Utah State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utah State

Well I don't think that math works out either. From what I heard is there is a rolling 6 year period. So SDSU will get shares this year from 6 years ago, 5 years ago, 4 years ago, etc. So we get 6 shares if we stay in the league for all 6 of those years. When a team leaves the conference (UMKC, SUU, ORU), they give up their shares in future years and they get distributed to teams that are still in the league and were in the league at time the shares were earned. New teams, like Denver start getting shares immediately, but is not retroactive. Denver will get 2 shares this year because NDSU advanced in the tourney. SDSU gets 7 shares (1 share each for the last 5 years and 2 shares for last year). UNO does not get any shares until this year.

So I think the conference gets 6 years of earnings at about $245,000 each, plus and extra share for NDSU win last year, or another $245,000. So Summit League gets about $1,715,000 this year.

NDSU get 8 shares - $326,666
    SDSU gets 7 shares - $285,831
    Denver gets 2 shares - $81,666
    UNO gets 0 shares - $0
    WIU gets 7 shares - $285,831
    USD gets 4 shares (I'm guessing here) - $163,333
    IPFW gets 7 shares - $285,831
    IUPIU gets 7 shares - $285,831

These are all estimates but it does demonstrate how it is distributed.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      Wrong wrong wrong.
      You've been a little feisty lately Montana.....it is the Christmas season you know. Don't be grinchy.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
        Well I don't think that math works out either. From what I heard is there is a rolling 6 year period. So SDSU will get shares this year from 6 years ago, 5 years ago, 4 years ago, etc. So we get 6 shares if we stay in the league for all 6 of those years. When a team leaves the conference (UMKC, SUU, ORU), they give up their shares in future years and they get distributed to teams that are still in the league and were in the league at time the shares were earned. New teams, like Denver start getting shares immediately, but is not retroactive. Denver will get 2 shares this year because NDSU advanced in the tourney. SDSU gets 7 shares (1 share each for the last 5 years and 2 shares for last year). UNO does not get any shares until this year.

So I think the conference gets 6 years of earnings at about $245,000 each, plus and extra share for NDSU win last year, or another $245,000. So Summit League gets about $1,715,000 this year.

NDSU get 8 shares - $326,666
        SDSU gets 7 shares - $285,831
        Denver gets 2 shares - $81,666
        UNO gets 0 shares - $0
        WIU gets 7 shares - $285,831
        USD gets 4 shares (I'm guessing here) - $163,333
        IPFW gets 7 shares - $285,831
        IUPIU gets 7 shares - $285,831

These are all estimates but it does demonstrate how it is distributed.
        I think your exactly right.

I was speaking in terms of one hypothetical year, you are using 6 in your example. The numbers above are inflated because of the conference turnover we've had in recent years. I think my point is still valid in that the one year/one extra share is not a real big percentage of even the basketball budget. Even if SDSU doesn't make the tourney this year we will still get money from the NCAA. If you read 3pt's posts I got the idea he was indicating that after this year if SDSU doesn't make the tourney that money is going away. It's not.

Also, I still think having a strong conference is much better than a weak one. Makes getting a higher seed easier and thus getting a win easier and earning an extra share for everyone. We also want to get to a point where more than one Summit team is considered for the tourney. The conference as a whole needs to get stronger for that to happen.

Comment

Oh Tk. I'm not feisty....just debating.

I was wrong in that making the tourney does give us an extra share. I had never heard that before and we've discussed this NCAA tourney payment stuff before.

Comment

^ if you believe you're right you're going to stand up for your opinions. I'm the same way until proven otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              ^ if you believe you're right you're going to stand up for your opinions. I'm the same way until proven otherwise.
              I will fold like a lawn chair if you even insinuate that I might be wrong...
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                I will fold like a lawn chair if you even insinuate that I might be wrong...
                You're wrong to be folding that easily.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                  You're wrong to be folding that easily.
                  Oh god, a catch-22! Now what do I do?!
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                  X