Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-2017 Schedule

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    There are 3 very solid mid-majors coming to Sioux Falls to play SDSU this year. I think we could get a major in the right situation (money/schedule/connections) to come to the Pentagon. With the large local fanbase, somebody like Iowa/Minnesota/Nebraska at the Denny is also in the realm of possibility IMO. Iowa to Brookings? Zero chance, no way, not going to happen.
    We can't play in the Denny if we want that to be the home to the SLT. And getting a P5 team to the Pentagon is like comparing apples to oranges.....those games are heavily subsidized by Sanford Health.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      The problem at hand with all "high viewership" college sports is it comes down to money. That's really sad. Secondly, as many have pointed out, another big fear is getting their butts beat by a relatively unknown (on national scale). The committee that selects the field for the BIG DANCE takes that into account. SDSU is dangerous, if not lethal, at home, and that doesn't bode well for the Jacks in lining up out of conference games.

As you know, I'm a huge fan of your new coach, and I'll tell you right now he's having trouble talking to anyone about coming to Frost. Major dilemma. And this is a guy that has connections all over the country and is extremely well liked. Coaching is a fraternity, and by and large, they try to help one another....but no coach at Iowa State or Minnesota, or Nebraska is going to bring in a team to Brookings and get beat. It's simply not going to happen.

I think the best option for either SD school is to do home and homes with schools of their caliber, and maybe a 2 for 1 with a higher rated mid major. As far as Washington coming in...no way in hell. It's wrong, but it's the way of the world.
      Although there is no much new in this post, it says the obvious about scheduling for a mid-major college. Its hard to argue with any of it. We should not expect miracles in scheduling, but take what we can get. Good job YE.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
        The problem at hand with all "high viewership" college sports is it comes down to money. That's really sad. Secondly, as many have pointed out, another big fear is getting their butts beat by a relatively unknown (on national scale). The committee that selects the field for the BIG DANCE takes that into account. SDSU is dangerous, if not lethal, at home, and that doesn't bode well for the Jacks in lining up out of conference games.

As you know, I'm a huge fan of your new coach, and I'll tell you right now he's having trouble talking to anyone about coming to Frost. Major dilemma. And this is a guy that has connections all over the country and is extremely well liked. Coaching is a fraternity, and by and large, they try to help one another....but no coach at Iowa State or Minnesota, or Nebraska is going to bring in a team to Brookings and get beat. It's simply not going to happen.

I think the best option for either SD school is to do home and homes with schools of their caliber, and maybe a 2 for 1 with a higher rated mid major. As far as Washington coming in...no way in hell. It's wrong, but it's the way of the world.
        The only real solution I can think of would be for the NCAA to require all D-1 schools to schedule some significant fraction of their out-of-conference, non-exempt-tournament games (1/3? 2/5?) as true road games (i.e. either more than 50 miles from their home arena or if closer than 50 miles, in the home arena of the opposing team).

This will not happen.

So your proposal is the next best option . . . high-mid-majors scheduling each other aggressively and cooperatively.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          Geez, let's all go jump off a bridge or something. Better yet, the Jackrabbit men should become a team of consequence. Smaller schools have succeeded doing that. (Butler, for example.)
          Back before Gonzaga was Gonzaga . . . I seem to recall . . . they built their reputation by being a school that would go on the road (a LOT) to play the best, and beat them a significant fraction of the time.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It's all about the money. Summit League teams averaged 2,006 fans per game in 2016. The Power 6 basketball conferences all averaged between 7,731 to 12,555 fans per game. I'd say it is a safe bet that their average revenue per ticket sold is also significantly higher.

However, here's what is driving scheduling for the Power 5/6 schools in basketball - TV revenue. Advertisers don't want to pony up big dollars to have games in small market arenas. So to protect and enhance revenue streams from TV, you have to cater to those markets.

Recent Big 12 and SEC average annual revenue distribution per school: (all sports)

Year Big 12 SEC
            2012 $18.7 million $20.1 million
            2013 $19.8 million* $20.7 million
            2014 $22 million* $20.9 million
            2015 $25.2 million* $31.2 million

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              A trip to the Dakotas is equal to a trip to outer space.
              People would pay good money for a trip to outer space,so we probably rank lower than that even.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                People would pay good money for a trip to outer space,so we probably rank lower than that even.
                Yes I know.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  We can't play in the Denny if we want that to be the home to the SLT. And getting a P5 team to the Pentagon is like comparing apples to oranges.....those games are heavily subsidized by Sanford Health.
                  I thought a couple games could be played on the SLT court? Did they change that rule? Am I misremembering?

How much does Sanford pay to bring Minnesota to town (2 years in a row)? Iowa vs. SDSU at the Denny would have to be a sellout, wouldn't it?
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    I thought a couple games could be played on the SLT court? Did they change that rule? Am I misremembering?

How much does Sanford pay to bring Minnesota to town (2 years in a row)? Iowa vs. SDSU at the Denny would have to be a sellout, wouldn't it?
                    Yeah, I thought it use to be as long as you played less then a certain percentage of games somehwere that it would count. I thought Duke use to play mid majors or some other Carolina schools early in the season to get a feel for the gym and a little practice for tournament settings etc. maybe it was a nuertral court that they werent playing the ACC tourny in, but for some reason I thought they did.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Yeah, I thought it use to be as long as you played less then a certain percentage of games somehwere that it would count. I thought Duke use to play mid majors or some other Carolina schools early in the season to get a feel for the gym and a little practice for tournament settings etc. maybe it was a nuertral court that they werent playing the ACC tourny in, but for some reason I thought they did.

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      I have 2 guesses here.

1. The rule for not playing in the Denny is strictly a Summit League Conference rule. Not a NCAA rule that says you cant play a regular season game in the Tournament gym.
                      2. If the NCAA has a rule saying that you cannot play in the gym that hosts your tournament (which I doubt they do have such a rule), the ACC may have a different host than Duke? Perhaps UNC, NC State, or Wake Forest are technically the hosts of the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                        I have 2 guesses here.

1. The rule for not playing in the Denny is strictly a Summit League Conference rule. Not a NCAA rule that says you cant play a regular season game in the Tournament gym.
                        2. If the NCAA has a rule saying that you cannot play in the gym that hosts your tournament (which I doubt they do have such a rule), the ACC may have a different host than Duke? Perhaps UNC, NC State, or Wake Forest are technically the hosts of the tournament.
                        Many conferences play their tournament on the home floor of the team that wins the regular season. Big Sky is one example. So it can't be and NCAA rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                          Many conferences play their tournament on the home floor of the team that wins the regular season. Big Sky is one example. So it can't be and NCAA rule.
                          Not anymore as they now play in Reno I believe.

Comment

You are right about the Big Sky, my bad, but the Patriot, Northeast, American East and Atlantic Sun all played at campus sites.

Comment

http://gojacks.com/news/2016/6/30/me...-december.aspx

Three DI home games on December Saturdays. Add that to three at the Pentagon in late November and the non-conference schedule is looking pretty good.

Comment

UPDATED:
                                Nov. 11th @ California
                                Nov. 14th @ UC-Irvine
                                Nov. 19th @ Wyoming
                                Nov. 20th @ Idaho
                                Nov. 25-27th Sanford Pentagon Showcase (in Sioux Falls)
                                Nov. 25th vs UC-Irvine
                                Nov. 26th
                                vs East Tenn State
                                Nov. 27th
                                vs Milwaukee
                                Dec. 3rd vs UMKC
                                Dec. 7th @ UNI
                                Dec. 10th vs Idaho
                                Dec. 17th vs Murray State
                                Dec. 19th @ Drake
                                Dec. 22nd @ Wichita State
                                Last edited by SanDakotaState; 07-06-2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X