer talk. Most of this was started by this character Nick Goeman on twitter who thinks he's Jeff Goodman. I've never seen his name pop up on anything relevant to our program. If Daum were to transfer he would have to wait until he graduated. Because he redshirted last year he would have to get a special exemption from the NCAA to become eligible right away or at the very least not lose a year. People panic but when the dust settles I don't foresee many if any defections. I agree with the statement that players choose to play for coaches not schools, but they also develop close bonds with their teammates and that would be hard to walk away from.

I do believe that if Klink gets the nod as coach we'll see zero defections, I'm also confident that I guy like Billeter will keep our guys around as well if he's tabbed as the next HC!

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
          Folks I would relax a little on all the transfer talk. Most of this was started by this character Nick Goeman on twitter who thinks he's Jeff Goodman. I've never seen his name pop up on anything relevant to our program. If Daum were to transfer he would have to wait until he graduated. Because he redshirted last year he would have to get a special exemption from the NCAA to become eligible right away or at the very least not lose a year. People panic but when the dust settles I don't foresee many if any defections. I agree with the statement that players choose to play for coaches not schools, but they also develop close bonds with their teammates and that would be hard to walk away from.

I do believe that if Klink gets the nod as coach we'll see zero defections, I'm also confident that I guy like Billeter will keep our guys around as well if he's tabbed as the next HC!
          I for one am relaxed. Its a bit shocking that Nagy left Brookings and all his good friends that he has at his personal church. I can imagine his church will really miss him as he took his personal religious life very serious and participated whenever he could. A great coach, but who knows who his replacement is? I sure don't and have no speculations. When the offering salary is greater than the President Chicione who started at 300k, that person will have to be very special and skilled. I tend to believe its going to be an outsider.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post

Didn't Arkansas Little Rock make the tourney this year with a first year coach and a number of new players.... We will be ok. Great institution, fans and athletic admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I think we can conclude, they are all under contract, but different terms and for different purposes. I think if a SA has found a major he/she is comfortable with they seem less likely to leave. They came for an education and a BB career is secondary. Life is about making a living and not playing games. That is the ones we like to watch as fans. It will all work out.
              except for Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina.

Comment

I agree. No purpose is served by a few running around worried about a worse-case scenario.

When Tim Miles left NDSU, the players stayed in place and Saul Phillips took the Bison to the tourney and won the first game. When Phillips went to Ohio U, the players stayed in place and the program didn't go in the dumpster under Coach Richman (now, you can argue about whether you like the weave etc. but Richman seems to be a good guy and is running a good program and as he recruits players who fit his game style...the Bison will be tough). *

On the discussion about the school not allowing transfers.... I think a student can leave a school when they want to but so long as they are enrolled at the school, I think the school has to approve the athlete communicating with other programs, seeking a new place to land. Other schools cannot talk to the potential transfer unless the first school releases the student to have those discussions. The school is well within its rights to slow the process down, hire a coach, and then talk to any student who wants to transfer and try to talk them out of it. I think it is customary that if a student's mind is made up that they want to transfer, the schools typically give a release quickly.

Another poster noted that athletes have a connection with their teammates and that's a strong bond. I think that bond is stronger than any bond with a coach. These guys are mature enough to wait and see who is hired and then make a decision. When you consider how many teams lose their coaches but their teams stay intact--the evidence supports the proposition that there is almost no chance for mass defections and a very low chance of any defections.

Our program is very attractive right now and with a major upgrade to Frost getting 'on deck', I expect the phone, email and the fax are starting to heat up in Justin Sell's office as coaches from across the country are getting permission from their AD's to talk to SDSU.

*Well, some may say, what about the NDSU women falling on hard times? We won't go there.

Comment

I like the way you think, TK.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                    except for Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina.
                    Oh yeah. Always exceptions to the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      On the discussion about the school not allowing transfers.... I think a student can leave a school when they want to but so long as they are enrolled at the school, I think the school has to approve the athlete communicating with other programs, seeking a new place to land. Other schools cannot talk to the potential transfer unless the first school releases the student to have those discussions. The school is well within its rights to slow the process down, hire a coach, and then talk to any student who wants to transfer and try to talk them out of it. I think it is customary that if a student's mind is made up that they want to transfer, the schools typically give a release quickly.

To expand on this a little...I did some research on this yesterday. A player can transfer at any time to any school. They aren't slaves to the school. However, in order for an athlete to talk to other schools they need to be released. The school can put restrictions on this, ie Daum can't go to Dayton. By putting this restriction on Daum he's not allowed to talk to Dayton about playing basketball there. Daum can certainly go to Dayton, however, he wouldn't be able to get a scholarship and would have to sit out a year. Daum would have to pay out-of-pocket his first year similar to what George Marshall did although for completely different reasons.

If Daum were to transfer to any DI school he'd have to sit out a year and since he's used his redshirt year he'd lose a year of eligibility. I'd be really surprised if that happened. I just used that as an example to help illustrate how that process works.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        To expand on this a little...I did some research on this yesterday. A player can transfer at any time to any school. They aren't slaves to the school. However, in order for an athlete to talk to other schools they need to be released. The school can put restrictions on this, ie Daum can't go to Dayton. By putting this restriction on Daum he's not allowed to talk to Dayton about playing basketball there. Daum can certainly go to Dayton, however, he wouldn't be able to get a scholarship and would have to sit out a year. Daum would have to pay out-of-pocket his first year similar to what George Marshall did although for completely different reasons.

If Daum were to transfer to any DI school he'd have to sit out a year and since he's used his redshirt year he'd lose a year of eligibility. I'd be really surprised if that happened. I just used that as an example to help illustrate how that process works.
                        Are you sure?

It seems odd that WIU let Omegano transfer to ORU or UMKC let Reggie Hamilton to transfer to Oakland? How are their situations different?
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Are you sure?

It seems odd that WIU let Omegano transfer to ORU or UMKC let Reggie Hamilton to transfer to Oakland? How are their situations different?
                          Another example of where it happened. When Colton Iverson transferred from Minnesota, he was not allowed to go to any schools that were on the Gophers schedule for the upcoming years.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            Are you sure?

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes...ission-contact

Google is your friend.

As to why those two players were allowed to transfer? I'd call the schools and ask them why they didn't place a restriction. Different AD's have different ways of doing things.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Thank you. I thought it was bizarre that posters were saying that the school could prevent players from transferring.
                              Anyway, yes schools can try to restrict where transfers can go but that is getting challenged all the time.

Comment

Some conferences have rules/agreements whereby they do not allow athletes to transfer and play from one conference school to another conference school. I suppose those rules can be waived if all parties agreed. I think the Big 10 has such a rule in place.

Comment

Working...
                                X