Mirror Scheduling to Continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror Scheduling to Continue

TV just tweeted that mirror scheduling will continue for the 2014/15 season. The coaches obviously must like it , but for the fans it has to be one of the worst ideas ever.

Re: Mirror Scheduling to Continue

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    TV just tweeted that mirror scheduling will continue for the 2014/15 season. The coaches obviously must like it , but for the fans it has to be one of the worst ideas ever.
    The fans pay the bills,how has it affected revenue,good or bad?

Comment

I am an unhappy filbert.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I agree...mirror scheduling blows. I think SDSU is really the only school in the league that cares though. Since we are the only school that draws well for our women's BB team. Other schools just want to avoid the games they had on Mondays. And they don't want to come to Brookings on a Sat. double header night. Those are just my opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          I agree...mirror scheduling blows. I think SDSU is really the only school in the league that cares though. Since we are the only school that draws well for our women's BB team. Other schools just want to avoid the games they had on Mondays. And they don't want to come to Brookings on a Sat. double header night. Those are just my opinions.
          I think you nailed it. It's hard to imagine another Summit fan base caring. Most would not notice if women's games were moved to 2AM on Monday and Tuesdays. However, based on their showing this year, you could probably say the same about SDSU students' attitude towards WBB.

Comment

I'm sure there are about 75 die-hard IPFW women's basketball fans who are outraged.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

From a fans perspective this sucks, but for the coaches and athletes they have to love it. Sometimes we have to remember that we are dealing with STUDENT athletes here and mirror scheduling undoubtedly makes it easier to concentrate on the student part.

Comment

I live close enough that 2 games a week is not a problem. I did like the doubleheader games. Some do not like the long day with 2 games. I hear some people say that they do not like the mirror schedule for travel, but they would have 3 trips for Thursday, Saturday, and Monday. The current schedule requires 2 trips every week and squeezes the schedule every week. I am trying to understand the benefit for the student-athlete and time saved. If someone could give the pros and cons for the students, that would be a help. Has anyone seen attendance figures for the increase or decrease with mirror schedules?
                The Omaha game did find more students at the game on Saturday. It is good to see the end bleachers filled with students. Also the general admission was as full as I have seen this year. The bleachers above could have been pulled out on one end since many were standing above the rail on the ends. Now it would be as important for the season ticket holders to beef up their attendance as well. There should be about 2000 season tickets sold.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  I live close enough that 2 games a week is not a problem. I did like the doubleheader games. Some do not like the long day with 2 games. I hear some people say that they do not like the mirror schedule for travel, but they would have 3 trips for Thursday, Saturday, and Monday. The current schedule requires 2 trips every week and squeezes the schedule every week. I am trying to understand the benefit for the student-athlete and time saved. If someone could give the pros and cons for the students, that would be a help. Has anyone seen attendance figures for the increase or decrease with mirror schedules?
                  The Omaha game did find more students at the game on Saturday. It is good to see the end bleachers filled with students. Also the general admission was as full as I have seen this year. The bleachers above could have been pulled out on one end since many were standing above the rail on the ends. Now it would be as important for the season ticket holders to beef up their attendance as well. There should be about 2000 season tickets sold.
                  It was changed more for the women. W/ women playing on Saturday/Monday they didn't get a day off (either school or training).

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    It was changed more for the women. W/ women playing on Saturday/Monday they didn't get a day off (either school or training).
                    If you are on the road, how does that differ from Thursday/Saturday?
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                      If you are on the road, how does that differ from Thursday/Saturday?
                      True. It doesn't differ if you are on the road (except if you are playing at USD/Omaha/NDSU on Saturday then they would travel home to Brookings after the game).

Previous, non-mirror scheduling years, Men would always get Sundays off (from training and attending class) but Women would be practicing on Sunday in preparation of Monday's game.

Mirror scheduling was also changed to get away from Monday games.

Comment

Has there been any information about attendance increase or decrease?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          True. It doesn't differ if you are on the road (except if you are playing at USD/Omaha/NDSU on Saturday then they would travel home to Brookings after the game).

Previous, non-mirror scheduling years, Men would always get Sundays off (from training and attending class) but Women would be practicing on Sunday in preparation of Monday's game.

Mirror scheduling was also changed to get away from Monday games.
                          This is the best way to put it.

I think that the 2 main drawbacks were not having a full day off(Sunday) from both practice and school and some people thought that Monday night wasn't as good of a night to play as Thursday. More people will go out and do things on a Thursday night(only one more work day) but going out when the week just started was tougher.

I think that you would miss more class playing Thursday and Saturday compared to Saturday and Monday. It's probably only about 4 afternoons so it's not much but being gone 2 full and 1 partial days is more than 1 full day and 2 partial days.

I think it would be a lot different if many of the season ticket holders just went to the men's or women's games and then stayed home and watched/listened to their road games but I don't think this is happening. The students are going to the men's games so if the showed up early for a doubleheader that would help the women's attendance but it doesn't seem like most students want to follow the women.

I think it stinks because it would be nice to have more than 1 in the next 9 Saturday's off but who asked me.

Comment

why not go to double headers. that would seem to solve some of the issues. I think it also affects tv stuff when USD, NDSU, SDSU all play games at the same time, so its hard for TV to get as many games to watch. Mirror scheduling is dumb for many reason. Why not move women to tuesday or wensday games with saturday games. I was really hoping to hear they were going away from this. since i follow most games on the radio i get which ever one is closest usually. I would think sponors and advertisers are not a big fan of mirror scheduling too.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              why not go to double headers. that would seem to solve some of the issues. I think it also affects tv stuff when USD, NDSU, SDSU all play games at the same time, so its hard for TV to get as many games to watch. Mirror scheduling is dumb for many reason. Why not move women to tuesday or wensday games with saturday games. I was really hoping to hear they were going away from this. since i follow most games on the radio i get which ever one is closest usually. I would think sponors and advertisers are not a big fan of mirror scheduling too.
                              Tuesday/Wednesday and Saturday schedules would have them miss a lot of class when their on the road and/or increase travel budgets.

Comment

Working...
                              X