Mirror Scheduling to Continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mirror Scheduling to Continue

The biggest reason I might endorse the doubleheader is when the Jackrabbits play NDSU, Omaha, or the yotes I might attend the road games. In the past(before mirror schedules), we could go to Fargo and watch a game on Friday night and another game on Saturday night in lieu of a doubleheader. Those trips are not a possibility now for the one game or two game weeks without the doubleheader. Overall, I would guess the attendance or paid gate receipts are greater with more games which may not care about days off or travel on a Sunday.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Double hitters seem to be high school and a thing of the past. In case no one noticed we are now D1 and the name of the game is maximizing revenue. How better way of doing it by holding Games separately, namely men and women? I suspect measuring revenue under the old scheme was difficult to attribute to men vs. women game. When do you stop counting ticket bought to see the women play and start to see those who came to see the men game? By separating them you now have an accurate count for each event. Particularly parents of women players would pack up and leave after the women's game was over. Some were just women's fans and that is not any more wrong then being strictly a men's fan. If we maximize revenue, then this is the way to go. I know my outlook is not popular, but those are the facts as I see them.

Comment

The women lost a lot of radio exposure after mirror scheduling when WNAX AM had to choose which games to broadcast and understandably chose the men. If not for the audio on Jackrabbit Extra , there is no way I could listen to the women.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          I'm sure there are about 75 die-hard IPFW women's basketball fans who are outraged.

That many?
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

attendance figures from 2007-2008 to present: average from gojacks for home games

2007-08 mens 2186 womens 2343
            2008-09 mens 2487 womens 2803
            2009-10 mens 2204 womens 2394
            2010-11 mens 2503 womens 1882
            2011-12 mens 3320 womens 2403
            2012-13 mens 3625 womens 2028
            2013-14 mens 2067 womens 1651 thru 9 games for both teams

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              I'm sure there are about 75 die-hard IPFW women's basketball fans who are outraged.
              Yeah, but then their player daughters graduate.
              Last edited by rabidrabbit; 01-22-2014, 04:48 PM.

Comment

North Dakota St WBB from their 90's domination was recognized in the Basketball Hall of Fame for their accomplishments, when I was there in June. That's another place that if they can get back to their winning ways would likely have 2K crowds for their WBB.

NDSU WBB coach is sooooo gone after this season. There is the case against multi-year contracts.

Comment

AJ had an interview with TV in the Argus. AJ did not seem to be sold on the mirror concept. He did not have any strong recommendations either. Although it would be hard not to have the entire conference on the same schedule system. He thought one of the drawbacks was 1 more game that competed for attendance. The double header games and 2 individual games every other week was less demanding for fans than 2 games per week. He did not refer to the advantage of not using a Sunday for the women on practice/travel.
                  NDSU should have a better crowd this week after a victory over Western. It would have been nice to see that game under the old format of 2 games in 2 days at Fargo. I also believe that Rabidrabbit is accurate in his prediction of DeHoff leaving Fargo. Rumor is that she may be downsizing by selling her home.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Was there a difference in ticket cost for DH vs. single game?

Comment

Mirror scheduling is a crime for those of us who like to watch/hear both teams...but unfortunately the rest of the league doesn't feel the same. The issue stemmed from coaches of women's teams (at other schools) who never had a day off on the weekend, and in some cases felt that the student athletes missed Monday/Tuesday class schedules when universities tend to have schedules heavy on Monday-Thursday times.

I do credit our department for attempting to deal with it by scheduling our Saturday home games at different times than the other teams (WBB or MBB) game time on the road (2 p.m. and 4 p.m. game times). I am with Filbert however...WE HATE MIRROR SCHEDULING.

Comment

Working...
                      X