Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-2017 Schedule

Originally posted by hareball View Post
    Per the SDSU website the USD - sdsu women's game in Vermillion is also on Saturday, December 31. Will be interesting to see what time each game is scheduled.
    Makes perfect sense....

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
      Per the SDSU website the USD - sdsu women's game in Vermillion is also on Saturday, December 31. Will be interesting to see what time each game is scheduled.
      Limiting the crowd potential for two of the Summit's biggest games. Scheduling genius.

It's also disappointing that both the NDSU and USD MBB games occur when the students are on break. I guess we were due to have that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        Limiting the crowd potential for two of the Summit's biggest games. Scheduling genius. I

It's also disappointing that both the NDSU and USD MBB games occur when the students are on break. I guess we were due to have that happen.
        Some one sitting in a comfortable Elmhurst office does not know this nor do they care. One of the big benefits of being member of the prestigious Summit League. Just being sarcastic, it can't be fun to be the one drawing up the schedule. I suspect they do try to balance out rivalries but we just got the short end this year.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 07-09-2016, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Some one sitting in a comfortable Elmhurst office does not know this nor do they care. One of the big benefits of being member of the prestigious Summit League. Just being sarcastic, it can't be fun to be the one drawing up the schedule. I suspect they do try to balance out rivalries but we just got the short end this year.
          I have always felt that this is something that could and should be avoided. Every team in the conference has a rivalry that they would prefer to have scheduled on prime date. So why can't they have a "Rivalry Week" in the Summit League and get this done. Most schools have a hard time getting fans to come out for any and all games. SDSU fans aren't nearly as fired up for when alphabet soup comes to town versus NDSU and SDSU. Students pay a lot in activity fees and season-ticket holders pay for their good seats and they have a right to be upset when this happens.

The answer can't be that big of a challenge. Douple and crew just simply need to shift the schedule just a bit so those rivalries fall on better dates. Am I wrong on that?

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            I have always felt that this is something that could and should be avoided. Every team in the conference has a rivalry that they would prefer to have scheduled on prime date. So why can't they have a "Rivalry Week" in the Summit League and get this done. Most schools have a hard time getting fans to come out for any and all games. SDSU fans aren't nearly as fired up for when alphabet soup comes to town versus NDSU and SDSU. Students pay a lot in activity fees and season-ticket holders pay for their good seats and they have a right to be upset when this happens.

The answer can't be that big of a challenge. Douple and crew just simply need to shift the schedule just a bit so those rivalries fall on better dates. Am I wrong on that?

SUPERBUNNY
            Rivalry week seems to be a solution, I would think an email might get this going down the road. I dont know how many years in advance they set these schedules up maybe 10 years. Seems like the presidents vote on the approval of schedules. So I dont think this is a surprise to the president and staff. I just looked at the SL website and also a google did not provide any links about board minutes so I can not prove the above and was going on memory. In fact maybe it might be the NCC that approved schedules far in advance. At any rate, it looks like we got to go with what they give us.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
              How do you accommodate basketball scheduling with multiple school calendars. I'm sure ORU's spring break is different than SDSU. Additionally you don't necessarily want rivalry games later in the season all the time either.

Also ... might be better that a rivalry game is on December 31st than say a game against WIU ... collective attendance for both games could be better.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                How do you accommodate basketball scheduling with multiple school calendars. I'm sure ORU's spring break is different than SDSU. Additionally you don't necessarily want rivalry games later in the season all the time either.

Also ... might be better that a rivalry game is on December 31st than say a game against WIU ... collective attendance for both games could be better.
                You are right. It seems so easy to say but the devil is in the details. Probably just an unfortunate thing that there really isn't much that can be done. IF there is something reasonably easy though it should be taken of.

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

I wouldn't mind playing USD or NDSU over Christmas break once in a while but it shouldn't happen very often. I know several years ago SDSU moved a game down to SF to be played in the Arena over Christmas break because they didn't want to lose a home game when the students were around. They thought, with the activity fee, they should play their games in Brookings when the students were around. Students have to pay some for the Summit League Tournament so that is a little different but since you brought up spring break, that is when the tournament is played every year. It would be nice if more students showed up for all of the games but this type of schedule hurts them for the biggest games this season(Summit League/USD).

I think you will have a rivalry game near the end of the season about half of the time. You have both USD and NDSU. Unless you play both of them on the same weekend, they will make up half of the weekends during the conference season. The odds of this are probably better than playing on NYE because that wont always be on a Saturday night.

I think the attendance could be a little better this way but I don't know how much. I don't see many students showing up for the WIU game either way and this could take a lot of them away from the USD game. So you might lose out on the students but you will probably gain on the other fans. Of course, you might have to factor that the USD game is a "premium" game so the cost of a ticket might be a factor. If it's a night game, why not start your party and watch it at home and save the $25(???)/ person?

My opinion is that if it's a day game, there will still be a decent attendance. If it's a night game, there will be less than people there has been the last few years by a good amount. But I don't know much!

Comment

The USD game on New Years Eve will be packed. Saturday afternoon game with the rest of the night to party. Only thing it will affect is people using that weekend to go on trips, which I will be doing.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Student attendance in the Summit league tournament was brought up. When the Summit league first came to Sioux Falls, it was not over Spring Break. More students would attend because it was a 40 minute drive down and you could carpool with all your friends. Most students go home/on trips over Spring break. Many of these students live further away than the 40 minute drive and going to the games is more difficult.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                      "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                        Student attendance in the Summit league tournament was brought up. When the Summit league first came to Sioux Falls, it was not over Spring Break. More students would attend because it was a 40 minute drive down and you could carpool with all your friends. Most students go home/on trips over Spring break. Many of these students live further away than the 40 minute drive and going to the games is more difficult.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                        I'll give USD students credit, they seemed to outnumber ours at least 2-1, and that was for the midday women's championship. I assume they were on break also. You'd think a school with a enrollment of well over 10,000 could scare up 500 student fans for a title game (and rivalry game) on national TV - break or no break. Something could probably be done to improve this.

Comment

I'll give USD students credit, they seemed to outnumber ours at least 2-1, and that was for the midday women's championship. I assume they were on break also. You'd think a school with a enrollment of well over 10,000 could scare up 500 student fans for a title game (and rivalry game) on national TV - break or no break. Something could probably be done to improve this.
                          USD students get free tickets. Especially when the men play later that night, it can turn into a bit of an expensive tournament. Each ticket is $15. If one is to buy a ticket for all the SDSU men's and women's games it would cost them $90. Not every college kid is wanting to blow that kind of cash on the tournament when they can watch at home. If the tickets were free I guarantee we would have better numbers. If the tickets were free and it wasn't spring break, the student section would be packed every game; I guarantee it.
                          "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                            USD students get free tickets. Especially when the men play later that night, it can turn into a bit of an expensive tournament. Each ticket is $15. If one is to buy a ticket for all the SDSU men's and women's games it would cost them $90. Not every college kid is wanting to blow that kind of cash on the tournament when they can watch at home. If the tickets were free I guarantee we would have better numbers. If the tickets were free and it wasn't spring break, the student section would be packed every game; I guarantee it.
                            It has been my impression that there were a lot of other students there who had tournament passes and were setting with relatives/friends and didn't bother to move to the designated seats at the end of the court for Jacks games.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                              It has been my impression that there were a lot of other students there who had tournament passes and were setting with relatives/friends and didn't bother to move to the designated seats at the end of the court for Jacks games.
                              Also true. I had some friends that did this.

Comment

Free tickets and I think free bus transportation from Vermillion and back. Might be wrong on the bus.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X