• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northern State (Regionals)

Final Score: SDSU 99 - NSU 80. Jackrabbits move on! ;D

Comment

Outrebounded NSU 45-30 but too many turnovers, somewhere around 25 or 26. Need to handle the ball better as we can't count on shooting 55% from the field.

Attendance 1,500 pretty sad.

UNK vs USD (5:00 MST 7:00 CST)
      SDSU vs Metro (7:30 MST 8:30 CST)
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
        Does anybody know if Matt Hammer was recruited by us as well.  I find it hard to believe if he was that he would have left to play at Northern instead of in Brookings so he could be close to his family in Elkton.  We usually have a pretty good pull on those local kids that have grown up with jackrabbit basketball.  
        If I recall correctly (and my memory sometimes fails me), Matt Hammer was supposed to be "the man" in high school. I remember hearing of DI coaches looking at him as a junior and how he was headed for big-time basketball. Somewhere along the line SDSU took a quick look at him and politely passed. Seems like a good move. He may have a good career at Northern, but doubtful that he would have made an impact at SDSU. Good luck to NSU in the future. I hope they do get a chance to host a regional sometime in their careers.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by hoopla4u

If I recall correctly (and my memory sometimes fails me), Matt Hammer was supposed to be "the man" in high school. I remember hearing of DI coaches looking at him as a junior and how he was headed for big-time basketball. Somewhere along the line SDSU took a quick look at him and politely passed. Seems like a good move. He may have a good career at Northern, but doubtful that he would have made an impact at SDSU. Good luck to NSU in the future. I hope they do get a chance to host a regional sometime in their careers.

Go Jacks!
          Matt Hammer has been a topic of discussion in the past amongst the coffee clatches that I have sat in in Brookings. One scenario, I have heard and it can not be substantiated now, is that Matt kept mentioning his possible D1 offers to Nagy early on in the recruiting process. We know our coach(Nagy) and I can see this constant mention of D1 would wear thin with Coach Nagy. About that same time, Nagy started to notice Andy Kleinjan and there was persuit for recruiting Andy who had no D1 offers but was honored to be considered for a Jack Recruit.

Hammer would have been a good fit for the SDSU, but you really wonder how interested he was in being a Jack. When the D1 offers melted and they may have been no more than a generic letter from U of Minn or some similar institution, he shifted his interest to Northern.

I think Nagy would have made Hammer a better player than he is now, but if his interest is elsewhere, a good choice was made by Hammer in going to NSU.

Comment

I'm stunned...Argus has a story on the game...they are usually tucked into bed by 10:30 CT ("heck, just run it Monday, it's only SDSU..."

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle7.shtml

Anybody know who this Paul Willis guy is? Wonder if he's some Denver stringer that the Argus is using. I see he also did the USD story. A welcome and refreshing change from the usual Argus fare, if you ask me.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Congratulations to the Jackrabbits on a dominating win!! I hope you go all the way! How did you lose to the yotes twice this year?

While I had hoped the wolves would give you a better game, the outcome wasn't totally unexpected. That being said, I'm really happy with the season the wolves had. They accomplished one of their goals by getting some regional experience. Being as young as they are, we realize their best years are ahead of them. They have already signed some good additions for next year.

Jackmd, I know you are a smart guy and I enjoy reading your posts, but your earlier post in this thread got under my skin a little. "NSU is lucky to be a D2 school".
              I'm sure I don't need to point out that since 1992 when NSU and the majority of the NSIC went D2 they have sent 2 teams to the Elite 8. Two teams in twelve years. And both times they beat an NCC school on their home court to advance. How many NCC schools have gone to the Elite 8 in that time frame?

That being said, I'm smart enough to know that the NCC has been a dominating conference for years. Not only in this area but nation-wide. With SDSU leaving that may change, but who knows. But the NSIC does have quality teams at times. It's hard to compare teams against SDSU because they have been the overall dominating team in their own conference for years.

Just had to get that off my chest, don't take it personally. I hope you guys don't mind if I continue posting here (this is one of the better boards I have found).

Since my favorite team has lost I will cheer for my second favorite. Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

I have a lot of respect for the Nothern program and its fans. I think your an ideal candidate for the NCC and hope you push hard for it. I know this Jack fan will be pulling for you over USD and Augustana.

Comment

Thanks Jackguy, and I hope your success in D1 comes sooner than expected.

Comment

Originally posted by nsufan
                    Congratulations to the Jackrabbits on a dominating win!! I hope you go all the way! How did you lose to the yotes twice this year?
                    Unfortunately, it just gives a great many people all sorts of fodder to complain about the DI move. "Oh god! You can't even beat USD! How can you hope to compete in DI?!" I've been hearing that already from around Brookings. It gets old.

Comment

Buster, Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I think that Jack's move to D1 is a good one. I just meant if the Jacks can play every night the way the are capable of playing that they are nearly unbeatable. They just seemed to have off nights against the yotes.

Comment

Congratulations to the Jackrabbits on a dominating win!!  I hope you go all the way!  

I hope you guys don't mind if I continue posting here (this is one of the better boards I have found).

Since my favorite team has lost I will cheer for my second favorite.  Go Jackrabbits!
                        By all means please continue to post. NSU will be my favorite D-II team soon. I have always thought highly of your program.

Go State!

Comment

Congratulations to the Jackrabbits on a dominating win!!  I hope you go all the way!  How did you lose to the yotes twice this year?

While I had hoped the wolves would give you a better game, the outcome wasn't totally unexpected.  That being said, I'm really happy with the season the wolves had.  They accomplished one of their goals by getting some regional experience.  Being as young as they are, we realize their best years are ahead of them.  They have already signed some good additions for next year.

Jackmd, I know you are a smart guy and I enjoy reading your posts, but your earlier post in this thread got under my skin a little.  "NSU is lucky to be a D2 school".
                          I'm sure I don't need to point out that since 1992 when NSU and the majority of the NSIC went D2 they have sent 2 teams to the Elite 8.  Two teams in twelve years.  And both times they beat an NCC school on their home court to advance. How many NCC schools have gone to the Elite 8 in that time frame?

That being said, I'm smart enough to know that the NCC has been a dominating conference for years.  Not only in this area but nation-wide.  With SDSU leaving that may change, but who knows.  But the NSIC does have quality teams at times.  It's hard to compare teams against SDSU because they have been the overall dominating team in their own conference for years.

Just had to get that off my chest, don't take it personally.  I hope you guys don't mind if I continue posting here (this is one of the better boards I have found).

Since my favorite team has lost I will cheer for my second favorite.  Go Jackrabbits!
                          nsufan,

Don't give me too much credit. The D2 comment was just a little poke. I knew Northern was for real when I witnessed their win in the regional championship in Brookings. I was sitting beside Mike Miller the whole game, painful loss that still haunts me today. The NSIC has also had other good teams. The Southwest team from 2001 was suprising but also impressive.

I'm glad you don't take all the things said here to seriously, that would be a mistake. No hard feelings, NSU has certainly earned a distinction as a DII team. If SDSU can have the same level of success in their move up (making the national tourney) I would be more than satisfied. Well done this year NSU and please stick around nsufan I enjoy your input.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Northern has 2 sd players on their roster. Hammer, and the other one is Kyle Scwann from Aberdeen Roncalli. He comes off the bench, and does actually see a lot of action as a Redshirt Freshman...They are a young team.

Comment

Working...
                            X