12/9 St. Louis Billikens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 12/9 St. Louis Billikens

A comfortable win over KC followed by a gritty road win at a school with some mid-major tradition. Maybe it's starting to come together.

Comment

Thanks for posting the coach's post-game comments, JD. He was a little more negative than I thought he'd be after a road win. Granted, lots of TO's and it sounded on the radio like a tough, sloppy game. Hanging on for the victory after Cody fouled out was a big plus. And Reed and Deondre had nice games. Good win, Jacks.
      This space for lease.

Comment

So Nagy wasn't lying about this being a good shooting team. SDSU is 14/31, 45%, the last 2 games from 3. That is some pretty solid shooting.

This team has a lot upside especially when Marshall gets eligible. SDSU will be one of the top teams in the Summit come March. Guarantee it.

Comment

I'm feeling much better about the season after the last two games. I think we could be pretty solid on offense once Marshall is eligible and we have a true point who can handle the ball. Having a slasher like Parks and another quick guard in Marshall will give us a look we haven't had in a few years and I expect we'll see more open shots for the perimeter as well.

Devine played some huge minutes in the second half. He's a force on defense and seems to be getting more comfortable as his playing time has increased.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Thanks for posting the coach's post-game comments, JD. He was a little more negative than I thought he'd be after a road win. Granted, lots of TO's and it sounded on the radio like a tough, sloppy game. Hanging on for the victory after Cody fouled out was a big plus. And Reed and Deondre had nice games. Good win, Jacks.
            If you watched the game on TV you would understand why he was negative. Sloppy game and for the most of it we didn't play well at all. Plus he's almost never happy after a game.

Lots of potential with this team. Good tough road win. Hopefully that jump starts them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              I'm feeling much better about the season after the last two games. I think we could be pretty solid on offense once Marshall is eligible and we have a true point who can handle the ball. Having a slasher like Parks and another quick guard in Marshall will give us a look we haven't had in a few years and I expect we'll see more open shots for the perimeter as well.

Devine played some huge minutes in the second half. He's a force on defense and seems to be getting more comfortable as his playing time has increased.
              I thought the offense was best with Moffit at the point. With Marshall back he can move into the back-up role. Being forced to develop a 2nd point because Marshall is ineligible should pay dividends down the road.

Comment

Last thoughts on Chaifetz Arena. Very nice facility, almost no student turnout--band and pep squads represented well over half the student attendance, free tix being handed out every where, didn't look half full to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  I would find it very difficult to play for or have my son play for Nagy. Coach seems to really break down the kids during the game. In my humble opinion he needs to build them up a little more during the game and save the butt chewing for the locker room or during practice. However, he seems to get the kids to play hard for him and bottom line is they win regardless of the frowns, comments, foot stomping etc.

Nice win last night against a formidable opponent on the road.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Watching his expressions and body language during games makes me sad!

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Watching his expressions and body language during games makes me sad!

Go Jacks!!
                      Not the same as Sox Walseth, Jim Iverson or even Reuben Jack Frost. They were much calmer guys, but all the body language aside, Coach Nagy cares about his players and often referred to them as his "kids". His father was a wild man in the Kansas Juco ranks, and he might have picked up some of that. Both Nagy and Dad are very knowledgeable about the game and know what it takes to win. Hankering back to the hearings of Col. North, and his attorney, the attorney when questioned about his private comments to the Col. advising him on answering certain questions, said he was not a" potted plant". I would not expect Coach Nagy to be a potted plant either in directing this fine group of athletes.

Comment

The least of my worries about the Jacks is whether Nagy is too tough on the team. I believe he wants to get as much out of his teams as any coach and uses that desire to get after em. Besides, the assistants are there for the reason of providing the support when they get yelled out. And from what I can see, the excel at that part of their job. That's quite frankly why I'm a bigger fan of a larger rotation with our freshmen this year. Get them used to the requirements of playing for Nagy young so by the time they are upperclassmen, the know the expectations of the staff.

Comment

[QUOTE=JackJD;263987]A road win is a valuable win. Tyler M: We had 16 turnovers in the first 24 minutes but had only 4 in the last 6 minutes.

This made me laugh. 4 in 6 minutes is the exact same ratio as 16 in 24.

Comment

In my opinion most college basketball coaches coach very similar to Coach Nagy. I didn't say all. I understand that there are "rah rah" guys on the sidelines even when your team turns the ball over 15 times in the first half. I would've had a hard time staying positive watching that first half offensive performance. On the positive side the defense was good and State lead by one at the half.

I tip my cap to Coach and his current and former staff from bringing this program back from where it was. Anyone remember 2004 - 2008?

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                              This made me laugh. 4 in 6 minutes is the exact same ratio as 16 in 24.
                              Yeah, somebody forgot the 1. Tyler actually tweeted out we only had 4 turnovers in the last 16:30.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                                In my opinion most college basketball coaches coach very similar to Coach Nagy. I didn't say all. I understand that there are "rah rah" guys on the sidelines even when your team turns the ball over 15 times in the first half. I would've had a hard time staying positive watching that first half offensive performance. On the positive side the defense was good and State lead by one at the half.

I tip my cap to Coach and his current and former staff from bringing this program back from where it was. Anyone remember 2004 - 2008?
                                Nagy and the administration hung in there and look where it's come out. Pretty impressive, actually.
                                DeVine had four blocks last night. He will get more PT if he keeps that up.

Comment

Working...
                                X