Top 5 Best Jackrabbit MBB Players of All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 5 Best Jackrabbit MBB Players of All-Time

To support how the game has changed over the years, I believe TV asked Brayden Carlson how it felt to be the 45th player to have scored 1000 points in his career. It struck me that we have had 45 players since Virg Riley score more than 1000 pts. What is surprising is that none of the 45 include players before 1950. I heard from the real old timers tell that Sonny Jim Schmidt was one of the best. A WWII vet who played Service ball with players who went on to the NBA, and played at SDSU before and after WWII, but did he score 1000 pts in his playing career? Apparently not. Also defensive players are often for gotten as are good free throw shooters. Jim Sutton was 86% for his career, a record that stood until Tom McDonald came along. According to the media guide, his career was 88%. Think of all the points that were put on the board while the clock was not running. I did see Tom play some in 1985-86. I noticed none of the McDonalds are mentioned, but were very good athletes.

I guess what I am saying is that any player who has worn the yellow and blue was a very good player in their own right.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 02-06-2014, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      My freshman year was the year Colburn and Dave Thomas were seniors. First half of the season in the barn; second half in new Frost Arena. Jim Marking was the coach. That was a fun team and I was reminded when watching the Jackrabbit Insider Sunday evening that Dave Thomas was the NCC Most Valuable but Lee Colburn was all-conference and All-American!

Steve Brown was something to see. Tie him up hands behind his back, blindfold, add 50 lbs of lead weight and throw him in the swimming pool...he still makes the shot.
      Regretably I missed this era, I lived in Dayton Ohio, and no JumpTV.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        To support how the game has changed over the years, I believe TV asked Brayden Carlson how it felt to be the 46th player to have scored 1000 points in his career. It struck me that we have had 46 players since Virg Riley score more than 1000 pts. What is surprising is that none of the 46 include players before 1950. I heard from the real old timers tell that Sonny Jim Schmidt was one of the best. A WWII vet who played Service ball with players who went on to the NBA, and played at SDSU before and after WWII, but did he score 1000 pts in his playing career? Apparently not. Also defensive players are often for gotten as are good free throw shooters. Jim Sutton was 86% for his career, a record that stood until Tom McDonald came along. According to the media guide, his career was 88%. Think of all the points that were put on the board while the clock was not running. I did see Tom play some in 1985-86. I noticed none of the McDonalds are mentioned, but were very good athletes.

I guess what I am saying is that any player who has worn the yellow and blue was a very good player in their own right.
        I think we can all agree on the bold. Sempstrott's career is testimony to the idea that everybody on the roster can play ball, some just aren't able to shine in certain circumstances.

You know, some of my favorite Jackrabbits were on some of the worst teams we had. Guys like Beran, Kleinjan, Loney, Engen, Casey, etc. Nobody would argue they are all time greats (other than maybe Beran), but I have a real appreciation for their dedication to SDSU through the tough times. Few guys stayed 4 years back in those days.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Regretably I missed this era, I lived in Dayton Ohio, and no JumpTV.
          Is that a good thing or a bad thing though?
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            Is that a good thing or a bad thing though?
            Good I think!!!!, but there are times not so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              I think we can all agree on the bold. Sempstrott's career is testimony to the idea that everybody on the roster can play ball, some just aren't able to shine in certain circumstances.

You know, some of my favorite Jackrabbits were on some of the worst teams we had. Guys like Beran, Kleinjan, Loney, Engen, Casey, etc. Nobody would argue they are all time greats (other than maybe Beran), but I have a real appreciation for their dedication to SDSU through the tough times. Few guys stayed 4 years back in those days.
              I can't think of his name, Grizzled Jack help me out, the in between coach between Thorson and Nagy, did not have much use for Sempsrott and Sempsrott darn near transferred out. Nagy saved the day by coming in when he did and the rest is history. Ironic to say the least. I remember Fort Hays, that had a guy who resembled Jason Semprott and it was fun to see those two square off.

Comment

I've seen all of those on JackMD's list play, from Don Jacobsen up through Jordan Dykstra, and we have had so many good players on the team that it will always be hard to reach a consensus. But I would say from my perspective that Doc's list was pretty darn accurate (with maybe a little juggling between second and third teams, and with some players left out who could compete with some of the names on those two squads. Rep points Doc!

Comment

1. Nate Wolters
                  2. Jordan Dykstra
                  3. Clint Sargeant
                  4. Chris White
                  5. Mark Tezlaff

The D-1 players are just so much better. However, If you are scoring over 1800 points in a 4 year career you are dang good. Chris White did in two years what most couldn't do in 4 years.

IMO, Dykstra is a lock on this list with Wolters and Chris White everyone else could get bumped by another player.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    I've seen all of those on JackMD's list play, from Don Jacobsen up through Jordan Dykstra, and we have had so many good players on the team that it will always be hard to reach a consensus. But I would say from my perspective that Doc's list was pretty darn accurate (with maybe a little juggling between second and third teams, and with some players left out who could compete with some of the names on those two squads. Rep points Doc!
                    I believe Don Jacobsen's finest hour was in the 1961 regional against Prairie View A&M. Prairie View had a guy named Zelmo Beatty who went on to the NBA and had a career. I was living in California at the time, but have heard many who were in attendence talk about this game. Such things as the historically black college had thought they had walked into a KKK rally when they walked into the barn. The Jacks were intimidating at home. No doubt about that, but I tend to believe we treated our opponents with respect. The Barn being much smaller could get very noisey when filled with fans, mostly students.

Comment

I can't think of his name, Grizzled Jack help me out, the in between coach between Thorson and Nagy, did not have much use for Sempsrott and Sempsrott darn near transferred out. Nagy saved the day by coming in when he did and the rest is history. Ironic to say the least. I remember Fort Hays, that had a guy who resembled Jason Semprott and it was fun to see those two square off.
                      Brad Soderburg.

I've heard Nagy speak on that (Semsprott) and he was the backup point guard to Showers (I think) as a freshman...and there was injury to someone, I can't remember who, my 43 year old memory is starting to fail me...but someone got hurt, and forced Nagy to start Sempsprott(I'm probably buthering his name) at the off-guard position...and he just took off.

Nagy's comment was "shows how much I know...I had him as back up point guard, and he got moved out of necessity, and ends up leading the conference in scoring".

Top 5 list? I can't make an accurate one, because I never saw Coburn, Thomas, Lingenfelder and those guys play...and I'm sure they would get a spot on the list.
                      1. Nate Wolters
                      2. Mark Tetzlaff
                      3. Chris White
                      4. Jason Sempsrott (didn't he lead the NCC in scoring and assists 2 straight years?...he's a forgotten great)
                      5. Jordan Dykstra
                      -And many, many, guys who were close to making the list. Austin Hansen...Matt Jones certainly would have made it with 2 more years. Kai Williams, Clint Sargent, Garrett Callahan... all could have been up there.

Comment

My 5.
                        1. Don Jacobsen
                        2. Lee Colburn
                        3. Dave Thomas
                        4. Nate Wolters
                        5. Chris White

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                          My 5.
                          1. Don Jacobsen
                          2. Lee Colburn
                          3. Dave Thomas
                          4. Nate Wolters
                          5. Chris White
                          This list is fine except you left Jim Schmidt off the list. Jim passed away in 2010, but if you read in his obituary, the current Governor was his son-in-law.

http://www.moodycountyenterprise.com...&story_id=2063

Comment

Working...
                          X