NDSU GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NDSU GDT

Speed and strength kill. We were a little too slow and too weak, especially in the first half to get a win.

Comment

Had a great time watching the game yesterday. Still a little in shock that NDSU is 2-0 in the conference season. (and even in more shock about the women)

I know this cuts against the NDSU rube mold, but I was very impressed by Cody Larson. (They are really ragging on him on Bisonville; while I am sure they have some legit beefs, I am sure it is partly out of fear of him down the road.....) I think the biggest mistake SDSU made was not feeding the ball to Larson more in the first half, particularly when the shooters were missing. They do that, I think they win the game.

Just my two cents as a Bison fan.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        As bad as we Jacks fans feel today , it could be worse - we could be IPFW. They have also started 0-2 , losing at home yesterday to 4-10 IUPUI. I have a feeling that the winner of the regular season could very well have only 11 or 12 wins.
        I am sure the IPFW players and coaches are down a bit, but their fans? I don't think they got any fans to speak of and that's the problem with commuter schools. Older students there for one thing, to improve their educational skills and that it, they don't get excited about the rah rah stuff like we do.

In 1986, I went to a UNO-SDSU game in Omaha. All the parking around the fieldhouse was taken, and I thought boy I will be lucky to get a seat. Walk in and the gym was damn near empty, all those cars belonged to night class people because after the game, most of the parking lot was empty.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 01-05-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
          Had a great time watching the game yesterday. Still a little in shock that NDSU is 2-0 in the conference season. (and even in more shock about the women)

I know this cuts against the NDSU rube mold, but I was very impressed by Cody Larson. (They are really ragging on him on Bisonville; while I am sure they have some legit beefs, I am sure it is partly out of fear of him down the road.....) I think the biggest mistake SDSU made was not feeding the ball to Larson more in the first half, particularly when the shooters were missing. They do that, I think they win the game.

Just my two cents as a Bison fan.

I agree with what you are saying about feeding Larson. If you read the article in the Fargo paper, NDSU forward Dexter Werner wasn't too impressed with Cody either. He said, "Cody is a great big, he really is but to put it in perspective, I think they threw him the ball every possession in the second half".
          I know that Werner is just a sophomore but if you look at their stats, Cody didn't shoot much more than Werner did. Cody was 7-13 and 7-8 for 21 points. Werner was 5-11 and 4-9 for 14 points. That means that Werner only had two less FG's attempts with one more FT attempt. Cody also had 8 rebounds to Werner's 4. Werner didn't have any other stats except for his four fouls. Cody had his fouls with one assist and one block.

SDSU is going to need somebody else to step up to be considered a contender.

Comment

"Five letters here just for everybody out there in jackrabbit-land: R-E-L-A-X,"

The season is still fairly young, and you cant just put 5 players on the floor and expect it to be magical.. It takes time for players to learn to play together, anyone that knows anything about basketball would tell you the same thing... Lebron could tell you this himself...

People are throwing in the towel after two conference losses, I would like to call those fans fair weather fans, thinking everything should change, different players should play,.. your right, the coaches have no idea what they are doing after spending everyday with the team for the past 7+ months, and you all know everything after watching at most 400 minutes of basketball.. GIVE ME A BREAK...

There is a lot of season left and I still have a lot of confidence in this team, some times have been ugly, but there has also been moments of greatness... and fortunately for this team if you want be to be brutally honest not one game really matters until that game on the first weekend in march...

Mark my words this team will figure it out, and if they dont you can all hate on me later on, but until then... R-E-L-A-X

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
              I agree with what you are saying about feeding Larson. If you read the article in the Fargo paper, NDSU forward Dexter Werner wasn't too impressed with Cody either. He said, "Cody is a great big, he really is but to put it in perspective, I think they threw him the ball every possession in the second half".
              I know that Werner is just a sophomore but if you look at their stats, Cody didn't shoot much more than Werner did. Cody was 7-13 and 7-8 for 21 points. Werner was 5-11 and 4-9 for 14 points. That means that Werner only had two less FG's attempts with one more FT attempt. Cody also had 8 rebounds to Werner's 4. Werner didn't have any other stats except for his four fouls. Cody had his fouls with one assist and one block.

SDSU is going to need somebody else to step up to be considered a contender.
              I'm sorry, but what would make a player give a quote like that to a reporter???? That sounds dangerously close to making excuses for being outplayed.

Just a really poor outlook, IMO. They won, so maybe ol' Dex has Cody figured out after all.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
                Speed and strength kill. We were a little too slow and too weak, especially in the first half to get a win.
                This is not a very good NDSU team so what does that say about us? I think this SDSU team has a lot of untapped potential. Question is what will we do with it.

Comment

7 straight road games can make any team come out flat. Not to mention this was the toughest portion of the schedule and the team came out with a 3-4 record. Not bad considering 2 of the losses came against 2 ranked opponents and they got an impressive win at Utah State. Another thing to remember is that Marshall has yet to play at Frost. There is no need to overreact about the 0-2 start especially against 2 teams that are expected to be challengers in March. We'll be fine. Time to take out the 'necks!

Comment

Maybe just maybe NDSU is better then what some of you think.

SDSU is a good team but not great. You def have a shot at winning the league just like 4 or 5 other schools. Larson is good, one of the better posts in the league. I was more surprised how bad marshall and even more so bittle were. Those guys are too good of players to be playing that bad. Parks was solid but streaky.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      This is not a very good NDSU team so what does that say about us? I think this SDSU team has a lot of untapped potential. Question is what will we do with it.
                      We're not that good? Our d-1 record is around .500 and we are 0-2 in conference play. I'm sure we'll win at least 10 summit games though. I think the best thing to take stock in is that there isn't any team that looks outstanding. It would be cool to see us tap that potential.

Comment

After reading through the thread I find very little to argue with from anyone. I get the frustration. When you see the team come out flat in the last few games it is hard to explain. The team needs to come out and play with urgency from the word go and impose their will on the other team. Right now, the opposite is happening and it has let to large deficits.

I also agree with those that say give these guys some time. Have some players really struggled? You bet. I'm pretty sure they're aware of it without the coaches having to say a thing. They will also be harder on themselves than any of us will be on them.

We saw some of what the potential is in the second half of the Fargo game but that still wasn't close to hitting on all cylinders. The big thing was effort and intensity on defense. Larson showed how dominant he can be when he wants to. Just needs to be more consistent.

What will happen down the road? Nobody knows but I think Nagy has a good track record of bringing the team around and playing their best ball come tournament time. They finally get some home cooking this week. That should help. Let's do our part and get to Frost Arena and cheer them on. Obviously, there is a lot of potential there but potential doesn't win games.

We've been a little spoiled around here after 4 years of Wolters and the team last year with 4 seasoned seniors. This is the struggle that most teams deal with on a regular basis. The good news is that this is a relatively young team and we will have some good players for the next several years. The 5 spot will need to be addressed whether that is Devine or one of the other players stepping up or bringing someone in but should be pretty solid everywhere else.

I fully expect these guys to come out of the locker room on Wednesday ready to go from the opening tip and play with urgency and dictate the play to the opponent. If we don't see that, well, we'll probably having the same conversation on Thursday morning.

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X