Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-2017 Schedule

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    Agreed. D II games are never an optimal situation. Unfortunately, Jacks have only ONE ooc
    game at Frost this upcoming season. If I am a season ticket holder In not too happy about game count.
    It would seem likely that some mid majors should be looking for competitive games in OOC. The mid major teams should not be avoiding each other for home and home contests. If the P5 teams will schedule a home only pay game, I remember that was the main menu for Oakland in the past to get games. They also won very, very few of those road games. It would be a positive move for the Summit to imitate the ACC/Big 10 challenge that happens every year. They could approach a number of conferences to initiate a few OOC games for the members that could replace the DII game on the schedule of many mid major teams. It is a mid major problem and it will need to be solved at that level. The games at the Pentagon this year are another step in the right direction even though it does nothing for season ticket holders.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
      Somehow, I doubt that TJ will look very positively on DII games unless we absolutely can't get anything else scheduled at home.
      TJ played his college ball at Wisc-Whitewater so no doubt has a feeling for those games. If he can avoid them, I am sure he will but you sometimes have be very carefully in making changes unless its an obvious one in need. Such as more cowbell.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        That's probably because the P-5 and High-majors won't do H&H 's with mid-majors.The P-5 are killing the idea of sportsmanship with their selfishness and their desire to have everything their way like spoiled little children.They are pampered way too much, but they have the bucks so no way to fight that.They can threaten to take their ball and make everyone go home I guess.....JMO. Better quit being outspoken and controversial again....we all know where that can lead,ruffling feathers isn't always the best demeaner to put forth I guess.
        This is ridiculous. Why should P5 schools do anything outside of their own best interests?
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Duke has no issue playing Augie in exhibition game.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            o/

A Duke tradition, no?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              But I doubt that Duke would ever come to Augie to play, at least not without a Sanford-like incentive.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                But I doubt that Duke would ever come to Augie to play, at least not without a Sanford-like incentive.
                But they are the D2 champs and beat Iowa in an exhibition game! Duke is lucky that they get to host Augie. I mean SDSU can't even do that....

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  This is ridiculous. Why should P5 schools do anything outside of their own best interests?
                  Guess I used to be naive enough that I thought good teams would have enough confidence to believe they can beat anyone ,especially a power 5 team vs a mid-major,then I found out how cowardly they really are,and won't even take the slightest chance they could be upset.You see them as smart (I suppose they are),I see cowardice.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had more interesting match ups in college basketball and chances for upsets.We always have to wait for those in the NCAA tournament . Some P-5 conferences want to ban scheduling any mid-major teams. Hows that for playing it safe. We have totally different philosophies on what's in the best interest of the sport I see,fine with me,but I don't plan on changing my mind unless you have a more compelling reason than being smart enough not to risk defeat to a seemingly lesser opponent.How are mid-majors supposed to challenge themselves when all the big bad P-5 schools are ducking them?I've already spent too much time on this subject,but I've stated my reasons,because you asked for them.I don't expect you to agree with any of them,because we have yet to agree on anything so far,I don't expect that to change.There you have it.

Comment

The unfortunate reality is that college sports are more of a business than a sport. P-5 schools need to build schedules that not only will get them likely wins, but also bring teams in that their fan bases will buy tickets to see. Look at the fan boards of P-5 schools after their schedules come out and see the complaining of their season ticket holders if they believe there are too many mid-major type schools coming in (kind of what can happen in here when people want a more challenging home schedule). And then, as was the case with Minnesota last season, if the Jacks and USD come in and win, the s*it really hits the fan and the number of butts in the seats for future games go down. Fans will come to see their team get beat by what they perceive to be "good" opponents but lose a few games to what they see as "lesser" teams and they will start staying away in droves.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      Guess I used to be naive enough that I thought good teams would have enough confidence to believe they can beat anyone ,especially a power 5 team vs a mid-major,then I found out how cowardly they really are,and won't even take the slightest chance they could be upset.You see them as smart (I suppose they are),I see cowardice...
                      Do you hold the same opinion when a mid major refuses to play a D II team?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        Exactly. Same reason they will soon enough form their own post-season tournament.

I can't see myself keeping my season tickets for much longer. Home schedule isn't enticing and my opportunities to get to games are less and less.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          For example, SDSU refusing to play Augie? What a bunch of cowards...😉
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Taking this thread to the alignment shop to try to keep it on track.

Waiting for the formal announcement on the season opener (away game)...the final schedule will overall be good one. Scheduling exciting home games will be a constant challenge due at least in part to our great success defending Frost Arena. But, that's life in the mid-major lane.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              I see your point,but what's the solution to everyone hiding and refusing to play against lesser teams....another official split of Div 1.
                              I suppose. Div 1 is already split along the lines of P-5, High-major, mid-major, and everyone else.It's just a relatively recent phenomenon that teams discriminate and refuse to play an opponent in the same Division for fear of losing. At least it wasn't outwardly spoken of in years past or considered an option in the future.People have things figured out too much,and they keep ruining the sport.I'm not happy with that,but that's just me.I do see the need to keep fan interest high,just wish things were more open to everyone a little more...wishful thinking perhaps....
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 06-17-2016, 12:55 PM. Reason: softning tone edit

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                                For example, SDSU refusing to play Augie? What a bunch of cowards...
                                Who said anything about scheduling games in a different division...that's a completely different matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X