X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT:SDSU vs. Denver

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    Final. 68-59 Jacks.

Denver's style of play gives a bad name to basketball, but we were able to fight through a rough shooting night. Glad this was Marshall's first game back to get his feet wet.
    Agreed. You have to wonder if Denver boosters can be happy with that approach to the game. I think it's fair to say that Denver will NEVER have a shot at a Summit League title playing sub-par athletes and a gimmicky offense/defensive scheme. I don't have a strong opinion about Denver's coach, but I can say that it appears very unlikely that Denver will ever compete for a Summit title with that Princeton offense. They'll win a few games they should lose, but will they ever be able to sustain a run for the league title against a pretty bruising schedule and in particular vs. the Dakota teams, ORU and even an offensive (albeit terrible defensive) team like Omaha? Doubtful.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      Final. 68-59 Jacks.

Denver's style of play gives a bad name to basketball, but we were able to fight through a rough shooting night. Glad this was Marshall's first game back to get his feet wet.
      Yes, this looked just like most games against Denver over the past few years. In addition to that awful pace, they play some good defense. They specialize in taking away transition points and do a good job of it. They will not be easy to beat in Denver.

Denver goes on to play NDSU next, a game that no one should be forced to watch. The NDSU three-man weave against the Denver stall. Fun.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Agreed. You have to wonder if Denver boosters can be happy with that approach to the game. I think it's fair to say that Denver will NEVER have a shot at a Summit League title playing sub-par athletes and a gimmicky offense/defensive scheme. I don't have a strong opinion about Denver's coach, but I can say that it appears very unlikely that Denver will ever compete for a Summit title with that Princeton offense. They'll win a few games they should lose, but will they ever be able to sustain a run for the league title? Doubtful.
        As young as they are, I think they will get better. Maybe they are just treading water until the team matures
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          Yes, this looked just like most games against Denver over the past few years. In addition to that awful pace, they play some good defense. They specialize in taking away transition points and do a good job of it. They will not be easy to beat in Denver.

Denver goes on to play NDSU next, a game that no one should be forced to watch. The NDSU three-man weave against the Denver stall. Fun.
          Oh my God that game will be brutal.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            Agreed. You have to wonder if Denver boosters can be happy with that approach to the game. I think it's fair to say that Denver will NEVER have a shot at a Summit League title playing sub-par athletes and a gimmicky offense/defensive scheme. I don't have a strong opinion about Denver's coach, but I can say that it appears very unlikely that Denver will ever compete for a Summit title with that Princeton offense. They'll win a few games they should lose, but will they ever be able to sustain a run for the league title against a pretty bruising schedule and in particular vs. the Dakota teams, ORU and even an offensive (albeit terrible defensive) team like Omaha? Doubtful.
            I will give them credit for several back door buckets that they should not have gotten. How that happens is a problem for Coach Nagy to figure out, but there were several times the guy under the bucket was all alone. How come? Perhaps double teaming someone who does not or not even near the ball?
            If I were a Denver fan I would not be too happy with the Princeton style of offense.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
              Our spacing on offense is less than good.
              I thought they were trying too hard to make something happen on the perimeter. With as effective as he was when he got the ball, Theisen didn't get nearly enough touches down low. Made 4-5 shots with 3 assists and he and Daum had both of their posts in foul trouble all night. The team didn't seem to play with much energy, which was no doubt at least partially due to Denver's pace of play.

Comment

Scratched out a win. Shaky, but 1-0. Move on!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Scratched out a win. Shaky, but 1-0. Move on!
                  I don't think in the Summit there will be any gimme games. Scratch away all the way to SF.

Comment

Denver Basketball is ugly to watch. They hope to stay close and hope teams get nervous/anxious against it.

They played alot of young guys. Could be tough in a year.

That matchup zone is a fricking nightmare and they run it well.

It's not fun to watch, but it IS effective. They absolutely can win and give everyone fits, because they play excellent defense, and no one else plays that style.

I have to think that with their recruiting base/area, this is the kind of player they can get. CU, CState, and N. Col. all in the area.

Comment

First team to 40 wins.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Pretty sure this game will violate some sort of treaty established in the Geneva Convention.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Would have commented earlier but I just woke up from being put to sleep by the DU offense. Wow, that is a boring brand of basketball. Still in a fog!

I will give them credit for being disciplined and being able to move the ball around. What I don't get is moving the ball for the sake of moving the ball while passing up 2-3 decent shots per possession just to take whatever they are lucky to get in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. It does take their opponent out of any kind of rhythm but they can't ever find one themselves. A total head scratcher! It has to be unbelievably to get quality recruits in to play in that system.

It wasn't our best but their style makes that tough. 1-0 in Summit play and turn the page!!!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                            Denver Basketball is ugly to watch. They hope to stay close and hope teams get nervous/anxious against it.

They played alot of young guys. Could be tough in a year.

That matchup zone is a fricking nightmare and they run it well.

It's not fun to watch, but it IS effective. They absolutely can win and give everyone fits, because they play excellent defense, and no one else plays that style.

I have to think that with their recruiting base/area, this is the kind of player they can get. CU, CState, and N. Col. all in the area.
                            What kid gets fired up about playing in that system? I agree 100% with their defense. However, they always struggle with rebounds and turn the ball over a bunch because of all of the passing. Tough to win when you do those things.

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X