FGCU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FGCU

My take on the game yesterday was little different. The team gave great effort on defense and there was some solid contributions made from some new faces.

Everybody in the gym was surprised by Moffitt starting. Heck, I didn't even know his name. Thought his effort was good, made a few mistakes but also made some good plays. Parks looks much more comfortable at the 2. Divine showed some really good stuff on defense. Still looks lost on offense and that needs to change.

The first 8 minutes of the second half was brutal and was the entire game. They got good shots but couldn't make anything. Haven't seen anything like that since going to Fargo in Nate's senior year. Executed well but couldn't get them to drop.

Give FGCU credit. That is probably as good of a team as we will face this year. They start a senior-laden line-up and have been through a lot of battles. They had some serious athleticism which we controlled very well in the first half. They got rolling in the second half and being a veteran club they knew exactly how to milk the clock and get the W without giving us a chance to get back in it.

Could Nagy have done a few things different? Meh, probably but he was consistent to how he does things.

This is a work in progress for sure. They've got a lot of games in the next 10 days and look forward to seeing growth.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 3ptJackrabbit View Post
      You don't concede anything in my opinion.
      Why? What does it matter? 2-3 or 4-1 what is the difference? I am actually just asking. I follow basketball very casually and it seems to me what our record is coming out of the ooc portion is nearly irrelevant. Especially this year when the conference seems down.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
        Why? What does it matter? 2-3 or 4-1 what is the difference? I am actually just asking. I follow basketball very casually and it seems to me what our record is coming out of the ooc portion is nearly irrelevant. Especially this year when the conference seems down.
        It is only relevant for two reasons, the team's confidence and seeding in the NCAA Tournament if the Jacks win the Summit Tourney. So, it isn't a big deal really. Everyone on the team, the coaches, the fans, and our opponents are aware that our dynamic will change when Marshall comes onto the court. Just how big that change is will be the big question.

I do echo the thoughts of some who worry about who is going to make 3's for us. Several have shown the ability and once Marshall is out there it should help lead to more open 3's. They've got to make a decent percentage or we will struggle. How's that for Captain Obvious?

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Devine, IMO, had his best game as a college player. Liked seeing Devine and Larson out there at the same time.

Comment

That was a poorly coached game by Nagy on many levels. First you don't start Moffitt. True point guard or not you go with your strengths at this point and Anders played better at the point all year than Moffitt did yesterday. We shot horribly in the second half as he went to that small lineup again and we got nothing out of it. Some success against ND doesn't translate to a legit team. You don't let a team go on a 9-0 run to start a half w/o a timeout. You don't get paid for taking them back to Brookings. Cody scores 4 points looks like he's getting going and Nagy subs him out???? This sending messages to kids crap has to go as well. Screwing with kid's confidence to send a message?

And somebody help me out with why Jacobsen came into the game the last minute? Not sure I've seen him all year either.
            This has been Coach Nagy's MO for as long as he has been at SDSU. IMO, there have been a lot of good players ruined at SDSU because of the head games and negativity from the coaching staff. Many others have thrived and grown in that atmosphere.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'd argue that was a tactical error made by Nagy as well. You don't concede anything in my opinion. No reason this team isn't 4-1 right now absent Marshall but everyone in the program is waiting for George, so we just throw the soup du jour out at PG because he's the only pure one in the program?
              Not to mention the message it sends to the rest of the team. "You guys won't be really good until we get that one player we really want on the floor."

Same thing happened in Minnesota a few years ago when Nate rolled his ankle in walk-through the night before the game. As soon as Nate couldn't play, we might as well have got back on the bus and came home.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                Devine, IMO, had his best game as a college player. Liked seeing Devine and Larson out there at the same time.
                I agree and hope that when we get to league play against teams not as quick as FGCU that we see more of that. After everyone gets eligible , my preferred lineup would be Larson,Devine,Bittle,Parks and Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                  Here's a legitimate question I have. What does any of this matter? It seems to me regardless of what we do in this "preseason" our seeding if we won the Summit Tourney was going to be around a 14 anyway. This entire part of the season is essentially meaningless warm up and Nagy has almost said as much before anything started by saying we are going to have 3 seasons this year, Pre George, With George and Conference.
                  Could somebody clarify what part of the season it will be if George gets hurt?

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Could somebody clarify what part of the season it will be if George gets hurt?
                    Apparently, it will be wait til next season.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyRabbitFoot View Post
                      Divine played very well...
                      I guess we weren't watching the same game. He got pulled multiple times for not being able to hold onto the ball or play defense. His foul on a 3 point shot was a game changer. Towards the end of the game he finally started to play aggressively on defense and block some shots, but he seems lost out there especially on offense.

Comment

This has been Coach Nagy's MO for as long as he has been at SDSU. IMO, there have been a lot of good players ruined at SDSU because of the head games and negativity from the coaching staff. Many others have thrived and grown in that atmosphere.
                        It's a different era in players as well. Everyone needs to evolve.

Comment

Realize Theisen is just a freshman, but he does not look remotely comfortable out there. No Broman, Severyn or Doyle yesterday afternoon. Must be some things that are not happening in practice that are preventing playing time for some of the players. That second half was really hard to watch.

Comment

I'm fired up this Monday after Thanksgiving, sorry for the rants. I just think it is pretty lame that we are this dependent on a transfer player (who we know very little about).

Anyone with half a brain could have seen this coming when we return about 2 guys who received consistent playing time. These guys weren't good enough to play last year, and its looking like they aren't good enough to play this year either...

The football team didn't get a pass from fans when we had to rely on a 2nd string quarterback. Do they get a pass next year after we graduate the best QB, RB, and WR in school history? Why is it ok to split the bball season into thirds and throw in the towel until our savior transfer is eligible? Complete joke.

I really hope Marshall is the second coming of Nate, or we are in big, big trouble.

Comment

Not quite sure who everyone thinks Nagy was playing head games with yesterday. I think the coaching staff decided Parks is more effective playing off the ball and he needs to get time there since that's where he is going to be for the bulk of the season. Nobody has responded to my question about Broman's availability yesterday , but it looked to me ( was sitting right behind the Jacks bench ) like he wasn't available. Regardless , I don't see him as a point guard either. If people want to fault the coaching staff for not having another natural point guard on the roster I don't have a problem with that , but I don't think starting Moffitt yesterday had anything to do with head games. As far as Larson coming out , every time he sat he looked gassed when he came out , and never sat very long whenever he did come out.

Comment

Let's keep in mind that Moffitt is from Sioux Falls and a portion of the reason for starting him may have been the opportunity to get "the start" in front of his friends, relatives, etc., since it likely won't happen come tournament time.

That's probably grasping at straws, but I gotta try.......

Comment

Working...
                                X