BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BASKETBALL RECRUITING

I really, really, really don't understand why we even respond to these drive-by USD posters. Hell, they don't even have a board of their own to post to.

Hey, USD alumni...it ain't that hard to set up a blog or a board.

Go set up the USD Booster board (or whatever you call yourselves) and leave SDSU to sink or swim in the big time. Your envy is tiresome and frankly unworthy of you, but from long bitter experience, that's all that we at State have come to expect from you. We are better off without you. You're probably better off without us, too. The State-U rivalry brings out the worst in those clad in vermillion and cream, and the best of those in blue and yellow.

If we meet again on the fields or courts of athletics, you may score more points than us, but you will never defeat us. We know better. We aim higher.

Unless you radically modify your attitude, you'll always be a "small college."

Have a nice life.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
      usd has a hellava freshman class coming in for baseball don't they?  Oh, never mind .  Here's a question for ya redandwhine...do you ever get sick of watching--at best--a sh***y football program?
      I am certain that Dave Boots has recruited talented athletes who can compete at the DII level and even beat some of the best DIII and NAIA teams in the nation. Sioux Falls College (I can't call them a university), Mount Marty, Peru St. and UIowa (Upper that is) better get on the ball or USD will dominate the now mid-level (at best) DII NCC conference and all of NAIA and DIII. GO COYOTES, win the irrelevant cup!
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Hey Guys, I'm back!!! I've been busy finishing finals for this week (It takes a lot of time to study for finals that aren't in Cows 101 or Uses for Pig Manure 213). This board gets pretty boring when I'm not around!

So first, I don't really understand what you meant by:

I am certain that Dave Boots has recruited talented athletes who can compete at the DII level and even beat some of the best DIII and NAIA teams in the nation
        Maybe you should read some bios and then get back to me Jackmd-

From USD-
        Becker earned First-Team All-State and All-Metro honors as a senior at Osseo High School. The 5-11, point guard averaged 19.5 points and 5.6 assists per game in 2003-04. A two-time all-conference selection, Becker helped lead Osseo to a runner-up finish at the state tournament as a junior.

From SDSU-

Cadwell was a two-time first-team all St. Paul City Conference selection. He earned 2nd Team all-state recognition .

I think if you compare our two recruiting classes USD easily got the better class. With Moeller leaving next season I've figured out that you have lost 4 of your 5 starters with Jones not even sure if hes going to be back (That would be all five of your starters), and yet you think your going to have even a mediocre season next year. You can keep blabbing about how "Coach Nagy knows what hes doing" until the cows come home (sorry about the pun) but the truth is you are going to be absolutely destroyed by D-I caliber teams, and I wouldn't rule out going .500 against just D-II teams. I think for sure that Northern will be able to beat you next season. I already know that within 20 minutes of this post though there is going to be someone saying something about how successful they are going to be next season, ignoring all of these blatent facts staring them in the face. And don't try and tell me "its about 20 years from now" because none of you really think that. All of you say that, but only because you are delisional about some miracle happening next season, and you don't really think that your going to have the crap beat out of you next season. I wish I could see the look on your faces when you have your 5th 50 point loss of the season and finally hits you that your a wannabe D-I school, and that things aren't going to get better for SDSU within your lifetimes.

Comment

RedandWhine,

We have a special thread set up for you.  Please feel free to post there all you want.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1078424916

jackmd wrote:

After reading all the posts from concerned USD, UND, UNO, and even timid SDSU fans (hereon referred to as "you&quot, I thought it was time to give all of you your own subject under which to post.  DI envy seems most appropriate, after all it is jealousy that underlies the feelings expressed by those oppossed to SDSU's move.  

Sure, there are feeling of inadequacy and inferiority also, but you can't blame us (SDSU supporters) for that.  As a former first lady once said:

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."  
          Eleanor Roosevelt 1884-1962, American First

So, post away.  Some of us welcome your concern and hope that you keep SDSU in the forefront.  I am certain it also helps you deal with the feelings of inadequacy, inferiority and envy that have resulted from the bad choices you have made thus far in your life.  No worries, I anticipate you'll continue to make the same poor decisions in the future.

So, wish us luck if you have the respect and self-esteem to do so.  If you don't, do what you have to do to protect your fragile ego.  We're going to be here regardless.

Comment

R&W,

Some perspective:

No matter how great your recruits are they will be competing against DII, DIII, and NAIA players and teams. No DI teams will be playing in Vermillion for the next 20 years (probably eternity).

In 20 years I may be attending the graduation of my oldest daughter from the best DI university (probably only) in S.D. If, by some odd twist of fate, you are allowed to reproduce and can figure out how, you will be trying desperately to talk your children into attending SDSU because of what it has become and begging them not to attend USD (which is now is S. Falls) just because their flunky boyfriend/girlfriend "goes there".

Finally, speaking from experience, the courses I completed during my undergraduated years at SDSU were relatively more difficult than what I encountered in medical school at USD. Entering my first year of medical school I was more prepared for the courses than students who attended USD, Augie, or other schools.

You're just a kid (which is obvious in your posts) and you don't get it, yet. Like many, it may be too late when you do "see the light". I can promise you that the majority of posters to this board are entering the new DI era at SDSU with our eyes wide-open. We expect it to be succesful just as things have been in the past. Success or failure will not be determined in 1,2, or even 5 or 10 years. Success will be measured over a much longer time period.

Continue to enjoy your time at USD and in Vermillion. College is great and you will never experience the same things again. When you really want to have fun travel north to Brookings to see a DI game. If you ever grow-up, take a look back at 2004 when USD failed to to follow the lead of the more progressive universities in the region. It will help explain alot about the struggles they continued to have. As for their athletic teams, I doubt there will be any conference championships in FB or BB (if they have a team) and there still won't be a baseball team (they never should have tried to field a team in the first place). If you would like to continue to "hang around" with the SDSU fans on this site, feal free. Just try to keep a lid on the jealousy and don't let that inferiority complex make you a bitter boy.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RedandWhite

I think if you compare our two recruiting classes USD easily got the better class.  

RedandWhine,

Honestly we already had a better class then USD (whoever they are. . . ???  ) before National Letter of Intent day.  Landon Scott makes our class  better then  USD's by himself.   Scott broke the all-time Sioux City scoring record held by Kirk Hinrich, who went on the play at Kansas and is now a Chicago Bull.

All you need to know about the Becker v. Cadwell argument is that Becker is LISTED at 5'11".  To short for D-I ball.  That is why EVERY D-I schools took a pass on him.  

Go State!  8)    

Comment

Red and Whine...
                I also know that one of your new recruits did'nt have enough confidence in his abilities to play D1 ball. He didnt think that he would be able to play until his Jr or Sr. season at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by RedandWhite

I think if you compare our two recruiting classes USD easily got the better class.  

Dear Mr. Red and Wipe,

Clarification please!

Were you talking about basketball or baseball?

Basketball you could maybe debate, but until they actually play a season no one really knows for sure. High school accollades do not always translate into college performance. Some players just can't make the transition.

On the other hand if you meant baseball there really is no debate because "USD has no class" (of recruits I mean). You were probably arguing who had the best baseball recruiting class last year, weren't you!

Who has the best one next year?

Comment

I just figured I'd give you guys a little ammo.  
                    Scroll down to the post from "Woodside-guy".

One guy's opinion of Jesse Becker

Comment

Hinrich of the Bulls made the first team NBA all rookie team this season. Landon Scott will be a nice addition to a talented Jack team next year.

Comment

I just figured I'd give you guys a little ammo.
                        Scroll down to the post from "Woodside-guy".

One guy's opinion of Jesse Becker
                        No offense bison, but woodside guy sounds like an idiot. Here's another of his posts I really liked:

The Gophers found out about him to late in the recruiting picture and Gopher coaches said he was the best guard in the state this year after they saw him, but it was to late to get him.
                        Seriously, this has to be the stupidest post I've ever read. Is he actually saying that the gophers let the best guard in the state just slip under the radar? I doubt hes in the top 10 guards in the state. Even if he is soooo good, where were the other big 10 schools at on this one? They must have got to him "too late". LOL. I guess how I can see "the best guard in minnesota" would want to go to a school with as much basketball tradition at NDSU. LOL. There even more pathetic than SDSU, going D-I because of their football championships 15 years ago. Way to go losers. Back to woodside though, its more likely hes a good D-2 recruit that is way too cocky, and got a pass from the gophers.

Hinrich of the Bulls made the first team NBA all rookie team this season. Landon Scott will be a nice addition to a talented Jack team next year.
                        You better hope hes good. Do you think that he'll be the equivlent of moeller? If he is that would be great, because then you would break even for one player, and still have a huge net loss of talent on your team. I don't understand how you don't see the losing season coming. You guys tell me:
                        1. Whos your leader going to be? One of the freshman? Jones (if he plays or even stays there)
                        2. Whos your center going to be?
                        3. Whos your backcourt going to be. Some inexperienced freshman, and a first year Juco?

I don't know how to make it any clearer. Your screwed next season plain and simple. If any of you can answer these questions without saying that Nagy will pull something out of his ass I'll be amazed.

All you need to know about the Becker v. Cadwell argument is that Becker is LISTED at 5'11". To short for D-I ball. That is why EVERY D-I schools took a pass on him.
                        Ask your friends up north about 5'11" being too short for D-I. I think that he wanted to move to a national championship caliber program instead of some loser D-I wannabe program. Anyway, I'll take the 5'11" size players like mueller and beat your 6'1" size player like Q and Moeller.

Were you talking about basketball or baseball?
                        I've been trying to be the bigger man here, but if the baseball jokes continue, i'll be force to resort to AD jokes to counter. Consider this your only warning. By the way my point that USD got the better recruiting class still stands.

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ
                          Until they actually play a season no one really knows for sure. High school accollades do not always translate into college performance.  Some players just can't make the transition.

I stand by my statement above.

How are you going to keep all 21 players happy with their playing time next year? A recruiting class sitting out with a red shirt won't help your team at all this year.

Comment

Red and White,
                            Are you implying in your above post that a student athlete chose to come to USD to be part of a National Championship Caliber program. If so they must be involved with track because no other sport there is close or has been close for some time. How many elite eights, or football playoffs, or anything have you guys had in the last ten years. I understand that SDSU hasn't been burning up the D2 ranks either, but that logic in argument is ridiculous.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Until they actually play a season no one really knows for sure. High school accollades do not always translate into college performance. Some players just can't make the transition.
                              Highschool accollades are pretty good indicator though aren't they? Of course there no guaruntee of a players ability before they get to a college, if they'll be amazing, or terrible, and luck does have some to do with it, (I'll admit that from seeing Glas hit the jackpot with beasely), but there are still ways to tell how good players will be, and newspaper rankings like the ones that have our guy better than yours are one of those ways. Thats how successful programs are built, the ability of coaches to bring in highly rated recruits to their program, and is also one of the reasons that your going to be in trouble for the next twenty years. SDSU definitely has the capability to bring in good recruits at the D-II level, but not the D-I level. Theres not a pop. in SD to have enough recriuts, and the D-I schools around here are going to take the players out of their state, and SD before SDSU has a chance at them. I don't envy the position that Nagy is in at all.

How are you going to keep all 21 players happy with their playing time next year? A recruiting class sitting out with a red shirt won't help your team at all this year.
                              We won't, we'll only keep the best. The rest of them can go play in NSIC or at another NCC school. I would rather keep the best of 21 than try to get a team out of 2 new recruits after losing four starters.

Comment

Red and White,
                                Are you implying in your above post that a student athlete chose to come to USD to be part of a National Championship Caliber program. If so they must be involved with track because no other sport there is close or has been close for some time. How many elite eights, or football playoffs, or anything have you guys had in the last ten years. I understand that SDSU hasn't been burning up the D2 ranks either, but that logic in argument is ridiculous.
                                I was talking about the next few years, but maybe that was a little bit of school spirit talking. Honestly though, with the team we'll have in place over the next couple of years, or even next year would you be surprised by a coyote men's elite eight appearance? Metro will be down, the only competition I can see would be UND, Mankato, or else Northern, but I think the coyotes can do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X