No announcement yet.

GDT: SDSU vs Lehigh (Legends Classic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU vs Lehigh (Legends Classic)

They would also find a way to work in the phrase "Woodside and company".

I know the teams they beat the last two nights are not exactly Sweet 16 material, but I am content with two less than pretty wins. No, our current level of play is definitely not good enough to compete for a Summit title, but I do see progress. There is not going to be any magic fast-forward button that suddenly takes this team to that level. IF they get there, it's going to be a long, bumpy road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      They would also find a way to work in the phrase "Woodside and company".

I know the teams they beat the last two nights are not exactly Sweet 16 material, but I am content with two less than pretty wins. No, our current level of play is definitely not good enough to compete for a Summit title, but I do see progress. There is not going to be any magic fast-forward button that suddenly takes this team to that level. IF they get there, it's going to be a long, bumpy road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      After watching the Bison get dismantled by UND the other night are you sure about your Summit title statement? The Bison seem to have a couple problems. One, the style they play does not benefit them under the new rules. Two, Braun seems to be the only offense they have at times. The same may happen to us when we go up to Grand Forks, but we weren't picked to be a top mid-major this year who gets little resistance on our way to a Summit title and NCAA birth. That Bison loss was ugly, very ugly.

As for us, we have our issues but we are improving. We know what our seniors can do, but Larson is going to be a beast by mid-season. It seemed that this team needed(s) some D1 wins to gain confidence. They got two the past couple of nights. Great competition or not, those were D1 wins and at least Lehigh is as good as the teams in the middle of the Summit. We will be fine, we have experience on this team but we also have a lot of new moving parts. The loss of Bittle will hurt (if he is gone for the season). But I am still optimistic that this team can compete every night.

And again, did I say; LARSON is going to be huge as the season goes on.

Comment

The game last night was very impressive to me. There was a lot of growth for the team and for the most part played a solid game. They certainly showed at times what this team is capable of and that has to give them a boost of confidence. As Nagy stated, there were still some lapses in that play but for most of the game it was better. The shooting percentages were better but not great.

The thing that impressed me the most was right out of the gate when Chad White passed on a shot and Nagy immediately replaced him with Cory Jacobsen. He said in his post-game comments on Monday that if players are going to pass on those shots then he will put someone in that is ready to take them. I don't bring this up to pick on Chad. He's a senior and we need him to be consistently good and I have no doubt that he knows what they want. I bring it up because it sent a message to the whole team that if you don't do your job then you will be on the bench. Replacing him with Jacobsen was the perfect choice to emphasize that point. From that point forward I didn't see anyone hesitate much.

A long way to go but definitely seeing them progress on the court. The prize is in Sioux Falls and that is when we need to be at our best!

Good luck in Cali men!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think Carlson had 2 TO's in that stretch when SDSU had 5 To's in 2+ minutes. That part of the game was ugly but the rest wasn't too bad.
          I did notice that Nagy took White out after not shooting the open shot in both halves. It was a quick yank in the 2nd half. I guess he has to learn that you shoot. Even if you don't make it, you'll get more leeway than if you don't shoot it.
          I thought that Dykstra had more then 3 TO's. I guess he only had 1 at the beginning of the 2nd half. Nagy took him out of the game quickly so I thought that he had 2 or 3 quick ones then.
          White and Broman both look so much more aggressive after they hit a shot. I don't know if Broman needed a good game to feel comfortable at the college level but he looked a little more aggressive on Tuesday that he has all season. If he stays that way; Carlson, Dykstra and him will give us multiple threats that want to shoot when they get the ball. (I'm not saying that they are ball hogs but that is what leads to some of their TO's. If you are aggressive, there is a better chance of good/bad things happening).
          With Larson and Broman playing better this team looks better than it did a week ago. I don't know if Dykstra can keep up this pace but they are looking like they will mold into a pretty good team.

Comment

Something that was missing last night was the fouls. Both teams had fewer fouls called than the day before. Even though there were fewer calls, Jordan shot 12-13 at the line. That is 2 games in a row that a big guy shot very high percentage at the line. If we maintain that level(75%+) of success at the line and shoot in the 40% level from the field, that will win many games. In addition the big men are pulling their wieght with the rebounding as well. Jordan and Cody might be the Jack's twin towers that could dominate the Summit this year. As Nagy is showing, he is tweaking the rotation and he is not in a rut at this time.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

It will be interesting to see if Nagy sticks with the smaller starting line-up that he used last night with two guards , White at the 3 and Jordan at the 4. I think Dykstra creates more of a mis-match when he plays the 4 and makes a bigger player come out to the perimeter to guard him , plus it is easier on him defensively if he doesn't have to chase a small forward all over the court. It also gives Larson more room to operate down low if a second big isn't in there to clog things up. If everyone is healthy , my ideal starting line-up would be Larson , Dykstra , White , Bittle and Carlson with Heemstra and Broman first off the bench.

Comment

[QUOTE=jacksfan29;240919]After watching the Bison get dismantled by UND the other night are you sure about your Summit title statement? The Bison seem to have a couple problems. One, the style they play does not benefit them under the new rules. Two, Braun seems to be the only offense they have at times. The same may happen to us when we go up to Grand Forks, but we weren't picked to be a top mid-major this year who gets little resistance on our way to a Summit title and NCAA birth. That Bison loss was ugly, very ugly.

QUOTE]

I'm definitely not ready to put the current version of the Jacks in the top-two, but who knows what is possible over the next month. The Bison definitely have to make a big adjustment in their style of play due to the new foul rules. They clearly struggled with that at UND. If they don't get that figured out they can certainly be beat on any given night by a team that is not afraid to attack the basket. I don't see a lot of that from the jumpshooting Jacks yet, but am hoping it develops as players get more comfortable in their roles. Wolters would already have shot 200 FT with these rules.

The other conference favorite, Denver, is impossible to begin to analyze because they have hardly been on the court. They have only played two games and will only have three under their belts by December 1. That seems crazy, considering that most Summit teams have already played five or more (SDSU will have played 8 times by Dec 1).

Comment

I don't really understand DU's schedule. They will be playing 13 games between Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve. Plus they head to Philly to play St. Joes on January 4th. Only 5 of those games are in Denver. Plus two games (CSU, Wyoming) are against "in state" rivals (Wyoming may as well be a Colorado school). I think we will know more about DU by Christmas, but that is a harsh OOC schedule which could take its toll. If they start slow in conference play I would not be shocked at all.

NDSU plays that physical, boring type of BB which I think the NCAA are attempting to get rid of with the new rules. Saul and Co will need to adjust or they will have some long nights watching their opponents shooting a lot of free throws.

QUOTE]

I'm definitely not ready to put the current version of the Jacks in the top-two, but who knows what is possible over the next month. The Bison definitely have to make a big adjustment in their style of play due to the new foul rules. They clearly struggled with that at UND. If they don't get that figured out they can certainly be beat on any given night by a team that is not afraid to attack the basket. I don't see a lot of that from the jumpshooting Jacks yet, but am hoping it develops as players get more comfortable in their roles. Wolters would already have shot 200 FT with these rules.

The other conference favorite, Denver, is impossible to begin to analyze because they have hardly been on the court. They have only played two games and will only have three under their belts by December 1. That seems crazy, considering that most Summit teams have already played five or more (SDSU will have played 8 times by Dec 1).[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                  X