X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GDT: SDSU vs ORU

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    But one of the best atmospheres.
    We have better fans than all in basketball, but still could be better. Not standing up and cheering after great plays is sad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Re: GDT: SDSU vs ORU

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      We have better fans than all in basketball, but still could be better. Not standing up and cheering after great plays is sad!

No argument from me. A renovated Frost will only expand our fan base IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        No matter how many tickets are sold, 3000 is the number of people who can actually see the whole game in Frost Arena. That's our capacity right now, IMO.

People aren't going to pay $20 for obstructed views, and we don't have the ability to charge appropriately. Need to renovate Frost badly, and the renovations need to be MUCH better than the "improvements" made in the last 20 years.
        Frost is to the point where Coughlin-Alumni was a few years ago. Coughlin-Alumni "could" fit 17,000 people for a game, but about 4,000 of them would have a sub-par game experience.

I'd say a little less than 4,000 is the capacity for Frost in which everyone in attendance can have a decent game experience. The renovations can't come soon enough and these improvements better not involve whoever was responsible for the last round of "upgrades".

I'm of the opinion that having the appropriate number of fans for a venue is better than squeezing extra in to make a quick buck, because there's a good chance that instead of gaining a fan for life, you'll end up losing them for life (or the life of the venue).
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

A renovated Frost should include a better seating position for our students. Our alumni will never bring the type of energy students can bring to games.

Comment

A renovated Frost should include a better seating position for our students. Our alumni will never bring the type of energy students can bring to games.

They need to lower them to the court. Having the up like 8 feet in the air is bad. They should be like it was years ago in the D 2 days and have plan out bleachers that start at the court level. Or close too it. And go back to the hanging baskets. for some reason I love those.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

That sounds good, but is not the seating at the ends kinda good? Also, it seems the ends are common for many facilities. The Barn at the U of M do not even have seats. It is standing room only at one end. I was a bit disappointed when they took the old bleachers out for general admission.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I completely agree. They need one allege section. Even if it is at the end of the court. The atmosphere sucks compared to before.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

My take:

Although I agree with the student energy statement, I think the baseline sections are perfect for the students.

The students have better seats than the majority of alumni will ever have for a game at Frost. They are closer to the court than they were behind the benches, and at pretty much the same height. The cheer and dance teams are right in front of them without blocking their view of the court. The student turnout and energy is very good.

I also really like the fact that our student section setup makes it difficult to rush the court. IMO, the only bad thing about the current student setup is the fact that it makes sightlines absolutely horrible in the upper general admission section.

In short, Frost Arena has real problems, and student seating isn't one of them.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    My take:

Although I agree with the student energy statement, I think the baseline sections are perfect for the students.

The students have better seats than the majority of alumni will ever have for a game at Frost. They are closer to the court than they were behind the benches, and at pretty much the same height. The cheer and dance teams are right in front of them without blocking their view of the court. The student turnout and energy is very good.

I also really like the fact that our student section setup makes it difficult to rush the court. IMO, the only bad thing about the current student setup is the fact that it makes sightlines absolutely horrible in the upper general admission section.

In short, Frost Arena has real problems, and student seating isn't one of them.
                    Except that I agree with earlier poster that they should all be in one section, no matter where that section is. Pick one baseline and create a nice student section there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                      Except that I agree with earlier poster that they should all be in one section, no matter where that section is. Pick one baseline and create a nice student section there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                      Put them on the guest side.

Comment

My question is, do the students like the current seating arrangement? 2 sections behind each basket. If so, leave them there. Would they rather have one section? Maybe they design it so you have a horseshoe behind and around one basket. I always liked being on the sideline and taking up the whole area, but that was long ago. I think the students should have first say where their seats are. They create the college atmosphere, I want them at the games in droves.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                          My question is, do the students like the current seating arrangement? 2 sections behind each basket. If so, leave them there. Would they rather have one section? Maybe they design it so you have a horseshoe behind and around one basket. I always liked being on the sideline and taking up the whole area, but that was long ago. I think the students should have first say where their seats are. They create the college atmosphere, I want them at the games in droves.
                          The students have done some cheering back and forth between the ends. I would assume the cheerleaders have facilitated this action. They do create some decent noise with the current seating. Also, the band near the opponents bench should be a positive for home court.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

As a student, I do like the split student sections. Iowa State has a similar set up too so it's not like it's an uncommon thing. Also really enjoy the back and forth cheers that come up during games, however that wasn't really the cheerleaders doing to start.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                              The students have done some cheering back and forth between the ends. I would assume the cheerleaders have facilitated this action. They do create some decent noise with the current seating. Also, the band near the opponents bench should be a positive for home court.
                              Another student, here, and a band member. I like the two sides because students will always be the biggest disturbance towards opponents, and they can more easily do that from behind the baskets. Perfect placement for free throws during both halves, the high position puts us right on top of the players so they can perfectly hear us, and the players will always have to see us when running down the court. Since I'm always in the Student Section I can't say how loud we can truly be from there, but it seems pretty good. Also, we are able to do some pretty unique cheers this way (SD-SU!) which are led by the Barnyard Cadets, not the spirit squad.
                              As far as the band goes, we love our position in Frost. We are part of the student section and look right over the opponents' bench. If you actually watch us while we play, we tend to point our instruments right at the huddle so the opponents have a more difficult time hearing anything but the band. When we don't play, we probably have a reputation in the Summit League for heckling the coaches more than anyone else. Nothing pleases us more than yelling, "Coach! Get behind the line!" It's not uncommon to have a player from the end of their bench look up at us wondering what is wrong with us. All in a good days work when we get noticed for all our hard work of yelling.
                              Rollin' in my 5.0
                              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                                Another student, here, and a band member. I like the two sides because students will always be the biggest disturbance towards opponents, and they can more easily do that from behind the baskets. Perfect placement for free throws during both halves, the high position puts us right on top of the players so they can perfectly hear us, and the players will always have to see us when running down the court. Since I'm always in the Student Section I can't say how loud we can truly be from there, but it seems pretty good. Also, we are able to do some pretty unique cheers this way (SD-SU!) which are led by the Barnyard Cadets, not the spirit squad.
                                As far as the band goes, we love our position in Frost. We are part of the student section and look right over the opponents' bench. If you actually watch us while we play, we tend to point our instruments right at the huddle so the opponents have a more difficult time hearing anything but the band. When we don't play, we probably have a reputation in the Summit League for heckling the coaches more than anyone else. Nothing pleases us more than yelling, "Coach! Get behind the line!" It's not uncommon to have a player from the end of their bench look up at us wondering what is wrong with us. All in a good days work when we get noticed for all our hard work of yelling.
                                Yeah what is wrong with you? Just joking. I never was in band but was a student once. Long time ago. Carry on. Its good to get some student input.

Comment

Working...
                                X