Injury Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury Updates

Any updated time line on Marshall and Flatten?

Re: GDT: SDSU @ FGCU

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    On the radio pre-game before the Texas Tech game, Nagy said the goal for Marshall was still Jan.1st and that Flatten would be longer.

Comment

Re: GDT: SDSU @ FGCU

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      The coach keeps saying the team hopes to have Marshall back by conference time. The first conference game is Jan. 1. Flatten's status sounds a little more uncertain.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Re: Injury Updates

When the season started, wasn't Flatten's injury initially reported as something like a 4 week injury?
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

From the moment of Flatten's injury, I was under the impression it was season ending. And now that makes even more sense, you apply for a medical redshirt and see if you can get the 6th year.
          Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldCountryJack View Post
            From the moment of Flatten's injury, I was under the impression it was season ending. And now that makes even more sense, you apply for a medical redshirt and see if you can get the 6th year.
            He can't get a medical redshirt without losing TWO seasons due to injury. A regular freshman redshirt season does not count. I may be wrong but I think this is his only season he's been hurt.

Comment

Wasn't Skyler hurt his freshman year which necessitated the red shirt? I just remember him being out of practices etc early but maybe not because of a season injury.
              Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldCountryJack View Post
                Wasn't Skyler hurt his freshman year which necessitated the red shirt? I just remember him being out of practices etc early but maybe not because of a season injury.
                I don't think so, but I'm not 100% on it either. We've discussed this a couple times in other threads and the NCAA reviews medical records to approve a 6th year of eligibility so it's not something that can be faked.

Comment

Medical Redshirt - being able to redshirt a season due to injury.
                  Medical Hardship - being granted a 6th season of eligibility due to losing 2 seasons to injury.

If a player has not yet redshirted, and in the current season has played in less than 1/3 of the season and then suffers a season ending injury, they will be eligible for a medical redshirt that season. Meaning since they got hurt early in the year, has not yet used a redshirt season, they can now redshirt this season because it was basically wasted due to injury.

If a player has missed 2 years due to injury, they can file a petition to the NCAA asking for a 6th year of eligibility. It is a very long process and often times you will not know if you are approved or not until right before the start of that 6th academic year. Which leads to several players moving on with life rather than waiting around for a long amount of time to find out if they can return to college and compete for a 6th year or not.

If a player was most likely going to redshirt their initial year on campus since they are a freshman (more common in football), but they were also injured coming into the season or got severely injured in practice, they could count that as year one missed due to injury, which also used up their one and only redshirt. If in year 2-5, the player also got injured and missed the season, they don't have a redshirt to burn because they already used it, they have now missed 2 years due to injury. At that point, they could file a petition with the NCAA after their 5th year of eligibility.

It's not something that commonly happens in basketball, but it can. Look at Boever. It has happened a few more times over the years with our football team, Ludeman, Sheehan. There have also been players that have not applied for the 6th year even though there was a decent chance they'd get it. Whether it was due to graduating and having a job offer or just having nothing left in their body to give to the sport after 5 years.

Comment

Anyone know if Jack Bittle has been able to practice since missing the Weber game?
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      Anyone know if Jack Bittle has been able to practice since missing the Weber game?
                      Nope, but i heard he's gonna miss some substantial time. Maybe 3 wks.

Comment

What is Jake's injury?
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                          What is Jake's injury?
                          Not a good way to go into conference, so he doesn't return until approximately 1/18, that's 5 conference games? What about Marshall, still shooting for Jan 1st?

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogs53 View Post
                            Not a good way to go into conference, so he doesn't return until approximately 1/18, that's 5 conference games? What about Marshall, still shooting for Jan 1st?
                            He was injured around the 20th or 21st, so if it would be 3 weeks, that would bring him back around Jan. 10th. Probably a good thing that 3 of the first 4 conference games are in Frost.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              He was injured around the 20th or 21st, so if it would be 3 weeks, that would bring him back around Jan. 10th. Probably a good thing that 3 of the first 4 conference games are in Frost.
                              Would be nice to have all 3 back by the 16th when we go to Fargo. Thats the start of a 3 game trip to Fargo, Tulsa and Vermillion. I see MTSU has an RPI of 69, we are 53. Plenty of tickets left for tommorrow. Also a lot left for the USD pentagon game on Monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X