2016 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 Recruits

Looks like Loudon Love-Vollbrecht at 6'8 285 not surprisingly has football offers too. UNI offered last month. Maybe Stig needs to go on next recruiting trip with Nagy to Ill.

Comment

Jacks have 5 senior guards graduating in 2016. Not had a lot of success in the 2016 class yet as all offers have accepted at other schools. Will be interesting to see who plan B is?

Comment

A couple of things, with basketball I tend not to worry as much like I would football, you are looking for 3-5 scholarship players per class tops in most years.

2nd, its a fairly large team, red-shirted a player last year, had a handful of freshman and red-shirt freshman as well, also have a few freshman coming in. Its not like its 2007 and we are coming off of a year where we suited up 7 players.

3rd. Its somewhat early, I know early signing period, but in the past 5 years transfers have changed the way the game has been played BIG TIME. And that is stuff that generally isn't reported until right up until a decision is made, as fall-camps get started that is when players start doing the background work if they feel they are thinking about transferring. JuCo's- recruiting on many of them pick up after the 1st semester, and yeah late signings, SDSU has had a ton of success in late signings (arguably better than early signings)

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Jacks have 5 senior guards graduating in 2016. Not had a lot of success in the 2016 class yet as all offers have accepted at other schools. Will be interesting to see who plan B is?
          Especially this year,we really have no idea who plan A,B or C might be. We went from a beat writer who seemed to thrive on digging up recruiting news to one who has only been full-time for 6 weeks and has said he doesn't really get into recruiting like TV did. I'm not ripping Zimmer for that - he has not had a chance to develop relationships with Div.I sources/contacts like his predecessor had done over a period of many years. When the topic of recruiting came up in the live chat yesterday Matt said he was going to practice today and would ask Nagy about where things stand. At this time of year,coaches will not/cannot say who they are recruiting. So we may have to wait and see what happens in a month - if I remember correctly,we really didn't know about the 2 guards we signed last spring until shortly before it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            A couple of things, with basketball I tend not to worry as much like I would football, you are looking for 3-5 scholarship players per class tops in most years.

2nd, its a fairly large team, red-shirted a player last year, had a handful of freshman and red-shirt freshman as well, also have a few freshman coming in. Its not like its 2007 and we are coming off of a year where we suited up 7 players.

3rd. Its somewhat early, I know early signing period, but in the past 5 years transfers have changed the way the game has been played BIG TIME. And that is stuff that generally isn't reported until right up until a decision is made, as fall-camps get started that is when players start doing the background work if they feel they are thinking about transferring. JuCo's- recruiting on many of them pick up after the 1st semester, and yeah late signings, SDSU has had a ton of success in late signings (arguably better than early signings)
            The JUCO angle makes sense. We have two freshmen guards who more than likely will redshirt. Its hard to imagine Nagy turning over the reigns a year from now to two redshirt freshmen who have no game experience. You would think that with the success that Deondre Parks has had here and that he is the consensus preseason Summit POY might help in attracting a JUCO. And we have one very good player currently on the roster who could play guard next year. Reed Tellinghuisen is a natural 2/3 who is playing PF only because of the 3 outstanding senior guards/wings that we have. You would think he moves outside next season

Comment

Of the top-3 players on last year's team, none were traditional "recruits". Hopefully they are working on another guy from a similar source.

Comment

I am not too worried. What ever Nagy has been doing seems to be working. Transfers or Jucos or High schoolers. He is getting guys and playing pretty darn good.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Another development on the "not at all surprising front." Steffon Mitchell has trimmed his list down to Utah State, Central Michigan, and Wichita State. Jacks no longer in the running for his services.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

To bad our best recruiter left a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                      To bad our best recruiter left a couple years ago.
                      It would appear we have brought some sturdy recruits in the past couple of years. The MBB is also the preseason favorite in 2015-16 Summit. It would appear our freshmen for this year appear to be quality recruits who may be contributing right away. It might be a bit early to dismiss the current staff as being lost. It is disappointing to see some people end up wearing red though.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        It would appear we have brought some sturdy recruits in the past couple of years. The MBB is also the preseason favorite in 2015-16 Summit. It would appear our freshmen for this year appear to be quality recruits who may be contributing right away. It might be a bit early to dismiss the current staff as being lost. It is disappointing to see some people end up wearing red though.
                        Recruits are very hit and miss some work out some don't. But there also is a big ripple effect also. How would this team look if we had not had Nate (who was not recruited by our staff)? Cody L fell in our lap, Jake B drove down to the tourney and recruited himself, George M is here because of success Nate achieved and we probably don't get Deondre P if we didn't have the rest. This years jr class (what's left of it) is not so much. Yes this years team I am excited for but are we living off the past? OldHare you are correct .......Losing out to red stings. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                          Recruits are very hit and miss some work out some don't. But there also is a big ripple effect also. How would this team look if we had not had Nate (who was not recruited by our staff)? Cody L fell in our lap, Jake B drove down to the tourney and recruited himself, George M is here because of success Nate achieved and we probably don't get Deondre P if we didn't have the rest. This years jr class (what's left of it) is not so much. Yes this years team I am excited for but are we living off the past? OldHare you are correct .......Losing out to red stings. Just a thought.
                          As the saying goes " If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas". Assistant coaches are important in recruiting but if recruits aren't comfortable with the head coach (who seals the deal) they are not going to commit. And I would like to think that our assistant coach with a Wisconsin connection just might have had something to do with George Marshall being here and with signing the two well-regarded freshmen guards from the Chicago area (which long has been a strong Wisconsin recruiting area.) The un-named former assistant apparently no longer wanted to be here,so I'm not going to shed any tears because he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            As the saying goes " If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas". Assistant coaches are important in recruiting but if recruits aren't comfortable with the head coach (who seals the deal) they are not going to commit. And I would like to think that our assistant coach with a Wisconsin connection just might have had something to do with George Marshall being here and with signing the two well-regarded freshmen guards from the Chicago area (which long has been a strong Wisconsin recruiting area.) The un-named former assistant apparently no longer wanted to be here,so I'm not going to shed any tears because he's gone.
                            Amen well said.

Comment

Didn't know I was gonna strike a nerve but that's ok. Austin Hansen is his name but I don't remember saying I was crying over the deal.

Comment

There is no denying that Coach Hansen landed the best recruit/player in school history, but beyond that he hasn't landed any of the other big names, so calling him our best recruiter is a stretch. That honor goes to Coach Klink as any kid out of Iowa, along with Parks and Bittle were his targets. He also was the key guy in Griff Callahan transferring to SDSU. Hansen was responsible for Minnesota and Wisconsin recruiting and beyond Nate, we had little success there. Enter Coach Krabbenhoft, who has already made a big impact on our program recruiting wise with George Marshall and now Coach Nagy and Co. are popping up all over Twin Cities and Wisconsin Gyms according to Twitter. As someone pointed out earlier we were spoiled by Terry V's dedication to covering our program and getting insight on recruiting. My guess is that we have several scholarship offers that just aren't documented on Verbalcommits.com or rivals.

Comment

Working...
                                X