Regional Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Regional Rankings

JACKS move up to #7 in the National rankings. I think Metro might move up into the top spot as they were listed as second in the last poll. I think Kearney was listed like at 5th?

Comment

Non doubt Metro will be #1 in the region.  We should occupy the #2 spot with UNK at #3.  I don't really care after that.

Go Col. Christian, at Metro on Thursday.  We need to keep winning and Metro to lose.

P.S. UNK beat Ft. Hays St. tonight (2/3)
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Ft. Lewis (#4 in the region) lost last night. New rankings should be out shortly. They won't include Monday or Tuesdays games. I wonder how they account for number of games played? Is the SSI averaged for games played?
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          Ft. Lewis (#4 in the region) lost last night.  New rankings should be out shortly.  They won't include Monday or Tuesdays games.  I wonder how they account for number of games played?  Is the SSI averaged for games played?

Men

NORTH CENTRAL
          1. Metropolitan State         17-2
          2. Nebraska-Kearney         17-2
          3. South Dakota State   20-3
          4. Colorado Christian         16-3
          5. Fort Lewis    14-4
          6. North Dakota State          13-7
          7. Nebraska-Omaha    15-5
          8. Northern State    15-5
          9. St. Cloud State   13-6
          10. Minnesota State Mankato  15-5

Women

North Central Region
          1. Concordia-St. Paul        17-2
          2. North Dakota State        17-3
          3. North Dakota   17-3
          4. South Dakota State         16-4
          5. St. Cloud State   15-5
          6. South Dakota   18-5
          7. Nebraska-Kearney         16-3
          8. Winona State   14-6
          9. Fort Lewis   14-5
          10. Northern State   11-9

From what I understand SSI is points per game

Comment

As I figured, UNK's 2 wins over teams on the road, including Col. Christian a team with a winning pct > .750 gave them more than enough points to leap frog the Jacks into 2nd place. I guess our win over lowly Augie at home just doen't count for enough. We won't get much for a win in S.F. this weekend either.

With UNK's win over Ft. Hays yesterday and a game at Regis this week, they will likely move even further ahead in the next rankings. Metro gets Col. Christian and School of Mines at home this weekend, I bet they'll handle both of them and take a commanding lead in the rankings. I think we really need UNK and Metro to lose some games if we want to host the regional.

Nice to see NDSU ahead of UND. Sucks to see Concordia in fron but perhaps this helps explain the women's loss in St. Paul.

Comment

As I figured, UNK's 2 wins over teams on the road, including Col. Christian a team with a winning pct > .750 gave them more than enough points to leap frog the Jacks into 2nd place.  I guess our win over lowly Augie at home just doen't count for enough.   We won't get much for a win in S.F. this weekend either.

With UNK's win over Ft. Hays yesterday and a game at Regis this week, they will likely move even further ahead in the next rankings.  Metro gets Col. Christian and School of Mines at home this weekend, I bet they'll handle both of them and take a commanding lead in the rankings.  I think we really need UNK and Metro to lose some games if we want to host the regional.

Nice to see NDSU ahead of UND.  Sucks to see Concordia in fron but perhaps this helps explain the women's loss in St. Paul.

Concordia also beat the Bison women

Comment

Metro State is absolutely killing teams in the conference. I think the closest game has been 16 pts. This year is typical for them slow start and then turn it on down the stretch. They play Colorado Christian and then Kearney at the end of the year. I think we may have to win 6 of our last 7 and then win the conference tournament to have a prayer of hosting the regional. Matt Jones we need you!

Comment

Metro crushed Col. Christian on the road last night (big points towards their SSI). I think the only chance anyone has to beat them is UNK and that game is at Metro.

The only chance we have to host the region is to finish strong (win 6 out last 7) and have a strong showing in the NCC tournament. Metro is almost certain to remain #1 regardless of what we do (I don't think we can catch them based on the SSI), unless they fall apart (like USD always does). If we finish #2 behind Metro and win the NCC regular season or tournament, I bet Brookings hosts the regional. If UNK finish #2 ahead of us, then UNK or Metro will host. I can't imagine going to Denver to watch the regional with 200 other fans in the stands.

Comment

I agree I think it will be difficult to overtake either Metro or Kearney. We have some very tough games left. I think Metro will have a tough time hosting the regional based on their attendence history. That conference always has some upsets in their conference tournament. We need to win the conference and bring the conference finals to Brookings and then hope Kearney and Metro get knocked out in their conference tournament so we can host the regional..

Comment

If we finish #2 behind Metro and win the NCC regular season or tournament, I bet Brookings hosts the regional.  If UNK finish #2 ahead of us, then UNK or Metro will host.  I can't imagine going to Denver to watch the regional with 200 other fans in the stands.
                      I wouldn't count on that. Remember two years ago when Mesa State hosted the women's regional when UND was #2 in the region. There were maybe 200 people at those games. The NCAA puts less weight on ability to draw then they used to. In an ideal world the most central school that can bring in the most fans would host, but that probably won't happen with today's NCAA.

Comment

Catchem,

Is right.  Attendance is one factor (a big one for the NCAA) but also the cost for the other teams to travel to the games.  So physical location is another component to this equation.

So what SDSU needs to do to host is win, we also need more teams closer to us to get in to the regionals, and we need to outdraw those who might host the regionals in our place.

I am not so worried about Metro, they don't draw well, they would be on the far Southern and Western edge of the Regionals no matter who makes it, and they have been talking about dropping athletics.  UNK on the other hand is an issue.  I hope it works out for us.  Just keep winning baby!  

Go State!

Comment

If we don't host it Kearney would be ok. I would imagine we would get a large contingent to Kearney me included. They draw very well in fact had over 5,000 at the Metro State game.

Comment

I'm not counting on anything, but I know we hosted the regional in 96-97 when Ft. Hays was the #1 team in the nation.

In 01-02 when UNK was ranked ahead of us in the nation and the region (they were #1 and we were #2), they lost a game in late Feb. to Metro the championship game of their conference tournament to Ft. Lewis. We won the NCC regular season and conference tournament and SDSU was awarded the #1 seed and hosted the region. I won't talk about the end results.

My point is, we will likely finish behind Metro in the regional rankings. Therefore, we must finish #2, win the NCC or tie for 1st, and win the conference tournament. If Metro loses late in the season to UNK and drops a game in the RMAC tourney (or vice versa if UNK moaves to #1 in the region) then, I think we have a good chance to snag the #1 seed and host. I really think we can do it. This team is that good, especially with the prospect of Jones returning.

Comment

I agree there is a precedent for the above to happen. I wonder if the DII powers will do us any favors though with our departure imminent.

Comment

IF we can get Jones back-look out, we may be able to go deep in the playoffs without him, but going to UNK for the regionals would'nt be nearly as scary if Mr. Jones was back playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X