Top 5 Best Jackrabbit MBB Players of All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Best Jackrabbit MBB Players of All-Time

There was a lot of cool comparisons in another thread regarding Jordan Dykstra. It got me thinking about the Jackrabbit greats I've had the pleasure of watching. Thought it might be fun to have a Top 5 thread about it.

Here is my top 5 and why:

5. Jermaine Showers - Jermaine was a fantastic point guard. He had all of the tools and made his team better.
    4. Jordan Dykstra - Jordan's combination of size and agility make him special. A walking mismatch for defenders. 42%+ 3ptfg%
    3. Chris White - Chris had two amazing years at SDSU and was as good of a scorer as we have ever had.
    2. Mark Tetzlaff - SDSU's #2 scorer and an anchor on some of the best D2 teams ever. His speed with post moves remind me of McHale.
    1. Nate Wolters - No question the best player to ever put on the jersey. A joy to watch and a really humble young man.

Other notes:
    - Matt Jones had he played his career out would have no doubt been on this list. Just a shame he had health issues.
    - Lee Colburn probably belongs on this list and maybe as high as #3. He was before my time but those that I've heard talk about him say he was the real deal.
    - Steve "King Ling" Lingenfelter was the most imposing player I have seen. Just a beast under the basket. Played 2 years in NBA
    - Jason Sempsrott was an amazing player. As determined as I've ever seen. Pure shooter, could drive the basket, and before shot clock you could give him the ball up 5-6 with five minutes to go and run out the clock because he shot 93% from the line.
    - How is Austin Hansen not on the list? I didn't know who I would bump. Austin was a very pure shooter and had a consistent career. Clint Sargent was a better pure shooter.

My $.02! Post away!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: Top 5 Best Jackrabbit MBB Players of All-Time

I still think player should be grouped into top 5 DII players and top 5 DI players. The DI teams they've played against are better.

Before anybody gets all upset: Yes, there were definitely DII teams that could compete. We all know that. But the game-to-game grind of DI has been much tougher as the teams are much better from top to bottom.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Yes, a fun conversation to have, but I think it almost needs to be split into eras as well.

For instance Steve Brown did not have the benefit of a 3pt line. He may have been a better jump shooter than Austin Hanen.

Don Jacobsen wasn't allowed to play as a Freshman, and averaged 23.6 pts a game as a senior!

I guess without the era split, I would go Wolters, Brown, Tetzlaff, Jacobsen, and Colburn, and Lingenfelter...oh wait that is 6.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Nate Wolters - nothing more needs to be said
        Mark Tetzlaff - nothing more needs to be said
        Don Jacobsen - NCAA finals MVP, all NCC 3 times
        Lee Colburn - NCAA finals MOP, all NCC 3 times, National Champion
        Chris White - Greatest scorer in program history. Led his team to elite 8, Regional MVP, All NCC 2 times,

Dave Thomas
        Jason Sempstrott
        Steve Lingenfelter
        Austin Hansen
        Jordan Dykstra

Matt Jones
        Sid Bostic
        Tom Black
        Wayne Rasmussen
        Steve Brown

I didn't go pre-1960. Keep in mind the guys playing in the 60's weren't allowed to play varsity as freshman.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
          Yes, a fun conversation to have, but I think it almost needs to be split into eras as well.

For instance Steve Brown did not have the benefit of a 3pt line. He may have been a better jump shooter than Austin Hanen.

Don Jacobsen wasn't allowed to play as a Freshman, and averaged 23.6 pts a game as a senior!

I guess without the era split, I would go Wolters, Brown, Tetzlaff, Jacobsen, and Colburn, and Lingenfelter...oh wait that is 6.
          Add Chris White to my list, so that is 7.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Chris White - Greatest scorer in program history. Led his team to elite 8, Regional MVP, All NCC 2 times,

Dave Thomas
            Jason Sempstrott
            Steve Lingenfelter
            Austin Hansen
            Jordan Dykstra

Matt Jones
            Sid Bostic
            Tom Black
            Wayne Rasmussen
            Steve Brown

I didn't go pre-1960. Keep in mind the guys playing in the 60's weren't allowed to play varsity as freshman.
            Love seeing the thoughts of someone who watched some of the greats from before my time. You could certainly make an argument for separating the two eras. Maybe another list for another time.

Brown was a sweet shooter, no doubt about it. I remember that.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

If you're not going to split it into DI and DII eras...

IMO, its impossible to have the conversation without differentiating DI and DII. Too many "great" DII era players wouldn't even make today's roster, much less set records. I'm sure that will upset some posters.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

IMO, its impossible to have the conversation without differentiating DI and DII. Too many "great" DII era players wouldn't even make today's roster, much less set records. I'm sure that will upset some posters.
                That's a fair statement, but really depends on what criteria you are using to rank the players. Do you want to judge them by their body of work at SDSU, how much you personally enjoyed watching them, or do you want to judge them based on their individual talents?

For example - one of my favorites? James Banks.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Greatest or Best? Should we make that semantic argument as well? Most valuable or most outstanding, are they the same? Favorite or most popular?

Its just for fun and hopefully it forces some of the "newer" Jackrabbit fans to review the history of what is one of the most storied DII basketball programs in the nation (especially pre-1980's). Yes, the game was different back then. Yes, many of the players that are all-time great Jackrabbits would have a hard time competing at the current level. I would also argue that player "back then" had much less opportunity to be seen by programs outside the immediate upper midwest. In turn, many of them would have been DI players if they would have had the chance.

So, have fun with it. Its not about us its about the Jackrabbits and some of the greatest players of all time.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

My Jackrabbit viewpoint is mostly from the D1 era as I started at SDSU in 2006. However, I did make it down to a couple of games while in high school and clearly remember Matt Jones highlights. I also have plenty of pickup basketball games against Steve and John Brown and can only imagine how sweet their shots were in younger years. Again, this is a limited list because of my exposure to SDSU athletics.

5. Griff Callahan
                    4. Garrett Callahan
                    3. Kai Williams
                    2. Jordan Dykstra
                    1. Nate Wolters
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Again, maybe I am beating a dead horse, but prior to 1970's it wasn't even called DII and there was no DIII. There was the University Division and the College Division. In 1963 SDSU beat the following teams in the playoffs....Cornell (Iowa), Nebraska Weleyan, Fresno St, Southern Illinois, and Wittenburg. There was a great deal of NBA players that came out of the College Division (Phil Jackson-UND).

It's not fair to make a list of players after 1980 and compare them to the 1960's. My point is, with perspective, it is certainly reasonable for a person to leave Dykstra out of the top 5. And using the term "greatest" can be very arbitrary. Now "best" is very different. I suppose Jordan Dykstra could score at will on the Power Forwards from the 1950's.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                        I also have plenty of pickup basketball games against Steve and John Brown and can only imagine how sweet their shots were in younger years.
                        They can still shoot it up. Been to a couple HS Alumni games where they have played (I graduated from same high school, just much later) and Steve and John can still play at a high level...And they are still very competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

Dave Thomas
                          Jason Sempstrott
                          Steve Lingenfelter
                          Austin Hansen
                          Jordan Dykstra

Matt Jones
                          Sid Bostic
                          Tom Black
                          Wayne Rasmussen
                          Steve Brown

I like this list. I might switch Chris White and Austin Hansen. A strong case also could be made for plugging Dave Thomas or Jordan Dykstra into the top 5. That's about it. Any first five since 1960 almost has to include Wolters, Colburn, Tetzlaff and Jacobsen. That leaves one slot up for debate.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

My freshman year was the year Colburn and Dave Thomas were seniors. First half of the season in the barn; second half in new Frost Arena. Jim Marking was the coach. That was a fun team and I was reminded when watching the Jackrabbit Insider Sunday evening that Dave Thomas was the NCC Most Valuable but Lee Colburn was all-conference and All-American!

Steve Brown was something to see. Tie him up hands behind his back, blindfold, add 50 lbs of lead weight and throw him in the swimming pool...he still makes the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                              Again, maybe I am beating a dead horse, but prior to 1970's it wasn't even called DII and there was no DIII. There was the University Division and the College Division. In 1963 SDSU beat the following teams in the playoffs....Cornell (Iowa), Nebraska Weleyan, Fresno St, Southern Illinois, and Wittenburg. There was a great deal of NBA players that came out of the College Division (Phil Jackson-UND).

It's not fair to make a list of players after 1980 and compare them to the 1960's. My point is, with perspective, it is certainly reasonable for a person to leave Dykstra out of the top 5. And using the term "greatest" can be very arbitrary. Now "best" is very different. I suppose Jordan Dykstra could score at will on the Power Forwards from the 1950's.
                              I Agree whole heartily with what was said. I might add that the College and University started 1956-57 year. Prior to that the entire NCC were NAIA members. The competition, rules and amout of time devoted to the game have greatly changed. The legends mentioned are all great in their era.

Comment

Working...
                              X