National Letter of Intent Signing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: National Letter of Intent Signing Day

My posts above were a summary of Nagy's comments...

He sounded pretty calm and satisfied with how things were going. (Weird to listen to a calm and satisfied Scott Nagy, by the way). He said he wasn't losing any sleep about not getting all of his available spots filled today.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
      I got busy at work and missed the whole d**n thing.  Can anyone sum up what nagy said in one post and give a feel for how it sounded.  Are we impressed or not.  The one thing i noticed is that Caldwell was second team all metro and this kid that USD signed is first team all metro.  Probably doesn't mean much and as said before i have faith in coach nagy, just doesn't look the best at this point.  Cadwell has good size for a point guard 6'2 and it says led his team in rebounding, you know coach loves that.  ;D  ;D   ;D 
      My guess as to why no D-I school signed Jesse Becker is size. He is listed as 5'11" and who knows if he is really that tall.

Comment

USD's signee might have been a better high school player than Caldwell, but I'm guessing Caldwell will be the better college player.  I'm glad we got a guard over 6'.  I was hoping for more signings, but I'm happy with who we have coming.  Scott should be a great shooting guard, and hopefully Caldwell can step in on point. I hope we can find a Juco true center during this signing period as well. What kind of players do you guys think will get the other two spots?

Comment

I'd like to see a true D-I center, maybe even two of them. Alternatively, a 6'6"-6'8" swingman with some range. Whoever they are, they'd better be able to play some defense...
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here is the skinny on Matt Caldwell:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,3593

04/14/2004
            Jacks Sign Guard From Cretin Derham Hall
            BROOKINGS, SD - A standout all-around athlete from a Twin Cities high school has signed a letter of intent indicating he will enroll at South Dakota State University and participate in the Jackrabbit men’s basketball program.

Matt Cadwell, a 6-2 guard, is the all-time leading scorer at tradition-rich Cretin-Derham Hall High School in St. Paul. He scored 1,442 points in three seasons, had 406 rebounds and shot 40 per cent on three-point attempts.
            Cretin-Derham Hall, a Class AAAA team, was 24-5 last season, losing in the section finals. The previous seasons, the team was 19-8, with a double-overtime loss in the section semi-finals; and 25-4 in 2002, losing to Minneapolis North in the sectional final.
            Cadwell was a two-time first-team all St. Paul City Conference selection. He earned all-state recognition from both the St. Paul Pioneer Press and Minneapolis Star Tribune.

As a senior, Cadwell averaged 21 points and played every position, from point guard to post. Very creative offensively, he shot 39.8 percent from three-point range, 47.7 percent overall. Despite playing mostly guard, he led the team in rebounds with seven a game.

In addition to basketball, Cadwell earned all-state honors in football, and is a standout baseball player.

At SDSU, he will join a team which will begin competing in NCAA Division I next season. . . .

Good signing looking forward to seeing him play!

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

My guess as to why no D-I school signed Jesse Becker is size.  He is listed as 5'11" and who knows if he is really that tall.  
              All-star teams are not selected by coaches for the most part, but by the media. Whether you are first team or second in Minnesota, its an accompolishment. Its what the Jacks need now that counts in recruiting. Media picks mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                I'd like to see a true D-I center, maybe even two of them.  Alternatively, a 6'6"-6'8" swingman with some range.  Whoever they are, they'd better be able to play some defense...
                Things are a little busy in my world and I figured you guys would do fine without me, which you have.

Filbert is right on. We need to find a big man whose priority is rebounding and defense. We should have plenty of scorers and I think DeJong and Beren can provide limited time at the 5 spot. Jones and Beren are best suited at the 4 with Jones able to function like a 3 (assuming he is healthy).

Scott, Wenig, Green and maybe Loney (don't know much about him) will battle it out to see who is best in the true 3-spot. I imagine Scott will get significant minutes. Anybody have input on this??

Caldwell should be an excellent addition and can make an impact at the 2 guard right away. Not sure if he can play point. I like Andy at 2 a little more than point but I am confident he can play either. I don't think Hokenson or Kleinjan are Division I players. Giever may get a few minutes at 2 guard.

I am looking for Nagy to sign a couple of JUCO players (pure speculation as I have no info). A big man and maybe even a true point guard to provide some experience with Andy in the backcourt.

Schedule should come together. Won't be many big games a Frost this year, but thats going to have to be OK. Things will improve each year.

Nice to see Jacks baseball team show some pride and put up good fight against the Gophers losing in 10 innings.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

A.J. Jonston was on KWSN. Talked about this past season and how much he is going to miss the Sr. talked a little about our incoming freshmen. He said that he has 12-14 D-I games set (or nearly set). The schools he talked about by name, that we will be playing next year, are Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Ball State, NDSU, and in a tourney at Northern Ill. He said that he and Scott have been very picky and they are trying to get as many D-I games as possible for next season.

Comment

I hope UWGB, UW-Milwaukee, and Ball St. have room in their record for a big, fat (L) after playing the SDSU womens team. ;D

Comment

Women sign another recruit 6'0 forward Sarah Meckley of Owen-Withee High School in Wisconsin. Averaged 18.6 points 9.8 rebounds. Scored 1300 points in her career.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                        Women sign another recruit 6'0 forward Sarah Meckley of Owen-Withee High School in Wisconsin. Averaged 18.6 points 9.8 rebounds. Scored 1300 points in her career.
                        Sounds like a nice addition. 10 rebounds per game will really help our interior game. This will allow Schlagel to continue to be a force on the perimeter. I think our women can contend early and may get an NIT bid before you know it.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                        X