New Rumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Rumor

I am not sure, but I do know that when Mandy K. and Staci S. transfered to USD (D-II to D-II within the conference) they had to sit out a year. I also know that when a D-I player transfers to a D-II school they do not have to sit out a year. I don't know if it is automatic or if the school has to release the player.

I just assumed that in order for a player from NDSU or SDSU to transfer to another NCC school they would have to wait to make it official until after the schools were no longer a part of the NCC if they wanted to avoid the "sit out" rule.

I do believe that they can verbally commit to a transfer before it is actually official. Maybe that is where we are at this point?

Comment

From what I understand, Conferences can set additional rules to the NCAA regs and in the NCC, there was a very hard and fast rule that if any athlete transferred from one NCC conference member to another NCC conference member, the athlete would have to sit out one year. This was the rule that applied to Koupel and Schooley. What interesting about Aaron Green situation is that he is leaving a school that left the conference on May 31, 2004. Does this rule in that case still apply? The same judgement call would come into play if Andy Moeller decides to leave SDSU for MSU-Mankato. It looks like something that the NCC Comissioner may have to make the call, and he may defer that to the remaining membership for a decision.

Comment

The Depot Radio web site places the SDSU official departure date from the NCC as July 1, 2004. I would guess that NDSU will leave on the same date. That could cause some real problems for anyone tranfering before that date. The hard and fast rule should still apply unless everything is still verbal. What do you think?

http://www.depotradio.com/sports.php

Comment

The folks leaving the departing NCC schools will not have to sit out a year. Debate on that may be compelling, but it's going nowhere. Moeller is as solid as a brick but for the long run, we're going to have to have better players to be successful at the level we're headed.

Comment

I guess its official, Depot Radio Sports this morning had a story on Andy saying everything was in place he just had to complete some paperwork. He has been released from his scholarship here and said he was excited about the opportunity to play for a D2 championship next year at Mankato.

They also announced another signee, 6'5 forward from Champagne high school in Illinois. Don't remember name or anything sorry.

Here is the story from the website:

05/14/2004
            Jacks Sign Illinois Standout
            BROOKINGS, SD - A player from Champaign Centennial High School in Illinois has signed a letter of intent indicating he will enroll at South Dakota State University and participate in the Jackrabbit men’s basketball program.

Steve Holdren, a 6-5 forward, averaged 17.9 points and was the leading rebounder (7.1 rpg) on the Chargers team that went 22-5 and reached the Illinois High School Association sectional semifinals.

SDSU coach Scott Nagy is a 1984 graduate of Centennial High School.

Holdren earned IBCA all-state honors and was a first-team Big-12 Conference pick. He was also on the Champaign News Gazette all-area first-team. Holdren played on the varsity for three seasons. He is the son of Jim and Peggy Holdren of Champaign.

Holdren is the third signee announced by SDSU, which will play its first season as an NCAA Division I member next winter. Earlier signees are 6-2 guard Landon Scott, Sioux City native who attended Iowa Western CC in Council Bluffs this year; and 6-2 guard Mathew Cadwell, from Cretin-Durham Hall High School in the Twin Cities.

Nagy has been head coach at SDSU for nine seasons, with a 210-59 record including a 27-7 mark in 2004. SDSU has won 20 or more games eight times since Nagy became head coach in 1996.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
              I guess its official, Depot Radio Sports this morning had a story on Andy saying everything was in place he just had to complete some paperwork.  He has been released from his scholarship here and said he was excited about the opportunity to play for a D2 championship next year at Mankato.  
              Sorry to see Andy is leaving. I really enjoy the way he plays the game. All-around talent, scoring, rebounding, defending. His only real weakness was distributing the ball and occasional ball-handling difficulty.

Hate to burst his bubble but there will be no D2 championship at MSU next year. Best they can hope for is a top 3 finish in the NCC and a regional bid. Too many shooters and not enough passers on the MSU team right now. Granted, Andy is a great addition, but 1 year won't be enough for that team to gel. Doesn't mean I won't be pulling for them given the SDSU connections. Good luck to Andy and his teammates and coaches at MSU.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Best of Luck to Andy, thanks for all you did at State. I guess I don't understand his reasoning, but then again I don't have to, MSU-Mankato is not going to win the National Championship. I would much rather tell my kids and grandchildren that "daddy/grandpa played at D-I SDSU" then spent three years at SDSU and one season at MSU-Mankato. . .made the D-II tourney four times. Only to have the grandkids go Mankato who are they. . . oh yea theyare a hockey school? I didn't even know they played basketball. Oh well, good luck to Andy and the Mavericks, he will always be a D-II player and we shouldn't worry about him anymore.

Comment

My thanks also to Andy, and I think the fact that Mankato is closer to La Claire Iowa has much to do with this decision. I understand he was scheduled to do his practice teaching at Sioux Valley High (Volga). It now looks like the students in the Mankato area will get the benefit of Andy Moeller as a student teacher. I suspect all of his credits will transfer for him and he can play one more year of basketball.

I think that student athletes should be free to move on if that is what they want, and someone else mention Andy' independant spirit. The people who mover forward now day are usually not afraid to think outside of the box. Also he knows all the coaches etc so its going to be a win-win for Andy.

I think we will be okay. Nagy has probably known this for sometime.

Comment

Sorry to disagree with you SDSUfan but I don't think recruited students should move around as they please. They made a commitment and unless there are very unusal circumstances they should stick to the commitment. That's life and college students need to know that a deal is a deal. Hell, State stuck with Moeller after his legal problems last year. Moeller got four years of what I would imagine was a full ride scholarship. He ought to have a little loyalty to SDSU. People constantly second guess coaches and here's an example of why the coaching business is tough. You kiss ass when you recruit these kids and then evidently you have to kiss ass while they're here. The world has been turned upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
                      Sorry to disagree with you SDSUfan but I don't think recruited students should move around as they please.  They made a commitment and unless there are very unusal circumstances they should stick to the commitment.  That's life and college students need to know that a deal is a deal.  Hell, State stuck with Moeller after his legal problems last year.  Moeller got four years of what I would imagine was a full ride scholarship.  He ought to have a little loyalty to SDSU.  People constantly second guess coaches and here's an example of why the coaching business is tough.  You kiss ass when you recruit these kids and then evidently you have to kiss ass while they're here.  The world has been turned upside down.
                      Jack:
                      One unhappy camper can spoil the camping weekend and even the the basketball season if it involves an unhappy player. Many of us are still trying to figure out last season, and I myself have some reason it involved  individuals and issues they were dealing with. These issues may have involved Andy and maybe they did not. Who knows.

Name the most generous non-academic scholarship on campus, and is their some contractual agreement to stay whether you like it or not?  There probably is not and I think student atheletes are people and yes they get into legal situations that we would hope would not happen.  What young person is not going to do drugs including alchohol the legal one under certain circumstances.

Andy is gone, we can not do anything about it and I  commend Coach Nagy for letting him out of the contract.  It opens an opportunity to recruit for the future so there is a silver lining too in this affair.

P.S Student Athletes have no contract with the crowds they draw. Nothing we can do will make them stay at SDSU and perform if they dont want to. Andy owes his fan following at SDSU nothing.

Comment

I've heard Nagy say he's told the players it isn't his job to make them happy. These guys need to grow up. It was embarrassing to a lot of people when Moeller was nailed on the pot conviction. But State stuck with him. I wonder where he's going to send his money to when he graudates. I'll bet it ain't SDSU. That's the place that provided a scholarship for 4 years. SDSUfan - why don't you talk about his loyalty. As far as I can tell Andy Moeller is interested in one thing and that's Anyd Moeller.

Comment

Jack:

I dont disagree with you, but Andy is gone and lets move on. I see no need to continue to tear him apart and how he feels about SDSU and his self centered attittude. Moeller is now Morgenthaler's Schott and Hansen's problem.

I dont think Morgenthaler will be as patient with Andy as Coach Nagy was. I recall Morgenthaler almost got into a fist fight with an NDSU assistant at Fort Hays during a regional game (1998) where SDSU pulled out a close win over NDSU. The NDSU guy apparently said something during the game-end high five hand shakes and Morgenthaler lost it. Fortunately Schott and some of the big guys grab him and calmed him down. So Morgenthaler has a temper and Moeller probably knows that. Good luck to both coach and player. SDSU has no dog in that fight.

Comment

SDSUfan agreed, we need to move on. I just feel bad for Nagy because next year is going to be tough enough without a little veteran leadership.

Comment

If the Moeller transfer story bears out, MSU will have a great chance at winning the NCC next season. We have a lot of good players back from a very competive team last year. I assume that having a chance to play for a national championship had a bearing on his decision. Needless to say, MSU would be very happy to have him.

Comment

There are two reasons why MSU wont win a championship next, besides the fact they will have all the talent in the league. First, they dont play any defense. Moeller might bring a little to the table, but once he realizes how much the other players dont care about it, he defensive effort will begin to slide also. The other reason, Matt Margenthaler. The guy cant even handle his own life, how is he supposed to handle a basketball team. He teaches zero dicipline, and unless you score 20 ppg, he doesnt think you are worth a crap.

I think Moeller is making a huge mistake by going there, and I hope he doesnt end up in jail while he is there. Because he sure wont be getting any kind of leadership or direction while he is over there.

Just another trip to the regionals...whoppty do!! Why leave a school where you have a slight chance in getting the all-time scoring title? Or why leave a program that has been with you through thick and thin?

I hope all the best to Andy, but I think that all the best is right here in Jackrabbit Country.

Comment

Working...
                                X