• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruits

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    Seems like they are taking the easy route and going with what they know

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Wright State loses 5 of their top 6 top scorers from this year's team. They have a lot of holes to fill. Going to be some pressure on Nagy to get it done. They just fired a 22-game winning coach and are paying Nagy twice what the previous coach was getting. My guess is they are wanting some results quickly.

So, not shocking that they are going after what they know from recruiting here as well as what they can do in their area. Wish them luck. Not something I'd want to do without my top recruiter.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      SDSU ought to be able to beat Wright State out in most head-to-head recruiting battles. Other than some nearby cities and a well-paid head coach, Wright State doesn't have much going for it.
      Unless a player really falls in love with the Wright State coaching staff, we should have a clear advantage for kids in the adjacent states (MN, IA, NE). In other areas we recruit, Coach Otz should give us an advantage in Wisconsin; Illinois will probably be a wash against Wright State (therefore the school's coaching staff will have a lot to do with a recruits decision).

The further a kid is from South Dakota, the more we have to combat the "middle of no-where" stigma, but I think it's really not that difficult if you can convince a kid to visit South Dakota State. I've been on enough campuses to realize we have a lot to offer in this regard (still one of my favorites) and Brookings complements college life very well, despite the narrative that folks up North like to push.

I'd also gather that the atmosphere and (actual) attendance in Frost trumps that at the Nutter Center.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Matt Chastain verbals to Loyola (IL). I'm not sure if the offer was still standing after the regime change or not.
        "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
          Matt Chastain verbals to Loyola (IL). I'm not sure if the offer was still standing after the regime change or not.
          I like this kid's game, but I figured we were out on him after the coaching change, whether it had been us no longer recruiting him or us getting lost in the shuffle (he had a ton of late offers along with ours, so there was zero time to build a relationship).
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            SDSU ought to be able to beat Wright State out in most head-to-head recruiting battles. Other than some nearby cities and a well-paid head coach, Wright State doesn't have much going for it.
            WSU appears to have much nicer facilities. A larger,nicer arena. They have some very nice practice facilities. They also have a larger fan following and a bigger budget.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              Seems like they are taking the easy route and going with what they know

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
              As opposed to taking a more difficult route and doing what they don't know?

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                As opposed to taking a more difficult route and doing what they don't know?
                I should have further quantified, It is alot less legwork to go with the "known commodity" that you have already been recruiting then to try and pick up perhaps where the other staff left off. That wasn't a condemnation but an observation. Obviously they play at the same level, and nagy's game will not have changed so these players are a no brainer for them after all whatever relationship they developed will still be there. Going forward they might recruit a different area geographically. I suppose that is obvious and my post was superfluous, and I guess in that case I apologize. (although it may have not been the most pointless post in SDSUfans.com history, but perhaps that depends on perspective)

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                  WSU appears to have much nicer facilities. A larger,nicer arena. They have some very nice practice facilities. They also have a larger fan following and a bigger budget.
                  Just by my estimation:

Arena:
                  Larger? Yes.
                  Nicer? Debatable. (I don't believe many recruits are going to take in consideration some of Frost's sight line issues)
                  Atmosphere: SDSU. (considering we do actual attendance, which means we likely have more people in our 6k area as opposed to their 10k)

Facilities:
                  Practice area: Definitely Wright State, though hopefully that is alleviated at SDSU soon.

Other:
                  Larger budget? Wright State, but if that doesn't transfer to player benefit (i.e. I doubt WSU has a private plane for their players), it really won't factor into a recruit's decision.

Fan Support? SDSU has the support of a state as opposed to WSU not even being top dog in their own city, so I'd say SDSU.

In conclusion:

Neither school really has an insurmountable advantage when it comes to tangible recruiting tools, so it'll likely come down to the coaches and other factors important to recruits (location, academics, etc...) if it comes down to a MBB recruit choosing between SDSU and WSU.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

I think Wright State averages about 5K per game. Much closer in support to Dayton than IUPUI *gag" is to Butler.
                    Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 04-25-2016, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                      I think Wright State averages about 5K per game. Much closer in support to Dayton than IUPUI *gag" is to Butler.
                      This has been discussed a lot on this board, but SDSU reports actual attendance as opposed to most other college athletic programs, who report paid attendance.

I've been debating over the years whether or not our athletic department is doing ourselves a disservice by sticking to this standard, but I have settled on feeling good about the way we handle it.

This is mainly because I think it's the more honest way to do things, especially when it comes to dealing with the corporate sponsors of our athletic program (that's one of the reason schools like to inflate the numbers). I think it builds a better relationship with the businesses that support Jackrabbit athletics. Also, the paid attendance can vary a little to a lot from the actual numbers based on how the school chooses to define the word "paid". It can be as simple as just counting season ticket holders who aren't in attendance to extreme cases of counting the entire designated student section and allotting sponsors tons of tickets that will never be used.

And just so we're clear, I'm not trying to tear down Wright State, just bringing light to the practice in general and how attendance figures can be somewhat misleading to very misleading.

I'm not saying Wright State is an ORU or a Youngstown (both notorious for pulling attendance numbers out of their arses), but here is their game against Detroit which reported as 3,733 people in attendance:

- Steven Wright

Comment

If that's "3,700" we are averaging well over 4,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          If that's "3,700" we are averaging well over 4,000.
                          SDSU is not doing too good either on home attendance. The last time I looked it was roughly 2800 and that's with an NCAA appearance.

Meanwhile Nutter Center seats 11500 and is also used for concerts and events and is a campus asset not owned by a municiplity. It was built in 1990. Their average attendance with no NCAA appearance is 4355 which is much better than SDSU, by at least 1500 per game. Does the photo look like 3700 people? I think it does, they are scattered over a lot of area. If these few stats influence a recruit player from Minnesota as an example or some guy from Kimball SD or NE, then we got real problems. I don't think we have those problems. Wright State has been D1 since the 1980's and has a few years of experience than what we do. In 40 years, I would hope we are further down the road. Two or three years from now, the good recruits in our area will have forgotten Coach Nagy. In the next couple of years there is a risk that he might get some recruits from this area, but with TJ calling the shots, I would hope he puts up a fight.

http://www.wsuraiders.com/fls/27000/...ts/Overall.pdf
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 04-26-2016, 07:12 AM.

Comment

I might add that I lived in the Dayton area in the 1970's and it is a long drive to Brookings and other points in our area. If I recall correctly about 16 hour drive. Parents in our area are going to have to have a flexible work schedule to drive to Dayton or to fly will add up very quickly. If its about family, I think many will have a hard time turning down a USD or SDSU offer to go play in Fairborne, Ohio, just for Coach Nagy or Coach Cooley.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 04-26-2016, 07:47 AM.

Comment

CycloneNation fan forum alludes to some roster movement at ISU this week.... any our way?

Comment

Originally posted by Hip2daHop View Post
                                CycloneNation fan forum alludes to some roster movement at ISU this week.... any our way?
                                Jordan Ashton would be a grad transfer that is eligible immediately. And he's a guard, fwiw...
                                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                                X