Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FGCU

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    As an outsider looking in, this is the point that has more or less been floating around in my mind all season for you guys. It's great that Nagy can split the season up into thirds with Marshall being the key component in the Jackrabbits' success when he is eligible, but Nagy better hope Marshall makes that much of an impact once he's suited up and playing.

Of course, to be fair to Nagy, sometimes a simple quote or explanation can get taken out of context and blown out of proportion. A few years ago, Coach Billeter was discussing our three key players (at the time, Cody Schilling, Cameron McCaffrey and D1 transfer point guard Drae Murray), and said, "We're sort of like the Miami Heat of D2." As he had explained in other interviews, he meant that the Vikes, like the Heat that year, had 3 key players and the rest of the roster would need to step up and make an impact around those three or the team wouldn't be as good as expected. Instead, people assumed he was arrogantly saying Augie was as good in D2 as the Miami Heat were in the NBA, which wasn't the case. But that's how it came out in fans' (and non-fans') minds, and it was met with a negative reaction. It's possible Nagy was just explaining how the offensive scheme would change once an impact player like Marshall was eligible. It might not have been a reference to wins or talent on the floor so much as other possible strategies/plans he will employ upon Marshall's arrival.

At the same time, as has been mentioned on here, if Marshall comes out and tears an ACL in his first or second game of the season, Jackrabbit fans will be hoping Nagy has figured out something that works without Marshall in the lineup. For his sake, I would hope Nagy just meant X's and O's would be different after Marshall's arrival rather than overall talent/ability to win.
    Nagy sees Marshall in practice every day. I have to believe he has a pretty good idea of what he has coming in Marshall.

In FGCU we saw a team that had experience on a level like the team we had last year. There will be some bumps along the way but there is a lot of talent on the floor. Larson, Bittle, Parks, and Marshall should be a formidable quartet. We need some quality minutes out of the young guys. So does every other team. The raw talent is there!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I'm fired up this Monday after Thanksgiving, sorry for the rants. I just think it is pretty lame that we are this dependent on a transfer player (who we know very little about).

Anyone with half a brain could have seen this coming when we return about 2 guys who received consistent playing time. These guys weren't good enough to play last year, and its looking like they aren't good enough to play this year either...

The football team didn't get a pass from fans when we had to rely on a 2nd string quarterback. Do they get a pass next year after we graduate the best QB, RB, and WR in school history? Why is it ok to split the bball season into thirds and throw in the towel until our savior transfer is eligible? Complete joke.

I really hope Marshall is the second coming of Nate, or we are in big, big trouble.

As of right now, I don't know how many of these guys can play this year or not.

We only have 7 players on this team that were on the team last year(that didn't redshirt). Broman and Devine were freshmen. I would hope that your 4th to 5th year seniors play more than your freshmen. They will hopefully be solid role players by next year. Conner did redshirt the year before but he was sick and that set him back. I really didn't expect them to come in this year and be all conference players. Cory and Joshua probably will not get much time at all while they are here. Of course, Cory will get more than Joshua. That leaves Cody, Jake and Zach. You don't have to say anything about Cody. I think that Jake will be fine, too. Zach is the only one that I'm worried about. I think his injuries have slowed him down. Weather he can come back from that is up in the air.

I think some of the new guys will play solid roles this year and we will be fine come conference time. Parks and Marshall have played enough ball and are mature enough to make solid contributions this year. I heard that Marshall has already had 3 concussions so he better not get another one or he might not be on the team long. I DON'T KNOW IF THAT IS TRUE but that is what I heard. I also think that if Reed and Skyler settle down they will play solid minutes.

Keaton has been playing because he is the second best option we have a a PG. The best option we have right now. So when Marshall plays, that will let everybody settle down and and get to the roles that suit them best.

I don't mind splitting the season into 3 parts. There are lots of times when you split up the pre conference season and the conference season. This just adds the in the first month or so to give the new players time to adjust to playing with each other and defining their roles. It's not like you have 4 starters back and a super sub off the bench. The more turnover that you have between season, the longer (I think) it should take to get used to each other and play like a team. They did have a oversea's trip so that should help out some. I would almost say that the first few games after Marshall is on the team will be an adjusting period, too.

I really think that we played fairly good against FGCU. If we hit a few shots, we could have hung with a team that should be in that NCAA Tourney. They started 5 seniors and have more all-conference type players. I guess some times I might see the glass half full. If we play with the hustle and toughness that we played with last night, we should be near the top of the conference(if somebody can put the ball in the hole) and be a scary team come tourney time.

P.S. The football team played the Hobo Day game without their QB and WR and almost beat Youngstown State to I think they will be OK. I'm sure you probably think so, too. If they had either of those players, they probably would have won. So I did give them a pass.

Comment

Gotta say this has been a great discussion. Thanks everyone.

I liked what Mr.Augustana had to say about taking Nagy's 3 seasons comment out of context. I don't think all his eggs are in the George Marshall basket but that a key player won't be available until Dec 15th and so there is going to be a feeling out time and then a time of getting used to rotations and then things really fire up in the conference portion.

I think we could have gone undefeated right now and our final seed if we make the tourney still wouldn't be better than 13/14 just due to strength of conference so I don't think there is any reason to get worked up about being 2-3 instead of 4-1 or even if 1-4.

I also wonder if there wasn't some discipline going on that we aren't aware of. Did Broman or Severyn even see the floor? Kinda makes a guy wonder if there wasn't a rule broken somewhere.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
          Gotta say this has been a great discussion. Thanks everyone.

I liked what Mr.Augustana had to say about taking Nagy's 3 seasons comment out of context. I don't think all his eggs are in the George Marshall basket but that a key player won't be available until Dec 15th and so there is going to be a feeling out time and then a time of getting used to rotations and then things really fire up in the conference portion.

I think we could have gone undefeated right now and our final seed if we make the tourney still wouldn't be better than 13/14 just due to strength of conference so I don't think there is any reason to get worked up about being 2-3 instead of 4-1 or even if 1-4.

I also wonder if there wasn't some discipline going on that we aren't aware of. Did Broman or Severyn even see the floor? Kinda makes a guy wonder if there wasn't a rule broken somewhere.
          Broman spent the entire game near the end of the bench - it looked like he wasn't going to get in the game no matter what happened, which led me to question if their was something physically wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Broman spent the entire game near the end of the bench - it looked like he wasn't going to get in the game no matter what happened, which led me to question if their was something physically wrong.
            He wasn't sitting at the end of the bench. The players were seated from the end of bench as: Daum, Marshall, Jacobson, Doyle, Sevryn, Broman and the players that played.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              He wasn't sitting at the end of the bench. The players were seated from the end of bench as: Daum, Marshall, Jacobson, Doyle, Sevryn, Broman and the players that played.
              I said near, meaning he was never in the group of players that saw action.

Comment

I don't have much to say. Lots of work left. However, I've always felt Larson is being misused on offense. He really clogs up the middle which closes lanes down. It was very evident yesterday with his shot not falling along with everyone else's. I'd like to see him get the ball at the high post a little more and slide down to post up. He'd still get double teamed. When Fiegen was hitting from the elbow our offense was unstoppable that year. But obviously that was with Nate and all the shooters.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                  I don't think all his eggs are in the George Marshall basket but that a key player won't be available until Dec 15th
                  I'm not sure that he will quite be eligible by December 15th. I have a final on December 17th. From what I have heard, he can't play until grades are turned in for the semester. Grades are due to the registrars office by December 22nd. I could be wrong in that they scheduled his finals earlier and are having the professors turn his grades in ASAP, but there is a chance we won't see Marshall until we go to Utah on the 23rd.
                  "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Just know he will be playing Dec. 18th vs Idaho State.

Comment

All the posts about Marshall, three seasons, Nagy, what happens if Marshall gets hurt, etc., made me a little dizzy. It seems so much simpler to me. The Jacks have a very good point guard coming in, but he wasn't available the first of the season. The coaches know how good Marshall is, or can be, and so they know he is going to be the starting point guard. What did you expect them to do, until he is eligible. I expected them to see who else on the squad could be a back up, knowing you are going to start Bittle, Marshall, Parks, Larson and TBD (to be decided by quality of play up until Marshall joints the team). What if Marshall gets hurt...well, just like any other player on the first 7 or 8, you have to move somebody else up. Seems to me like this is a more justifiable scenario for what has happened, what is happening, and what is going to be happening when Marshall is eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        All the posts about Marshall, three seasons, Nagy, what happens if Marshall gets hurt, etc., made me a little dizzy. It seems so much simpler to me. The Jacks have a very good point guard coming in, but he wasn't available the first of the season. The coaches know how good Marshall is, or can be, and so they know he is going to be the starting point guard. What did you expect them to do, until he is eligible. I expected them to see who else on the squad could be a back up, knowing you are going to start Bittle, Marshall, Parks, Larson and TBD (to be decided by quality of play up until Marshall joints the team). What if Marshall gets hurt...well, just like any other player on the first 7 or 8, you have to move somebody else up. Seems to me like this is a more justifiable scenario for what has happened, what is happening, and what is going to be happening when Marshall is eligible.
                        This is spot on! Rep points!!! The coaches are playing the cards they have. Really pretty simple.

(well, I can't give Jacks#1fan more rep points because I have given him too many. Not surprised)

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X