2016 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruits

Traevon Jackson did not play for Wisconsin his senior year due to injury. Does he have another year of eligibility? It would be another Wisconsin connection which would fill in with the Big Ten story. He was not on the roster this year.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      Traevon Jackson did not play for Wisconsin his senior year due to injury. Does he have another year of eligibility? It would be another Wisconsin connection which would fill in with the Big Ten story. He was not on the roster this year.
      It looks like his 4 years may be gone with the injury after 17 games.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

He's with the Iowa Energy in the D-League...so he isn't an option.
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
          He's with the Iowa Energy in the D-League...so he isn't an option.
          That would certainly be a pretty big hurdle for the Jacks to overcome.
          Last edited by MrAugustana; 03-23-2016, 12:53 PM. Reason: forgot the word "big"

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
            That would certainly be a pretty hurdle for the Jacks to overcome.
            Yes restoring amateur status to play one year in Summit does not make any sense. But what do I know.

Comment

Just doing a quick check of Big Ten rosters there is really only one name that stands out. Mike Latulip out of Illinois. In is bio it said he red-shirted this year so that he could save one year of eligibility and transfer somewhere as a graduate student. He was only a walk on there and didn't play more than a couple minutes a season but her appear to be pretty good coming out of high school where he averaged 22 points and 4 assists as senior. he was selected 2nd and 3rd team all-state as a senior. Here is a link to his bio on the Illinois athletics page. http://www.fightingillini.com/roster...35&path=mbball

Comment

Great find Carolina!

Latulip may not be the type of hot prospect or even a George Marshall, but I could see a young man like that being a big contributor both on the court and in practice. Check out this story from a month ago.

He may end up being more of a Keaton Moffitt type player, but that would be very valuable to have next year. I believe Keaton would have been a full time starter next year if he had another year of eligibility. Latulip would add effort, work ethic, and I believe another coach on the court with his experience.

If it's not Latulip, I'd be interested to see who it would be that would be eligible to play next year. A graduate or someone who redshirted last year would be the only ones eligible from my understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                  Great find Carolina!

Latulip may not be the type of hot prospect or even a George Marshall, but I could see a young man like that being a big contributor both on the court and in practice. Check out this story from a month ago.

He may end up being more of a Keaton Moffitt type player, but that would be very valuable to have next year. I believe Keaton would have been a full time starter next year if he had another year of eligibility. Latulip would add effort, work ethic, and I believe another coach on the court with his experience.

If it's not Latulip, I'd be interested to see who it would be that would be eligible to play next year. A graduate or someone who redshirted last year would be the only ones eligible from my understanding.
                  I know Moffitt played hard for you guys and filled an important role and most people on here seem to adore him, but if you're looking for a transfer who can impact the team immediately, you need the aforementioend "hot prospect or even a George Marshall" more than a Moffitt-esque player. It would be a shame to let even a single year of Daum's career pass by with guards who can't be immediate difference-makers.

Unless I missed something, it appears Daum is the only freshman to make 1st Team All-Conference as far back as the 2008-09 season (which is as far back as I cared to dig in the archives), and one of only three underclassmen to be make the 1st Team since 2010-11 (sophomores Nate Wolters in 2010-11 and Taylor Braun in 2011-12 being the other two). Obviously a big part of that is simply which teams have good upperclassmen and whatnot--meaning maybe there weren't as many good upperclassmen this year as there have been in past years--but I don't know if I'd necessarily call this a "down year" for the Summit League by any means. I think Daum is just really good.

In terms of All-Conference teams (which, admittedly, is the only statistical base I'm working off of here) Daum seems to be somewhat of a rare talent for the Summit League and it would be a shame for his talents to be squandered as the result of a rebuilding year in the backcourt. For Jacks fans' sake, I'd hope Nagy and staff find a Marshall-esque talent or at least one of the young guards makes a pretty substantial jump over the summer. Of course, the transfer thing is easier said than done, but I would think SDSU should be an appealing landing spot for transfers, particularly with Nagy proving they can succeed in Brookings and the guards themselves recognizing they'd be paired with a big man of Daum's caliber right out of the gate.

Or maybe the younger guards are more ready than I realized and all my rambling is for naught. That is quite often the case. I just think if the best option anyone has come up with so far is a player comparable to Moffitt, the staff should aim slightly higher (sorry, sorry, I know you guys love Moffitt...just looking at this from an outsider's perspective).

Anyway, thanks for humoring me. I'm a little anxious about tonight's Augie game and needed to ramble a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                    I know Moffitt played hard for you guys and filled an important role and most people on here seem to adore him, but if you're looking for a transfer who can impact the team immediately, you need the aforementioend "hot prospect or even a George Marshall" more than a Moffitt-esque player. It would be a shame to let even a single year of Daum's career pass by with guards who can't be immediate difference-makers.

Unless I missed something, it appears Daum is the only freshman to make 1st Team All-Conference as far back as the 2008-09 season (which is as far back as I cared to dig in the archives), and one of only three underclassmen to be make the 1st Team since 2010-11 (sophomores Nate Wolters in 2010-11 and Taylor Braun in 2011-12 being the other two). Obviously a big part of that is simply which teams have good upperclassmen and whatnot--meaning maybe there weren't as many good upperclassmen this year as there have been in past years--but I don't know if I'd necessarily call this a "down year" for the Summit League by any means. I think Daum is just really good.

In terms of All-Conference teams (which, admittedly, is the only statistical base I'm working off of here) Daum seems to be somewhat of a rare talent for the Summit League and it would be a shame for his talents to be squandered as the result of a rebuilding year in the backcourt. For Jacks fans' sake, I'd hope Nagy and staff find a Marshall-esque talent or at least one of the young guards makes a pretty substantial jump over the summer. Of course, the transfer thing is easier said than done, but I would think SDSU should be an appealing landing spot for transfers, particularly with Nagy proving they can succeed in Brookings and the guards themselves recognizing they'd be paired with a big man of Daum's caliber right out of the gate.

Or maybe the younger guards are more ready than I realized and all my rambling is for naught. That is quite often the case. I just think if the best option anyone has come up with so far is a player comparable to Moffitt, the staff should aim slightly higher (sorry, sorry, I know you guys love Moffitt...just looking at this from an outsider's perspective).

Anyway, thanks for humoring me. I'm a little anxious about tonight's Augie game and needed to ramble a little bit.
                    Gentry could be one of those critical links next year. He may have been ready to play this year if the team was short on guards. I am not indicating there is not a greater need for more point guard talent, but I would not dismiss this young man's talent to contend for freshman of the year in 2016-17.

Comment

Gentry could be one of those critical links next year. He may have been ready to play this year if the team was short on guards. I am not indicating there is not a greater need for more point guard talent, but I would not dismiss this young man's talent to contend for freshman of the year in 2016-17.
                      I really think that Gentry will be that good next year, too. I just don't know what we have after him.
                      Can King play the PG spot? He can play the SG spot but he hasn't shown much of an outside shot, yet.
                      I don't think we will have much of a problem with the SF, PF and C spots. I know not many people want to be listed as a C but you could call the the 3, 4 and 5 spots. You could move Reed, or Lane down the the SF spot. Of course that depends on on what we get from Flatten and Dykman. I could see any of those 4 play the SF spot. It would be nice if Flatten and/or Dykman can play the SG spot.
                      We will have a team more like we did a couple of years ago when we had a 6'4" PG and not many players under that that played. We only have Gentry, Brown and King under 6'4" on the roster right now. I know we will get one or two more players under that but other then Gentry, I don't see many players that can play the PG spot.
                      Anyway, this has nothing to do with 2016 Recruits so I will leave it at that so we can get back on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                        Just doing a quick check of Big Ten rosters there is really only one name that stands out. Mike Latulip out of Illinois. In is bio it said he red-shirted this year so that he could save one year of eligibility and transfer somewhere as a graduate student. He was only a walk on there and didn't play more than a couple minutes a season but her appear to be pretty good coming out of high school where he averaged 22 points and 4 assists as senior. he was selected 2nd and 3rd team all-state as a senior. Here is a link to his bio on the Illinois athletics page. http://www.fightingillini.com/roster...35&path=mbball
                        I'm almost positive we were recruiting Latulip out of high school, so the coaches should be aware of him.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          I'm almost positive we were recruiting Latulip out of high school, so the coaches should be aware of him.
                          You are correct. I just looked back at the 2012 recruiting thread it says that we offered him coming out of high school, but he accepted a preferred walk-on spot at Illinois. This can only help us if we are in fact looking at him now. With Nagy having ties to that program and already recruiting and offering him a scholarship once, maybe there is still a little connection their.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            I really think that Gentry will be that good next year, too. I just don't know what we have after him.
                            Can King play the PG spot? He can play the SG spot but he hasn't shown much of an outside shot, yet.
                            I don't think we will have much of a problem with the SF, PF and C spots. I know not many people want to be listed as a C but you could call the the 3, 4 and 5 spots. You could move Reed, or Lane down the the SF spot. Of course that depends on on what we get from Flatten and Dykman. I could see any of those 4 play the SF spot. It would be nice if Flatten and/or Dykman can play the SG spot.
                            We will have a team more like we did a couple of years ago when we had a 6'4" PG and not many players under that that played. We only have Gentry, Brown and King under 6'4" on the roster right now. I know we will get one or two more players under that but other then Gentry, I don't see many players that can play the PG spot.
                            Anyway, this has nothing to do with 2016 Recruits so I will leave it at that so we can get back on topic.
                            The topic of Dykman's best position came up in Zimmer's chat yesterday. He said Nagy told him that he is a 4, and wasn't sure if he could even play the 3. Which seems odd since they have listed him as a guard all year in the programs.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              The topic of Dykman's best position came up in Zimmer's chat yesterday. He said Nagy told him that he is a 4, and wasn't sure if he could even play the 3. Which seems odd since they have listed him as a guard all year in the programs.
                              That's interesting because his athleticism is that of a 3 vertically, but maybe he doesn't have the lateral movement to guard the 3 or take a 3 off the dribble.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                                That's interesting because his athleticism is that of a 3 vertically, but maybe he doesn't have the lateral movement to guard the 3 or take a 3 off the dribble.
                                He looks like he has a pretty thick body, so he might not be able to guard on the perimeter.

Comment

Working...
                                X