SLT Championship: Jackrabbits vs. The Bizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLT Championship: Jackrabbits vs. The Bizon

I'll admit it, last night sucked. If there is anyone I hate losing to (besides USD), it's the Bison. But at the same time, what's done is done and now this team awaits its pairing in the NIT.

I know, NIT stands for "Not In Tournament"... but it's also a big deal to get in and there are a lot of good teams that will be playing. Besides, who's to say we won't be like the women last year and make a huge run in the tournament? I don't know about you, but finishing the season at Madison Square Garden would be pretty cool for our boys.

Am I sore that we didn't make the dance? You bet. But what's done is done and there's a helluva lot of basketball left for the Jackrabbits!
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Hats off to the Jackrabbits for a great season of basketball. Always have respected your guys basketball teams, and I think it's awesome how both institutions push the conferences and each other to be better. I can only see things going better for both universities if we keep this up.

Go kick ass in the NIT, we've already overachieved way higher than I thought we would this year...so I expect us to fight hard but probably drop. Win the whole damn NIT, alright?
      2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

Many others have said it and I echo it. That was as painful of a loss as I can remember. Like many I had to give it some time before making any comment.

First, a tip of the cap to the Bison. They showed up and played one hell of a game and Lawrance Alexander was their assassin.

I read through the post game comments on here and they run the gamut from questioning everything to its just a game and they are all probably fairly accurate. Maybe its time we take a step back and remember that as mush as we care as fans there isn't anyone with more invested into the team than the players and coaches. They gave it their best effort and we are all disappointed we didn't get to cut the nets down. Nobody is hurting more than those in the locker room.

If you haven't had a chance to see the post-game press conference I'd encourage each and every one of you to take the 10 minutes to watch it. You can see it on www.gojacks.com. I couldn't be more proud of our team and our staff. Cody Larson answered a lot of questions and he did it with a lot of though and class. Sure, he was controversial when we gave him a shot but he has been nothing short of an exemplary Jackrabbit. A straight A student and a warrior on the court. To hear him talk of his love for "his brothers" and for SDSU is special. Then Coach Nagy speaks and does so with an incredible amount of class and focus on what is important in life. We are so fortunate to have a man of that quality leading our program.

Finally, just a real sense of pride in how Jacks fans packed into the Denny. That was incredible and not at all a surprise. The atmosphere all weekend was fantastic. It was off the hook last night. I had a chance to talk with Commisioner Douple and he couldn't have been more pleased with how well the tournament was run and the way the fans supported it. That kind of event was hard to even dream of 10 years ago and unless we switch conferences at some point, now it is hard to imagine a March without the Summit Tournament in Sioux Falls. Congrats to all who work so hard to put the event on for the teams and the fans.

There is more ball to be played by these guys. My sincere hope is that we can reward these guys with home game in the NIT but that will be hard. In all likelihood we will be on the road. Let's hope I'm wrong on that.

As tough as last night was it is always a great day to wake up a Jackrabbit!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          There is more ball to be played by these guys. My sincere hope is that we can reward these guys with home game in the NIT but that will be hard. In all likelihood we will be on the road. Let's hope I'm wrong on that.

As tough as last night was it is always a great day to wake up a Jackrabbit!

SUPERBUNNY
          Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe NIT host sites are determined by seed.

I remember a couple years ago Kentucky had to go on the road as a 1 seed to play Robert Morris (I believe) and got beat. They had some conflict with their gym that prevented them from hosting.

Unfortunately, we are likely a 7 or 8 seed so hosting most likely isn't in the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe NIT host sites are determined by seed.

I remember a couple years ago Kentucky had to go on the road as a 1 seed to play Robert Morris (I believe) and got beat. They had some conflict with their gym that prevented them from hosting.

Unfortunately, we are likely a 7 or 8 seed so hosting most likely isn't in the cards.
            NIT final four is in Madison Square Garden. Early rounds are determined by bids. I spoke with a member of the athletic department and was told bids had already been submitted. Was also told that the likelihood of hosting in the men's NIT was slim. Most of the hosts are teams for the major conferences that do not recieve at large NCAA bids. Time to be road warriors. #OWNTHEMOMENT

Comment

Does the men's NIT look to keep regional matchups like women or do they seed the tourney and go forward?
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                Does the men's NIT look to keep regional matchups like women or do they seed the tourney and go forward?
                It is seeded....Here is some NITology if you want to see where SDSU stands...

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2015/03/ni...ology-march-9/

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                  NIT final four is in Madison Square Garden. Early rounds are determined by bids. I spoke with a member of the athletic department and was told bids had already been submitted. Was also told that the likelihood of hosting in the men's NIT was slim. Most of the hosts are teams for the major conferences that do not recieve at large NCAA bids. Time to be road warriors. #OWNTHEMOMENT

according to this, the higher seed team gets the opportunity to host.
                  http://www.ncaa.com/championships/ba...postseason-nit

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                    Yes. They get the opportunity to host. That's when the logistics kick in and the larger schools bid more and that is why SDSU will not host. They will probably be a lower seed than say a 8th place Big ten team. I would love to have games at Frost, but I think I have a better chance of being the single powerball winner.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                      Yes. They get the opportunity to host. That's when the logistics kick in and the larger schools bid more and that is why SDSU will not host. They will probably be a lower seed than say a 8th place Big ten team. I would love to have games at Frost, but I think I have a better chance of being the single powerball winner.
                      I guess i dont read that as anything to do with bids. The high seed hosts if they can. Or am i reading it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                        To add to that,the first four out of the NCAA tournament get the top seeds in the NIT. http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...t-field-32-top

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                          Regarding the ref'ing....I thought it was fine. It drives me absolutely up a wall that people boo and piss and moan about every. single. call.

Maybe I'm too objective.

If anything, I was surprised Larson didn't get warned/t'd up for batting the ball after at least two of his dunks.

To be fair though, I did yell initially when Larson took the elbow and got a foul only on him. Was fine with it after Werner got one as well.
                          I thought the refs did a decent job, too.

It's just interesting to see how different refs make different calls on similar plays.

I know this is comparing MBB to WBB but AJ got warned for leaving the coaching box the 1st time he did that but NDSU's MBB coach did that a couple of times and those refs didn't say anything. AJ said something like, " I don't care about you. I'm yelling at (one of his players)" and the ref said, "I don't care, you can't do that." That ref laid down the law. I think she warned Amy(USD's coach) about 5 minutes into two of her games, too.

The first time NDSU's coach left the box, he was mad about a non-call against SDSU. It was on the play when NDSU's #34 fouled Cody (not called) and then SDSU got away with one. If I was coaching, I might have let it go because it wouldn't of even made it to that point if they called the first call(against my team). Later, NDSU's bench was saying call the first one and I thought about that play again.
                          I guess we know why I'm not coaching. I might think if I got a call, I might let off a little but in reality every coach wants ever call their way.

This might just be an isolated incident but I thought it was interesting.

In the end, a lot of it came down to shooting. When we lost to USD; Marshall, Parks and Reed were combined 6-30 from the floor. They were a little better than that in this game(8-32) but not much. If they shoot anything close to what they did the night before, we win. You can't have three starters shooting 20% from the floor unless you are as deep as SDSU's women but the mens team rely more on their starters and they were off together.

Comment

Scared money don't make no money
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                            X