Northern State (Regionals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northern State (Regionals)

Yet another good story form Eric. He is traveling with the NSU team.

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...ts/8178286.htm

Posted on Sat, Mar. 13, 2004

Ultimate road trip - traveling with Wolves

By Eric Burgess

American News Sports Writer

The Northern State Wolves are loving every minute of their trip to Denver for the North Central Region men's basketball tournament.

And thanks to the hospitality of the NSU athletic department, coaches and players, so am I. Upon finding out that the Wolves had guaranteed themselves a spot in this year's regional, my friend and editor John Papendick started making the arrangements for my trip to Denver. But instead of having to spend the money on a plane ticket, the gracious Wolves offered to let me tag along.

The opportunity to tag along has allowed me to see a different side of NSU coach Don Meyer's squad. This group of young men is as laid back as a pack of napping lions when they are not on the court. But when it comes time to lace up the sneakers, it's down to business as usual.

Following their Wednesday morning practice, the Wolves and I hopped on a bus at 11 a.m. and began our journey. Our final destination for the first night was the Comfort Inn in Sidney, Neb., which is about a 585-mile drive from Aberdeen. After spending nearly nine hours on the road, a soft bed was a welcome sight when I entered my room. . . .

. . .And although the Rocky Mountains have piqued my interest to this point of the trip, come Saturday it's all going to get even better. The Wolves are members of what many consider to be the toughest region in NCAA Division II men's basketball, which means that I am going to have the opportunity to watch some of the best teams in the nation play. However, my anticipation for the NSU/South Dakota State game, which will be played at 9:30 p.m. (CDT) on Saturday, is the highest.

The SDSU game is one the Wolves have been dying to play since the announcement came on Sunday night that the Jackrabbits were to be their first-round opponent. The NSU players and coaches are eager to show SDSU just how far they have come since their loss to the Jackrabbits back in December.

One thing is certain, if SDSU heads into the game expecting the same type of game as they got from the Wolves earlier this season, Jackrabbit fans could be very disappointed following Saturday's game. In light of what has happened during the course of this season, the Wolves have already proven to their fans that they are a much better team than they were in December. Now they are eager to show SDSU just how much they have improved.

Go Rabbits, beat the Wolves! ;D

Comment

Im sure the Northern boys will have a little added motivation since we waxed them in december. Does anybody know if Matt Hammer was recruited by us as well. I find it hard to believe if he was that he would have left to play at Northern instead of in Brookings so he could be close to his family in Elkton. We usually have a pretty good pull on those local kids that have grown up with jackrabbit basketball.
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        . . ."We won't lie, we're looking forward to the next couple of years," Hammer said. "Our goal is to host the region some year before we're gone. But right now all we're concerned about is the SDSU game. That's the game we're looking forward to right now."
        Not that this isn't a nice goal for Hammer, but just so he, the Northern fans, and future recruits know, SDSU will be concerned about making the Big Dance.

If Eric Burgess thinks a trip to DII regional hosted by Metro St. is exciting what would he have to say about a trip to a DI regional site? A little nicer set-up than Metro or Concordia. Lets just call it the Big Time. I'm glad were headed there.

Lets finish strong in our last year in DII. As far as the region goes, there is only 1 school with both their women and men still alive. We all know who that is. Lets keep it that way after tonight. GO JACKRABBITS.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am having all kinds of problems with WNAX. It sounds like they keep losing Steve's feed back in Yankton (could be my computer, but I don't think so). Last I heard it was SDSU 13 - NSU 10. I might switch to the Northern feed.

Go State.

Comment

7:53 until half:  SDSU 31 - NSU 19!   ;D

Go Blue!

Comment

Ah the Jacks of old. SDSU 46 - NSU 32. Jacks shooting 54% and Moeller is hot! Go State!

Comment

Try logging in to WNAX. I was having the same problems earlier, but it is a good feed now.

Go Rabbit!! Go Rabbit!!

Comment

At the Half: SDSU 49 - NSU 34!

Go SDSU! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaRabbit
                    Try logging in to WNAX.  I was having the same problems earlier, but it is a good feed now.

Go Rabbit!! Go Rabbit!!
                    Nebraska,

Thanks for the heads up, I am still having problems with WNAX. Looks like I am going to have to listen to the NSU feed.  Can someone please tell me what Coach says after the game.

Go SDSU!

Comment

The feed is much better now, just in case here is a quick link to the NSU feed:

http://www.northern.edu/athletics/De.../mbb/home.html
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Just under 16 minutes left and the Jacks have a 12 pt lead.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Jacks starting to take control of this one.  Let Jones rest!  10:53 to go:  SDSU 73 - NSU 52!  Go Rabbits!  ;D The Northern announcer is starting to sound a little dejected.

Go Blue!

Comment

This is the SDSU team we have all expected this year!!  Metro should be watching this game and I asure you they are nervous!!  Here we come Bakersfield!!  

I would love to see USD in the championship.  Way to Go JACKRABBITS.  Remind me agian fellas, which teams are playing for the regional championship and which teams are sitting on their hands??  PLEASE REMIND ME!!!!

I don't think I have ever been more enthused than I am tonight!! I LOVE THE JACKRABBITS!!

Comment

Northern's radio guy has reached the point where he is saying things like, ya the Jacks are killing us, but they will never beat Metro. A little sour grapes. He did say that Metro is the best D-II team he has ever seen. Time will tell. If the Jacks play like they did tonight I feel pretty good about our chances.

Go State!

Comment

Northern States radio guy has seen a lot of NSIC ball and no real BB.  I am not worried about what he has to say.  Metro is not that invincible if UMD and Winona can beat them any time during the season.  The RMAC year has made them over-confident and the NCC year has made us a lot tougher.  I just hope Jones can bounce back.  I like our chances.  GO JACKS!!

This was just as bad a beating as the game earlier this year, NSU is no better than they were earlier this year.  T on NSU, typical of a younger, jealous brother.  NSU is lucky to be a DII school, they didn't move up, DII moved down.  If you'd like to argue this, send me an e-mail.  I would be happy to oblige.

Jacks win 99-80. Thanks for making the trip to Denver NSU. Nagy will sleep just fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X