D I opponents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D I opponents

Don't look for much on a DI schedule for men's basketball this year. From what I hear the going has been tough to schedule games for next year. Current Division I teams get no points for playing a provisional DI member. They aren't very interested in playing the Jacks. Like its been said many times on this board, this move isn't about next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
      Don't look for much on a DI schedule for men's basketball this year.  From what I hear the going has been tough to schedule games for next year.  Current Division I teams get no points for playing a provisional DI member.  They aren't very interested in playing the Jacks.  Like its been said many times on this board, this move isn't about next year.  
      Not 100% accurate, however I do get your point, this coming season we count as D-II to D-I schools. So we should be thankful for every D-I game we get (Fresno State, Butler, etc.) The following season '05-'06 we count as D-I and should see a much easier time getting games. Keep in mind that we already have Butler coming to Frost in '05-'06. No matter who we play, I am looking forward to our first season in D-I!

Let's go Rabbits! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
        Don't look for much on a DI schedule for men's basketball this year.  From what I hear the going has been tough to schedule games for next year.  Current Division I teams get no points for playing a provisional DI member.  They aren't very interested in playing the Jacks.  Like its been said many times on this board, this move isn't about next year.  
        The main reason I posted the KU request was not about this coming year. I think it helps open the eyes of those who think we can't schedule teams like Kansas. Even the biggest and best schools are looking for games in the non-conference season. Granted, we won't be playing them this year, but I think this illustrates the potential for several games in the near future. Its hard to complain about Kansas coming to Frost arena although I am sure there are those who would rather see Sioux Falls College.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I know I am repeating myself here, but based on the Stan Marshall auction, there are two games for sure since tickets and hotel accommodations were auctioned off.

U of Manhattan, Not KANSAS
          San Diego State.

Also SDSU women are going to Virgin Islands for a tourney and will play Kentucky, Rutgers and Oregan State. A trip package was also auctioned off. Its a strange way to find out the schedule but just about anything works.

Comment

SDSU vs SDSU, I'm there! ;D That is a roadtrip that I will make for sure!

Go State! 8)

Comment

So, our story so far . . . (everything subject to change...that's how it is in D-I, folks...)

2004-05 MBB Opponents
              With Dates:
              11/20 Butler
              12/3-4 Fresno State
              12/3-4 TBD (Fresno State tournament)
              12/18 Michigan Tech
              1/3 at Northern State

Other:
              at Tennessee State
              at San Diego State
              at Manhattan
              NDSU home&home (likely)
              at Illinois-Chicago (rumored)

possibles (D-I independents)
              Northern Colorado
              Utah Valley State
              Savannah State
              North Florida
              Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
              Texas Pan American
              Longwood
              Indiana-Purdue Ft. Wayne

2004-05 WBB Opponents
              Known dates:
              12/11 Concordia-St. Paul
              1/3 at Northern State
              2/18 Upper Iowa

Other:
              TBD (Virgin Islands tournament)
              at Kentucky
              at Rutgers
              at Oregon State
              NDSU home & home (likely)

possibles (D-I independents)
              Northern Colorado
              Utah Valley State
              Savannah State
              North Florida
              Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
              Texas Pan American
              Longwood
              Indiana-Purdue Ft. Wayne
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Hmmm, isn't this interesting.

http://www.basketballtravelers.com/pages/w_vir_div1.htm

or
                http://www.paradisejam.com/pages/women.htm

Note one of the tournaments:
                Purdue
                Kentucky
                Rutgers
                Team TBA
                Looks like a round-robin, each team plays each of the three other teams.

Any guesses as to who TBA is? Hmm? If so, that's some pretty heady competition for the Lady Jacks. And, it's an exempt tournament so the games don't count against the 28-game season limit.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The TBA is SDSU. Dates for the trip sold at Stan Marshas was for Nov 23-28. This trip must have just come together the past few days. The trip sold for $4,100.

Texas Jack Fan was at the Marshall event and talked to Nagy. Nagy reeled off a few opponents, but I dont recall exactly what he told Tex. One opponent I do recall was Denver U. Apparently that is a game that is scheduled but dont know when.

Comment

The "bad" news...I'm going on a cruise of the Mexican Pacific coast over Thanksgiving, so I'll miss out on what will be a fantastic Virgin Islands trip...

The good news...let's look at SDSU's new competition:
                    Purdue, 2004 final Massey rating: 3 (as in, only Tennessee and Connecticut were better last year in all of women's college basketball).
                    Rutgers, 2004 final Massey rating: 31
                    Kentucky, 2004 final Massey rating: 89.

Kentucky just hired a long-time assistant to Pat Summit from Tennessee as their head coach.

SDSU's final 2004 Massey rating, by the way: 73.

This is in the "beyond my wildest dreams" category...absolutely fantastic! Congratulations, Aaron and the entire SDSU athletic program.

Do us proud, Lady Jacks! Ring the Bells!
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I just checked out the Purdue web site. They lost 4 of their starters from last year's team. They could be vulnerable to a Jackrabbit thumping. ;D

Comment

Former Jacks assistant and Bloomington Minnesota native Brian Dutcher is the assistant head coach at San Diego State to Steve Fischer and a big reason the Jacks would be on their schedule in 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                          Former Jacks assistant and Bloomington Minnesota  native Brian Dutcher is the assistant head coach at San Diego State to Steve Fischer and a big reason the Jacks would be on their schedule in 2004.  
                          That explains that. Brian was great assistant for Jim Thorson. I would not be surprised to see St Louis Billikens show up too, since Brad Soderberg is the coach at St Louis.  

I would think Ray Gulattie, the former NDSU coach who left Eastern Washington and went to (Utah?) would be open to scheduling the Dakotas too. (NDSU and SDSU)

Comment

I dont have a lot more info on the schedule, We do have U of Denver from the Sunbelt, UMKC from the Mid Con, and it sounds like they are getting close to a game with USD (Univ. San Diego) ;D Oh how sweet it is.....

Comment

I know what a Billiken is but I'm not telling.

Comment

Me too (now).  

http://slubillikens.collegesports.co.../billiken.html

Here is a link to Brad Soderberg's Bio:

http://slubillikens.collegesports.co...rg_brad00.html

I wouldn't mind a B-Ball game or two with the Billikens!  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X